The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2020, 11:41 AM

Great link Kabi
Too bad the old Mackie FreePlay is not available anymore.

The Hanley Benton Streetbox 60 sounds interesting: 3 channels,bluetooth,battery power
Does anybody have any information about it?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM

It is quite new.. reviews at Thomann' are good. But if you have a chance you could try it and then tell us :-).

I am also interested in a light PA because hopefully we are having a couple of gigs in the mountains in August.. I guess I can walk with about 7 kg on my back for an hour or two. I would love to have a chance to compare the Mackie FreePlay, the Hanley Benton Steetbox-60 and the Laney AH4x4..
Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM

Over the July 4th weekend I bought a LD Mix 6 AG3 $300, 4 channels,15 Lbs
So far very impressed-today was the first day testing it-might make a separate post if people are interested
It has a monitor out which I connected the FBT J5A, they sounded great together! Believe it or not the FBT added noticeable fullness/low end, a mini subwoofer:] I think I have created the ultimate Micro System!!

So the FBT still holds the crown for the smallest/lightest PA system
Old 07-07-2020, 06:20 AM

I would be interested to read your review or feedback after you test it a little bit
Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 AM

Kabi
Look for the review on the new post I will start
Old 07-08-2020, 10:18 AM

Just found Elite Acoustics A1-4 MK11
14 Lbs,Bluetooth,Battery,3-chan Mixer w/effects,40 watts $400
Sounds good but wondering if 40 watts will cut it? 4 inch woofer- I have never used an amp with less than a 6.5 inch woofer so I think that's a deal breaker.
Anybody with any experience with Elite Acoustics next step up?

Last edited by wweiss; 07-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Just found Laney A-Fresco
8 inch woofer,battery powered,16 Lbs, 2 channels,60 watts
$560
No Bluetooth-Pricey
Old 07-10-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Just found Elite Acoustics A1-4 MK11
14 Lbs,Bluetooth,Battery,3-chan Mixer w/effects,40 watts $400
Sounds good but wondering if 40 watts will cut it? 4 inch woofer- I have never used an amp with less than a 6.5 inch woofer so I think that's a deal breaker.
Anybody with any experience with Elite Acoustics next step up?
I have the d-68 mk2 80 watts .
I sent it in for the upgrade because 40w didnt
cut it for me.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:07 PM

varmonter
Was it a big difference or slight?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
varmonter

Was it a big difference or slight?

I had the same mod done. To me it is a pretty big difference. Before the mod it was almost powerful enough for a small gig, but not quite. Now it is about right.

I just did a small “social distancing” outdoor concert at a park area in the condo complex where I live. There were about 30 people there, but they were spread out to a distance up to about a hundred feet back from me. The people that were furthest back told me that they had no problem hearing me or understanding what I was singing. My wife shot a little video on her phone from quite a distance away and it seemed to sound fine. I did it on battery power. I did notice just a touch of distortion on some peaks, so that tells me I was close the maximum level of the amp.

Two other things that are better now:

Recharging the battery is way faster. The SLA battery could take over a day to trickle charge if it got low.

The output power doesn’t slowly diminish as the charge goes down anymore. That was a big deal before because it wasn’t really enough even with on AC power. Now there is no difference between output power plugged in, or on batteries, or on batteries towards the end of a show. The lithium battery has full power for several hours.

By the way, the Fishman Loudbox Charge still has a SLA batteries and because of this has slow recharge times and power that falls off as it discharges.

I also have a Bose S1. Before the mod, the S1 was louder. Since the mod, the D6-8 is a little louder than the S1. The D6-8 is certainly powerful enough to do any gig that could be done with an S1 or Loudbox Mini.

If I didn’t already have the D6-8 I would prefer to buy the D6-58. 120 watts would be the same power as a Fishman Loudbox Artist and give me enough for a bigger or more rowdy room. The side pole mount would also let me put it on a higher stand and still access the controls. I would use that. There is a pretty hefty difference in price though, and I am very happy with the D6-8.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:05 PM

lkingston

I have heard Elite Acoustic higher end amps, sound the closest to a studio monitor. I already have a Bose S1 and a Fishman Mini Charge. I am happy with the volume output on both and don't need any more channels or effects. Any reason to upgrade for sound quality only? I have friends who would buy my amps.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:46 PM

I have two Bose S1 speakers as well. The D6-8 does sound better to me, but not by much. The S1 is also a wonderful sounding speaker. I use the S1 speakers mainly for non music AV presentation type stuff, though I think they sound great for music as well. I like the dispersion on the S1 better. I wouldn't switch for the small difference in quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification