The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-10-2024, 03:31 PM

Default Question about fixing tolex/case fabric

I have one of those inexpensive "Guardian" brand cases ..about 5 years old

I noticed when I picked it up yesterday about a foot of the tolex covering seam let go...The Plywood is exposed.
It is The edge that is away from the opening .Probably from sliding around in transport and being moved.
Should I use wood glue or Cyanocrylate/krazy glue to try and make it stick back down again? Any other suggestions?

The case is structurally fine and I would like to get a few more years out of her
thanks
Old 01-10-2024, 03:56 PM

The conventional wisdom is that standard DUCO Contact Cement is the go-to for gluing Tolex back down to wood on cases and amps. Been there done that, and have one more to repair to finish when time permits. A used guitar came to me with a virtually unused hard case and had a similar separation of Tolex as you describe.

If that is something you don't feel up to DIY, search for luggage repair or shoe repair in your area. As Wade Hampton often says here, a guitar case is simply a specialized piece of luggage.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The conventional wisdom is that standard DUCO Contact Cement is the go-to for gluing Tolex back down to wood on cases and amps. Been there done that, and have one more to repair to finish when time permits. A used guitar came to me with a virtually unused hard case and had a similar separation of Tolex as you describe.

If that is something you don't feel up to DIY, search for luggage repair or shoe repair in your area. As Wade Hampton often says here, a guitar case is simply a specialized piece of luggage.
I looked more carefully since I posted and there is a little de-lam going on in the plywood in the corner as well..I can use contact cement for all of it?

It came off so clean it almost looked 'steamed' off.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:19 AM

My new StewMac Princeton kit appears to have its tolex applied with white glue. I’ve used white glue and wax paper to keep the masking tape from adhering to make this sort of repair. That has worked well for me and any excess dried glue rubs off the vinyl easily with your finger.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-11-2024, 07:44 AM

I would use white or yellow glue: it has, IME, worked well for gluing loose Tolex edges, and also for the delaminating ply. It's also cleans up with water. Duco has its uses, but it's solvent based and messy to clean up(requiring a nasty solvent). Duco is not, IMO, appropriate to reglue delaminating plywood.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:48 AM

I use fish glue for that sort of thing. I think Duco is a good suggestion too. Maybe something like Welwood Contact cement too. CA would work but it's got the potential to make a big mess and you have to work fast and accurate.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
I would use white or yellow glue: it has, IME, worked well for gluing loose Tolex edges, and also for the delaminating ply. It's also cleans up with water. Duco has its uses, but it's solvent based and messy to clean up(requiring a nasty solvent). Duco is not, IMO, appropriate to reglue delaminating plywood.
I went ahead and used white glue (yellowish).... since it was such a fine complex radiused edge I couldn't picture using the contact without a mess..it had let go right in the waist and around the lower bout of the case.
I glued the laminate with a fine brush, let it dry.
Glued the tolex down around the corner, pulled pressure on it w/tape let it dry
Did a 'detail job' on the last little uncooperative spots and let it dry.
I masked off the edge so I didn't get a sloppy amount of excess.

It probably would have stayed good for awhile after that, but seeing as it let go right where the machine sewing was, I went ahead and took some BASEBALL bat tape and gave it a clean 'support' job. Yeah, it's not as awesome cosmetically, but I just wanted it to last another 5 years..

thanks for the input
-Marc aka Baseball

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair