The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-23-2020, 04:50 PM

Thank you for everyone's help.

I have decided to buy the H6. The main reason being the old gray H6 has discounted further from 350 to 300 and now 250 usd (bhphotovideo online store). Despite the addition of shipping cost, it is still 40 usd cheaper than buying it in my tax-free home country/city (Hong Kong). Well...a bit off topic, but Trump might take away that privileged tax status for HK soon .
Old 06-23-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
I've posted this before but this is the H5 standard x/y mics in a half decent room.
Just a tad of reverb and HPF added later.
The noise level is what it is.

Daughters voice is SM58 in noisy house.

Such a lovely project. I love everything about it. The film, the music and the style. And getting your family involved in it is just extra fun.

A Smallman steel string, what a rare gem! I actually play the classical guitar more than steel strings, so Smallman is not a strange name to me, although I am not a big fan of lattice braced guitars (a super fan of John Williams though).

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of bracing and special guitar building features does your Smallman has? Just curious on how Smallman would apply his classical building techniques into steel string building. Also was the price as expensive as a Smallman classical?
Old 06-23-2020, 11:56 PM

Thanks Eric.

It was built in 1979. Balsa lattice braced cedar top and laminated Brazillian back and sides, with a pinless bridge.
He did build some steel sting guitars with Peter Biffin before this but this is one of only two steel strings built by Greg before he decided to just make nylons so not common.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:32 PM

Any updates re using Zoom for recording?

I like the simplicity.
And that it can act as it's own DAW.
And that it's dual mic with lesser chance of phasing issues.

Here's the gear I have but I think I need to upgrade:
Zoom H2n
SM58 & Rode NT1
Toneport UX2 interface
DAW is Tracktion and I will only ever use this

I just want good quality (low noise/hiss) stereo recordings in the simplest manner possible.
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05
PRS Cu24 + 57/08
Suhr Pro S4
Old 07-06-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
I've posted this before but this is the H5 standard x/y mics in a half decent room.
Just a tad of reverb and HPF added later.
The noise level is what it is.

Daughters voice is SM58 in noisy house.

This is just over-the-top lovely. I've been checking out some of your other stuff (from your website) and am so impressed. Way way way thumbs up. I'm sorry I haven't found this earlier.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman001 View Post

I like the simplicity.

Zoom H2n
SM58 & Rode NT1
Toneport UX2 interface

I just want good quality (low noise/hiss) stereo recordings in the simplest manner possible.
I use a Zoom F3 now to record. No built in mics, but it's 32 bit recording and I don't have to set input gain anymore, just boost levels in post. I also moved on to Rx 10 for editing and Reaper for mastering (saved quite a few $$ there)

I upgraded my LDC mics to a WA 14 and WA 47 jr.

The biggest upgrade I made was acquiring ATS 2'x4'x4" acoustic panels to surround my recording area which is now located down in my nice quiet and secluded basement.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-08-2023, 02:15 AM

Quote:

I like the simplicity.

Zoom H2n
SM58 & Rode NT1
Toneport UX2 interface

I wouldn't call this an update, but I have a playlist of videos with audio from the H6 attached mics: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

I also have various comparos, evals, and tutorials on the Homebrewed Music blog for both the H6 and the H2n:
https://www.homebrewedmusic.com/

Budget is always an issue, of course, but Zoom has announced 32 bit handhelds.

The M2 MicTrak https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/mictrak-r...rs/m2-mictrak/ has no XLR ins but is pretty reasonably priced.

The M4 https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/mictrak-r...rs/m4-mictrak/
does have two XLR/TS combo jacks and 4 channels recording.

The dual ADC/32 bit/very low noise very linear preamp set removes one stress point, gain setting, from the recording process, and delivers very nice results. I would expect that the attached mics will be the limiting factor if they are used.

I think any of the H5/H6/H4n Pro and especially the M4 will be quite step up from the H2n, and being able to attach your Shure and Rode mics expand the capability.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-08-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:

I like the simplicity.

Zoom H2n
SM58 & Rode NT1
Toneport UX2 interface

You might consider a simple multi-tracker. The new Zoom R12 has pretty good pres in it and is designed as a tool for the musician. You can grab a couple of inexpensive mics and a set of headphones and go record under a tree in the park if you want.

Here's an example of using a basic recorder (Zoom Livetrak L8) with a pair of the ultra-cheap Behringer $25 C-2 pencil condenser mics:

For the simplest, least amount of effort you can't do much better that something like a Tascam D-05 mounted on a stand:

Old 07-08-2023, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

In the most general way of looking at your question, I would not let it come down to which is a better DAW interface device. I am a gadget guy (IOW, tinkerer of many, master of none) and have tried many set up from simply field recordings (tascam DR40 SERIES) to an *almost* studio quality rack system, and found that each system performs adequately in their intended setting, and not so much beyond their intended scope. IME, even a low-level dedicated audio interface (current generations) will out-perform most field recorders being pressed into interface duty. The more seasoned veterans here can back me up, or correct me, as the case may be, but that has been my experience.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD