The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Didn't feel singled out, but thought it my apply to me, and therefore offered an apology. We all know how one's internal tone and the nuances of one's perspective can be lost when writing, and thought an apology couldn't hurt.

So, to help me get clear, was the original intent to encourage people to take a one day vacation from reading the news yesterday?
Yes it was ...sort of like a day off from reality in a healthy way.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yes it was ...sort of like a day off from reality in a healthy way.
Excellent....glad I asked.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM

I told you it wouldn’t take long.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It’s a beautiful Sunday morning here in middle America and I thought I would kick the day off with a suggestion...

Try to spend today without listening to, watching or reading any news. You will experience a peaceful, pleasant day. Your stress levels will drop and you will find yourself wondering why you pay so much attention to the “white noise” in the first place.

I used to listen to news radio every commute. It didn't mater which station I listened to and what their particular leaning was. I found myself angry all the time. The media beast was succeeding in creating my reality of a horrible dangerous world (which just isn't true).

I remember the day four years ago I was so worked up I pulled into a parking place at work and un-programmed *ALL* my radio channels. Cold turkey.

I haven't listened to the news since and I never watch TV news, except maybe weather or something special - no more than 5 minutes total in a week.

There is enough information being pushed out there that I am current and aware. I am not oblivious to anything. But I also don't seek the news.

My stress level and perspective on the world is so much better.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-13-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
IMO it's important everyone stay informed about important news ... but then turn it OFF and enjoy your day!
Thomas Jefferson said, "An informed citizenry is at the heart of a dynamic democracy."

But today with the Internet it's too easy to overload on news, and "news".
Good perspective Tico. It’s difficult to be informed without information. I’ve stopped watching most TV news and don’t waste my time watching any network or cable commentary shows. Also, I no longer read news first thing in the morning. Instead I read trusted sources later in the day. I pay for subscriptions to the news organizations I consider reliable, accurate and intelligent. It’s my way of contributing & supporting an important balancing power in our society. I feel no need to take a day off.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM

I agree, we need news

Comics - check
Arts and Entertainment - check
Local News - check
Horoscope - check
Crossword - check
Dear Abby - check
Want ads - check

National News - DUMP IN THE TRASH

J
Old 07-14-2020, 05:28 AM

It was a fine and sane Sunday here marked by family time, a nice trail ride, stop at dirt jumps on way home and family time. However, skipping the news makes no sense to me.

Maybe that discussion of working memory here is part of it if not poor quality news? Overload? The only time I ever had sentiments that were not wanting to know the news a period when I know I wasn't doing well, and wasn't pushing myself to be competitive.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=94

Whether or not you take in the news, I feel a great way to get or keep sanity is keeping up a good mix of the physical, mental and food in your life. Add some sort of community thing to that mix. For the latter I mean volunteer or join some sort of a club or group. If you don't get that in more traditional congregation or groups some might have grown up with you can still find it in other groups.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It was a fine and sane Sunday here marked by family time, a nice trail ride, stop at dirt jumps on way home and family time. However, skipping the news makes no sense to me.

Maybe that discussion of working memory here is part of it if not poor quality news? Overload? The only time I ever had sentiments that were not wanting to know the news a period when I know I wasn't doing well, and wasn't pushing myself to be competitive.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=94

Whether or not you take in the news, I feel a great way to get or keep sanity is keeping up a good mix of the physical, mental and food in your life. Add some sort of community thing to that mix. For the latter I mean volunteer or join some sort of a club or group. If you don't get that in more traditional congregation or groups some might have grown up with you can still find it in other groups.
I have sometimes wondered along similar lines...wondering if the news/the media get blamed for knocking people out of balance when there are more fundamental issues at play that leave people over-extended and prone to lose balance. Can be anything: stress, relationship problems, legal problems, financial problems, too little exercise, too much alcohol...the list is close to endless. Might be the modern day equivalent of kicking the dog when you are mad about something that doesn’t relate to the dog.

That being said, I still see value in taking a day off from most things, and do take a day off from the news every couple of weeks at least. Also turn off the TV for 24 hours from time to time, book a day of silent reflection periodically, do a day of fasting once in a while (much less frequently than the other things I’ve mentioned), etc. All have their place.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:40 PM

I'll tell you what pushes folks out of balance.

Too much news media.

J

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic