The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 PM

Default A list of short scale guitars?

I'm not hunting another guitar right now, but when I do, I'll be looking for under 25-inch models. It's a slow process to search web listing for this spec, and the last guitar I bought online actually listed the scale length incorrectly.

Is there a database or master list of short-scale acoustics? Are there brands or model lines to look for? I've learned that most Gibsons are short, and it seems all Breedloves are not. Seagull offers some short models, and it's their necks that suit me best so far. Overall, there seem to be many more 25 1/2-inch-scale guitars available. Thoughts or advice?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-30-2018, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

It seems to be much easier to find a short scale neck on a parlor size body. All my 24" scale guitars are parlors. I have an old maple Larrivee O-01 and a Alvarez master class all solid mahogany. I LOVE them! I have five or six 1920s parlors that run around 24.25", because I love the way they look. I also have a CA Cargo at 22.5.

For a bit larger body short scale, with the scale around 24.9, I have an old mid 1930s National Duolian, a Pono parlor, an old Favilla C-8 Solo classical, and a Cordoba C10 Parlor.

The rest are mostly 25.4 or 25.5 or a hair more for a couple of vintage classicals, but those are a few I like.

I think the carbon fiber manufacturers each have a short scale or two available. Pretty sure Rainsong has at minimum the Shorty and a parlor.

I've spent a few years hunting up short scales, so I also would love to see a list of who all offers shorties or the option for a custom short scale, like Larrivee.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:17 AM

Take your pick..Martin, Taylor, Bourgeois, Collings, Gibson, Santa Cruz....SS are everywhere by every builder...or close to it.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 AM

"Typically" if it's an 0, 00, or 000 it's short scale. There are exceptions in Martin's 15 and 16 series. Taylor does not use these designations, and typically uses the same scale length. I think the exception may be their 12-fret model?

Gibson also does not use these designations. I don't know how they model their scale length.

f-d
Old 01-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Guest 728

Rather than trying to compile a list, I think it's best to just look at the spec sheets of whatever you're interested in, as most manufacturers offer both short- and long-scale models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
Gibson also does not use these designations. I don't know how they model their scale length.
Gibson uses 24.75" on almost everything, with the Advanced Jumbo and Super Jumbo models being the main exceptions at 25.5". They do other lengths as well, however; the Keb' Mo Bluesmaster comes in at 25", for example.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 AM

Keep your eyes open for or know there exists short scale 14 fret 000 from Santa Cruz and others. At 9 years of ownership I'm still crazy in love with my Santa Cruz "OMS". Others seem to feel the same. I happened on a Bourgeois that was similar and very impressive.

I think what hits me with the 14 fret 000 or OM short is some up the neck versatility beyond a 12 fret with some power or balance my 00 and most 00s don't have.

The Redwood shop near Milwaukee has ordered the Santa Cruz "OMS" for stock but usually in fancier build and without pick guard.

Richard Hoover said he remembered the guitar I have some months after it left for the dealer and I asked why it's not a standard model. He said the majority of what they make is a custom order so they limit the standard models as a point of being practical. That made me think one will always have to go for a different stock short scale Santa Cruz, custom order, or keep their eyes open for existing guitars.

It will be easy to find a 14 fret Martin 000, but I've never touched or heard any of many in same league as a Santa Cruz OMS or a Bourgeois I tried. To make matters worse Martin puts that hideous poseur paint (toner) on most of them.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
"Typically" if it's an 0, 00, or 000 it's short scale. There are exceptions in Martin's 15 and 16 series. Taylor does not use these designations, and typically uses the same scale length. I think the exception may be their 12-fret model?

f-d

Taylor’s GC models are all short scale, I believe....
Old 01-30-2018, 01:39 PM

The new taylor 510 is short scale as well if you are looking for a dreadnought size

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
scale length, shopping, short scale