The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2020, 10:50 PM

Default Sunrise S2 on a Taylor 314

Hello all.

I have a Taylor 314 non Ce 2019 version and thinking of getting a sunrise s2. I’m a fingerstyle enthusiast and looking to play at open mics for fun.

I heard the S2 is the defacto pickup for fingerstyle as it is used by greats such as kotaro, Sungha, and Andy McGee.

Just a couple questions.

1. Heard this PU does not register percussions. What type of percussions will not be picked up? Are stuff like snare slap, slap harmonic, and palm mute good?

I’m guessing it’s stuff like wrist thump or guitar body knocks that will not work. Please confirm.

2. Is it worth installing on my Taylor? Lol
Old 06-28-2020, 07:13 AM

I had got a Sunrise along time ago and the Sunrise preamp too . I know it says Micheal Hedges blended his Sunrise with a Frapp pickup, that'd be similar to a Dazzo or hfn maybe I love Kaki King and Micheal Hedges type of stuff as well as John Butler Trio ....the pickup well. I hated it . I ended up getting them taken out , I strum with a pick (Pete Townsend , the Cure etc etc ) and I also do arpeggios with a pick (u2 edge , Andy The Police) I ended up getting the lrbaggs lb6 and the lrbaggs para di ..... That was 15 years ago . Now a days I like the K&K pure , I cut the bass /mids , and boost the treble and it's good enough , still using a crate ac-120 with Shure Sm58 (vocals )for the occasional gig . I think if you got the Sunrise you'd not be happy and want to blend a mic or sbt type pick-up with it . I hated it reminded me of electric guitar sound , LR baggs newer stuff is good too but I only like passive pickups . If money wasn't an option Id go for a Tonedexter and a K&K pure combo
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 AM

Funny how this old school pickup
still rules the roost to some extent.
I find it superior to most anything
out there. Does it sound like my guitar
only louder?? No of course not.
But nothing does except a good mic.
I also use the baggs m80. if you
want/need one that picks up percussive
sounds i would recommdnd the m80.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification