The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-13-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Took this shot about 20 minutes ago (3:50 AM July 13). My focus sucks...

It was easy naked eye, even from my light polluted city park. It is rapidly heading south and will be unavailable in a few days because by the time it DOES rise it will be deep into twilight. Still battling clouds. Trying to think of where I can go where it will be darker AND I can get a very low view to the north. Unfortunately I have mountains to the north.

All in all though, it is nice to see another naked eye comet. It was very good in binos. Definitely structure in the tail.
That is great....thanks for sharing. I need to do some research and maybe set an alarm to awaken earlier than usual. Definitely worth seeing, IMO.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:22 AM

Actually I have it backwards. It is not heading south, it is heading NORTH and switches over from a morning object to an evening object. So there is definitely more to come. That will make it easier for me as I think I can find a northWESTERN sky that is dark. A couple of hours drive. Time to go camping.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:35 AM

And yes, it is most definitely worth seeing. The tail has structure and the angles may increase the fan-like shape as time goes on. Don't know how long it will be naked eye, but in binos it should likely last a couple of weeks. I have not got a telescope on it yet, but apparently there is visible structure in the nucleus.

Being able to view in the evening will make it easier for me to make the effort to set up a bigger optical system. Getting up and lugging lots of gear at 3:00 AM is, well, a bit of effort. I am very glad that I went out with my binos however. It is very nice.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default APOD

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Astronomy Picture Of the Day, but it's a really nice site from NASA. They feature a different picture each morning and link to lots of very good information about astronomy. The archive section is huge. They've been focused on Neowise for days, so it's an entertaining site.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Took this shot about 20 minutes ago (3:50 AM July 13). My focus sucks...

It was easy naked eye, even from my light polluted city park. It is rapidly heading south and will be unavailable in a few days because by the time it DOES rise it will be deep into twilight. Still battling clouds. Trying to think of where I can go where it will be darker AND I can get a very low view to the north. Unfortunately I have mountains to the north.

All in all though, it is nice to see another naked eye comet. It was very good in binos. Definitely structure in the tail.
Cool shot!

It'll be visible in the evening soon. First fairly low in the northwest sky and then gaining in altitude for the next few days. It, hopefully, will be easiest to see then.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

...I got my first good look at it last night about 10:30 PM here in Oregon.....too flipping cool....
Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I went out in the hazy twilight of East Texas last night with my father-in-law. At about 9:30 I could just make out the smudge of the comet through binoculars. Nothing naked eye. My father-in-law has a nice camera that can layer shots into an ersatz time exposure. At a completely black horizon, he was able to capture this shot:

It’s supposed to get higher and brighter through next week. Hope to go out and get a better look soon.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-15-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
I went out in the hazy twilight of East Texas last night with my father-in-law. At about 9:30 I could just make out the smudge of the comet through binoculars. Nothing naked eye. My father-in-law has a nice camera that can layer shots into an ersatz time exposure. At a completely black horizon, he was able to capture this shot:

It’s supposed to get higher and brighter through next week. Hope to go out and get a better look soon.
Nice!

Here's an update:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...-comet-neowise

"NEOWISE will be brightest about an hour and a half after sunset between now and Sunday. Look to the north-northwest and it should be about 10 degrees above the horizon. It will come closest to Earth on July 22. More good news: The sky will be good and dark because the moon is in crescent mode and won’t cast light that could ruin your view."
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-15-2020, 11:59 AM

Fun thread. Thanks Rob, fumei, Ryan, et al.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Nice!

Here's an update:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story...-comet-neowise

"NEOWISE will be brightest about an hour and a half after sunset between now and Sunday. Look to the north-northwest and it should be about 10 degrees above the horizon. It will come closest to Earth on July 22. More good news: The sky will be good and dark because the moon is in crescent mode and won’t cast light that could ruin your view."
And the North star is visible on the upper right of the shot at the end of the handle of the inverted Little Dipper. So I can tell where to look for the comet. Thanks for that Rob. I hope it gets a little higher on the horizon or I may have a hard time finding a good location to see it.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
And the North star is visible on the upper right of the shot at the end of the handle of the inverted Little Dipper. So I can tell where to look for the comet. Thanks for that Rob. I hope it gets a little higher on the horizon or I may have a hard time finding a good location to see it.
It's not mentioned, but it should also climb above the horizon as the week goes on to something like 30 degrees above the horizon.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-16-2020, 03:51 PM

I saw it on July 13 here in Seattle area. Quite impressive through binoculars.

I've looked every night since, and we've had some clear weather, but we have a lot of atmospheric haze and it is proving tough to spot again.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-16-2020, 04:04 PM

Around what time is it visible now?
Old 07-16-2020, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Around what time is it visible now?

....as soon as it gets dark enough after the sun sets...in the northwest sky not too far above the horizon.....about 10:30 pm here in Oregon....but up in Canada it may be staying light too long to catch it....
Old 07-17-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Got a nice look at it last night at around 11 pm here in northern Indiana. We are eastern time zone. I could actually spot it with naked eye but binoculars gave me a clear and more detailed view. Within about ten minutes I could no longer find it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic