The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Tube preamp's ... Help newbi understand ...

Gday friends ... I have decided to purchase a nice Mic mostly for vocal and some acoustic ... I am interested in the AKG 214 ... Anyhow I would like a tube preamp for it and noticed there are is allot to choose from ... Is there a huge difference in sound and quality say a $80. ART tube pre and the $ 195. Electro Harmonics .... Then there is the Blue Robbie at $699. ... I was also wondering what a compreser does ? I know I am totally on a learning curve ..... Thanx a bunch .... Davey

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

In doing research for studio recording I have read that you want a bunch of different mics and mic pres because every voice is different and will sound different depending on what you use. So I don't think there is a clear answer to your question, because while one might be more expensive it might not be the best for the situation.

Usually the higher priced pres will have more features to allow you to tweak the final sound more. I would hope that they also have better and more reliable electronics, but what do I know, my most expensive pre was $299.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM

Thanx Dragonfly for the reply ... I don't know were I would test that many Mic's and preamps ..... I think My budget max for a good tube pre is around $300 ..... so that in itself I suppose is limiting ..... Want good quality sound and it should be portable ...

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPATRIOT View Post
Thanx Dragonfly for the reply ... I don't know were I would test that many Mic's and preamps ..... I think My budget max for a good tube pre is around $300 ..... so that in itself I suppose is limiting ..... Want good quality sound and it should be portable ...
I'm not aware of any all-tube designs in that price range. Besides, having a tube in the circuit makes the sound different, not better. My advice: stretch your budget to $500 and get an FMR Audio RNP. Very portable with 2 channels, each with phantom power, phase reverse, & a direct in. IMHO, it's far superior to any budget tube unit.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 AM

Rick is giving good advice. You are buying a nice mic, so get the best preamp--tube or solid state--that you can get within your budget. If you can go to $500 that is even better. This thread has some good info:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...amp-500-a.html

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

By and large, the high the price is on a unit, the better its basic sound and the lower its noise. There are, of course, exceptions.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Thanx for the input/help guys ....... Im on a big learning curve

_____ Onward & Upward !!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 PM

just imagine a compressor is like a ceiling. A compressor allows you to dictate the max volume of anything you plug into it. It's different than just turning the volume or gain/trim down. When you do that it effects how much sound is inputed and outputted, a compressor allows you to make loud the softer stuff, but keeps the volume in check so the loud stuff doesn't get out of control. So imagine being able to hear yourself whisper at the same volume as if you were to shout.

It looks like you're looking at channel strips as well (preamps that have eq and compression) I wished someone told me this, but if I were to go back I would not bother with a channel strip (preamp, eq and comp) and just get a pure preamp (without the other stuff). Nothing wrong with my presonus eureka, it sounds great, but I would rather have invested my $500 on something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSolo/ or spend a little more for like a summit audio pre or something like that...I use my eureka as a pre, but I bypass the eq and comp...I use software for that...a $300 software eq/comp will beat out any $300 hardware eq/comp at this point.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Thanx Mark I think your example .... " imagine being able to hear yourself whisper at the same volume as if you were to shout " ...... is a good word picture I understand ... The P-SOLO look's like a good Mic preamp ... I'll look up some reviews .... And thanx Rick im looking at the RNP also ......

_____ Onward & Upward !!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification