The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-28-2020, 09:56 AM

Default Question about the Boss Katana 50

Hello!
I recently purchased an electric guitar and Boss Katana amplifier, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions. I’ve been reading about guitar pedals, and was wondering if anyone recommends pedals and why?
Also, I am going to update the settings in the amp with the Tone Central app, but that seems like a one and done type of thing to get your equalizer set the way you like it. Set it and leave it there.
I’m new to setting up the amp, and I notice there’s a considerable amount of ringing when I play. Is there a rule or is it just trial and error?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

The Katana 50, in addition to several "native" sounds, is infinitely customizable with different patches available. In addition, nearly every Boss pedal made is available in the effects area of the amp. So if you like Boss pedals, you can use the ones on-board (you do need the software to get at all of them). The one drag about the 50 vs the 100 watt version is the 50 doesn't have an effects loop, so if you want to run a looper, it's going to be in front of the amp and in front of all of the onboard effects. Which gets kind of ugly if you like to, say, play a clean tone for rhythm and a gained up tone for lead. I had one for a while and played it clean with a pedal board in front of it, with a looper as the last pedal on the board, so I could play very different rhythm and lead sounds. But if you're not concerned with using a looper with the amp, you have so many onboard effects that you don't really need pedals in front of the amp. Just dive into the software and experiment with the Boss effects it gives you access to, play around with different combinations and settings.

Because I did use a pedalboard in front of the amp and never really took advantage of any of the amp's versatility, I ended up not keeping it and replacing it with a Roland Blues Cube which doesn't have anything like the Katana's bag of tricks, but to me is a somewhat better sounding amp to run pedals in front of. And it's smaller so it takes up less space.

-Ray
Old 06-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

The Katana 50 is a nice amp and if you don't mind tweaking it through the software, then there are literally so many different tone options built in that you could spend a lifetime tweaking it. The software is easy to use and there are settings you can customize then make them "favorites" to use as you like. I wouldn't say it's a one time set it then forget it amp although you can certainly do that. With it being easy to manipulate, I would not hesitate to revisit the Boss software quite often to make tweaks.

I now only have tube amps, but the Katana was a good sounding amp. I think it's one of the better SS amps I have played, though admittedly I haven't played a ton of them. More big name players are experimenting with or switching to SS amps and I really do think that as they become better and better, they will eventually replace tube amps completely. Fender has released a series of SS equivalents to their tube amps. I think this is interesting since it allows the engineers to focus on that one tone and get it as close as possible to the original.

Anyway, enjoy the amp and set some favorites, but don't be afraid to really learn the software and tweak it as often as you would like.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:38 PM

I had one of those for about a year. Too much time looking for a decent sound, and one of the least inspirational amps I've ever had. And I love Boss pedals.
I don't know why you'd worry about pedals, the amp is built with many.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The Katana 50 is a nice amp and if you don't mind tweaking it through the software, then there are literally so many different tone options built in that you could spend a lifetime tweaking it. The software is easy to use and there are settings you can customize then make them "favorites" to use as you like. I wouldn't say it's a one time set it then forget it amp although you can certainly do that. With it being easy to manipulate, I would not hesitate to revisit the Boss software quite often to make tweaks.

I now only have tube amps, but the Katana was a good sounding amp. I think it's one of the better SS amps I have played, though admittedly I haven't played a ton of them. More big name players are experimenting with or switching to SS amps and I really do think that as they become better and better, they will eventually replace tube amps completely. Fender has released a series of SS equivalents to their tube amps. I think this is interesting since it allows the engineers to focus on that one tone and get it as close as possible to the original.

Anyway, enjoy the amp and set some favorites, but don't be afraid to really learn the software and tweak it as often as you would like.
Hello and thanks for the comments. Do you have a patch that you can recommend? I have the MKII. I just went into the software for pedal types and didn't see a lot of them there (maybe 8 or so). I'm enjoying the electric because of the versatility. I just need to learn how to use the software.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHosinski View Post
Hello and thanks for the comments. Do you have a patch that you can recommend? I have the MKII. I just went into the software for pedal types and didn't see a lot of them there (maybe 8 or so). I'm enjoying the electric because of the versatility. I just need to learn how to use the software.
You only saw 8 pedals? There's way more than 8. What did you do?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You only saw 8 pedals? There's way more than 8. What did you do?
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm only saying what I saw while I was in the environment. I've only loaded the base softwares. I think there are other types of music that I can load as well.

Rather than asking a question and leaving it open ended. Help a brother out and tell me how to access them.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHosinski View Post
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm only saying what I saw while I was in the environment. I've only loaded the base softwares. I think there are other types of music that I can load as well.

Rather than asking a question and leaving it open ended. Help a brother out and tell me how to access them.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars