The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Amp 'verb always on, only outboard I use is a Cool Cat trem...
Old 06-27-2020, 08:13 AM

Joyo Sweet Baby with the gain all the way down.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Reverb obviously, though it depends on amp: Deluxe Reverb has its own spring reverb so it’s either on or the HoF is on for different sound; Vox AC4tv has no reverb so then it’s the HoF. When I was contracted for shows at the local church though there was no need for artificial reverb...

Depending on the show or the genre, I’ve started to have the Blues Driver on all the time with just a tiny bit of crunch to simulate eg Beatles’ amps cranked up. I then add Tonebone Trimode for more distortion and overdrive when needed.
I've heard great things about the Boss Blues Driver over the years. Surprised I don't have one yet. I'll find one used one day.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've heard great things about the Boss Blues Driver over the years. Surprised I don't have one yet. I'll find one used one day.

I bought mine used (BD-2; I think there’s a BD-3 now) and now it’s a permanent part of my pedal board!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-27-2020, 11:08 AM

If the amp I'm using has reverb, it's on. I do love the simplicity of a good guitar>good amp, but I have dozens of pedals, too. If I'm leaving one always on for a night, it would probably be one of my many mild ODs. A good clean tone with some bite to it would be the target, and there are many pedals that will get you various degrees of that. A Bad Bob is one of my faves. I also have many of the Chinese clones of things like an OCD, Klon, Sweet Honey, BD-2, etc. The clones should not be underestimated: not only are they more than decent copies, many of them have their own thing going on, too - they're really tweaked versions of the originals.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm I guess I am going to have to look into a compressor.
Suggestions welcome ,,,,,,,,,

Currently on my Supro the on board reverb is always on (slightly)
On my REVV I usually have the gain Gain knob slightly on and usually also my EH Oceans 11 reverb pedal .
Keeley 4 knob is always on for me unless I'm looking for real obvious compression - then it's the MXR. I've heard great things about the Wampler Ego, but never tried one.

Most of the time I'm running at least a little bit of overdrive to warm up a Fender silverface amp unless I want a super clean tone.

And always at least a little amp reverb.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
Keeley 4 knob is always on for me unless I'm looking for real obvious compression - then it's the MXR. I've heard great things about the Wampler Ego, but never tried one.

Most of the time I'm running at least a little bit of overdrive to warm up a Fender silverface amp unless I want a super clean tone.

I love my Wampler Ego! It isn’t always on but it’s a quality piece of kit and does a great job!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-27-2020, 02:50 PM

BBE Sonic Stomp. I'm still not exactly sure what it does (I don't think anybody really knows for sure - Ha!), but it does somehow make my tone better...

Old 06-27-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
BBE Sonic Stomp. I'm still not exactly sure what it does (I don't think anybody really knows for sure - Ha!), but it does somehow make my tone better...

<<snippet pics>>
lol, I've heard that about the BBE but it does add a sparkle to the tone. I've never tried one before but I've been tempted.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Actually, it's no big secret. It adds in a small amount of even order harmonic distortion.

Someone (maybe Craig Anderton) posted a circuit many years ago that did this, and I remember building it. It did enhance everything I ran through it.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-27-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
lol, I've heard that about the BBE but it does add a sparkle to the tone. I've never tried one before but I've been tempted.
Yep, I'd say adding "sparkle" to the tone is a good way to put it.

I kept hearing good things about this pedal, so I decided to take a chance and order a used one off Reverb a couple of years ago. And I really like it. Somehow it just "opens things up".. It's really hard to put it into words exactly what it does..

I've heard it described more than once as a pedal that "takes the blanket off the amp." I think that is an apt description.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Actually, it's no big secret. It adds in a small amount of even order harmonic distortion.

Someone (maybe Craig Anderton) posted a circuit many years ago that did this, and I remember building it. It did enhance everything I ran through it.
Yes, something about making the lows and the highs the same frequencies or volume, or thereabouts.

It does enhance your tone for sure. I was skeptical at first, but there's no doubt about it doing just that.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:03 PM

I used to use a Sonic Stomp at the end of my chain. It's a great pedal for always on; it gives sort of a sheen to the amp - hard to describe. I stopped using it only because it didn't play well with a couple of pedals I was once trying. I should fire it up again. I have the acoustic processor version also, and I like that one, too, but once again I don't use it much these days.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:24 AM

If I'm playing single coils the EH Hum Debugger is always on
Old 06-28-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I love my Wampler Ego! It isn’t always on but it’s a quality piece of kit and does a great job!
Thanks guys I'll research em

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars