The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2020, 03:56 AM

Good for you wanting to reconnect. You’ve gotten lots of advice on how to actively search but my impressions are that it’s hard NOT to be found nowadays.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:53 AM

I would like to find some people from "back then", but my problem is that I have always been terrible remembering names. So I have a few first names...but no last names. Try finding someone named "Dave" or "Laurie".

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 AM

I was one of the co-organizers for my HS 40th and 45th reunion parties. We started by getting a list of people & addresses from the High School alumni association - with promises to update them with any current info we found.
For people not listed or who had moved (bounced snail mail), we asked if other classmates knew where they were.
We had about a 50% turnout for the 40th and a little less for the 45th (not counting those who had passed) - but we were a small school.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-10-2020, 12:19 PM

I used to do a lot of genealogy research.

Sometimes people just die.
Sometimes there is no service or obit in the papers.

Social Security Death Index can be a huge help.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:29 PM

Graduated in 1973. On the committee, we found most everyone through Facebook. Even if they weren’t on FB, someone....friend...family that was on FB knew them and got a hold of them.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:37 PM

Just win the lottery, Rich....they'll find you.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post

How does one find old friends these days?

I don't really want to pay money for one of those creepy online "background checks" or "person profiles".

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post

Try TruePeopleSearch over at TruePeopleSearch; https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/ .

It's free. It works, for US-based folks. I've tested it. It came back with 100 percent accurate results 100 percent of the time on the numerous folks whose addresses I already knew. It's a good starting point, anyhow.
Just recollected an excellent supplemental free people search engine: mylife.

This one's best used after you've already run down the address of a specific individual with another free people search service. While it doesn't provide addresses and phone numbers for free (like TruePeopleSearch, for example), it does show a person's date of birth and, where applicable, the death date--or at least the exact age when a person passed.

Hint/Advice: After completing a people search with mylife, hit the View Reputation Profile button over at the right of the person's name to access the birth date and, where applicable, death date/age of death information.

Last edited by Inyo; 07-14-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:14 PM

I'm not impressed with MyLife.

After you accept their terms, you will get junk mail from them.

The reputation option doesn't seem to work anymore, maybe you need to subscribe to get that feature. The information is not accurate at all, they have me listed as Asian, which I'm not. They don't have my income correct and they have contacts and relatives that are not correct.

I'd stay away from MyLife.

True People Search seems more accurate but gives less information.

In my opinion of course.

J
Old 07-13-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post

Just recollected an excellent supplemental free people search engine: mylife.

This one's best used after you've already run down the address of a specific individual with another free people search service. While it doesn't provide addresses and phone numbers for free (like TruePeopleSearch, for example), it does show a person's date of birth and, where applicable, the death date--or at least the exact age when a person passed.

Hint/Advice: After completing a people search with mylife, hit the View Reputation Profile button over at the right of the person's name to access the birth date and, where applicable, death date/age of death information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post

I'm not impressed with MyLife.

After you accept their terms, you will get junk mail from them.

The reputation option doesn't seem to work anymore, maybe you need to subscribe to get that feature. The information is not accurate at all, they have me listed as Asian, which I'm not. They don't have my income correct and they have contacts and relatives that are not correct.

I'd stay away from MyLife.
The poster completely misses the point. Recommendation is for free access to birthdates and dates/ages of death; and, by the way, you don't have to sign up and accept terms of service for that free birthdate/death information. If you want a full background check on somebody, you pay for it.

Note too, most obviously, that the poster affirms by omission the accuracy of mylife: The poster can't report that mylife didn't get his birthdate information correct. Most telling, that. Pretty much end of discussion, actually.

Bottom line: My experimental test searches on numerous folks whose birthdates and death dates I already knew disclosed that mylife returned 100 percent accurate results; and among those same individuals I researched, mylife also returned 100 percent spot-on identification of each person's ethnicity (such racial data is of no concern to me). Wouldn't know about their exact financial statuses, of course, and frankly could care less. But why the poster should care whether mylife provides reliable ethnic and financial data is a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma, to coin a phrase as it were.

Of course, if the poster wants to make his reputation profile fully accurate and up to date, personalized, mylife provides the tools to do that. No big deal. One wonders why the poster is so exorcised over this discussion, to begin with.

Note that unlike most people search engines, mylife provides potential for corrective interactivity, encouraging its registered users to update background information, thus enhancing with evolutionary improvement the utility of its people searches.

Summation: The free mylife service is recommended as a supplemental search vehicle to determine birthdates and death dates/exact age of passing; in combination with free searches like TruePeopleSearch, mylife provides additional important information not usually encountered in free cyber-investigations.

Last edited by Inyo; 07-14-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:10 PM

One of the huge problems with MyLife is that you click on an icon and you are endlessly in a computational loop that will end in accepting their terms and agreements. There are lawsuits that MyLife has lost against them of being anything but honest. See the link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyLife

Reviews by customers are far from stellar

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/mylife.html

J

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic