The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Default AER Pocket Tools Colourizer - what does it do?

I’ve heard that this tool is used by many guitarists that have a great amplified sound, like Tommy Emmanuel. Some say that it is a key piece to their sound. But I have no clue what it does and if it will help my sound.

I currently use a Composite Acoustics Cargo + AER Compact 60 with some Laboga cables and get a great sound. Would the pocket tools be a worthwhile addition?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:56 PM

If my memory serves me. It essentially is a very simple EQ preamp direct box. It has a slightly different approach to EQ. It’s been awhile since I tried one. The unique thing about it was the Colourizer was an added distortion at a high frequency to mimic the sizzle of the strings. It sounds similar to boosting the treble at around 10k but it adds distortion to get that sound. Does that make sense?
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-14-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
If my memory serves me. It essentially is a very simple EQ preamp direct box. It has a slightly different approach to EQ. It’s been awhile since I tried one. The unique thing about it was the Colourizer was an added distortion at a high frequency to mimic the sizzle of the strings. It sounds similar to boosting the treble at around 10k but it adds distortion to get that sound. Does that make sense?
I think it does, thank you!
Old 07-14-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

It's an acoustic guitar distortion box.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Ok, that's very interesting. Do you need to push a button or move a knob for the unit to add the distortion, or does the unit do this automatically?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification