The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-05-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Wow. You're the second person who's surprised me with crazy results from the H2n. I may not be clever but I can spot a trend! I think I'm going to have to look into one of those when non-essential stuff opens up.
They are so cheap it's almost silly not to have one. I mostly use mine as a USB microphone straight into my computer. Simple!

You could always just get one from internet vendors.....

Keith
Old 05-07-2020, 03:51 AM

Tenor is too small? Get a baritone uke & tune it G3 C4 E4 A4 -- that's low G gCEA tuning, just like a tenor is usually tuned. You need special baritone strings to do this. Get them HERE.

I recommend you get a spruce top baritone, so it will be fairly bright.

Thus you will have a roomy baritone that sounds 99% the same as a little old tenor tuned G3C4E4A4. Shazam!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. I happen to like a tenor-sized scale BUT prefer the added tonality of a baritone's slightly larger body. Ergo, one of my favorite ukes is an Ohana BKT-70...
Size: Baritone body with Tenor scale
Top: Solid Spruce
Back & Sides: lam. Mahogany

Last edited by bellgamin; 05-07-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
They are so cheap it's almost silly not to have one. I mostly use mine as a USB microphone straight into my computer. Simple!

You could always just get one from internet vendors.....

Keith
I'm hoping the shop where my kid takes mandolin lessons is still open after all this... Though she's been taking lessons online from her teacher.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I have a tenor Uke, I picked it up the other day and had a blast with it. I'm thinking of making one for fun. I bought my tenor Kala when I said I would teach a neighbour how to play.

Question one - other than strumming chords, what is the point of reentrant tuning. I go to play single note runs and run out of notes... Seriously, I believe it's traditional for chord work, but do single note players use a low G?

Question two - if I'm going to make one, I can make any size I feel like, within reason. I am a big guy, I find the tenor almost too small to handle, but I can play chords on it, and rarely drop it... If you were going to have a go-to size Uke, what size would it be? Baritone would be tuned like a guitar, but is it too big to retain it's essential Uke-ness?

Question three - pineapple vs waist - any preference?

Question four - wood. I was thinking of curly sinker redwood, because I have some, and spalted maple, ditto. What are good woods for a ukelele?

Thanks, Brian
Try this out:
https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-aszct-st

I just got one and really like it. 18.8" scale verses a normal Tenor scale of 17"

Here's a size comparison for you:

Left to right:
Kanilea K3 Super Concert (Concert body with Tenor scale neck
Kanilea K1 Tenor
Kala Super Tenor

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments