The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-23-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You still need one of these :

Who doesn't

I've got these and they are pretty good for the vintage tone...

Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 PM

NICE!!!! I have a Deluxe Reverb. Love it.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
NICE!!!! I have a Deluxe Reverb. Love it.

That Deluxe Reverb is from the very 1st production run of them in 1964, and it's killer, you should hear it wound up, oh my...

Old 06-23-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
...I've got these and they are pretty good for the vintage tone...

Unless I miss my guess a mid-'62 Mercury, still with the random-flair covering, Philips-head chassis/handle/backplate screws (that would be replaced by the better-known blue-check vinyl and clutch-drive screws by Fall '62), octal preamp tubes, and 6V6's; in great shape BTW, and kind of a rare bird in that specific livery - I live in the heart of Ampeg country (the late Dennis Kager used to service my amps) and I've never seen one in person...
Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Unless I miss my guess a mid-'62 Mercury, still with the random-flair covering, Philips-head chassis/handle/backplate screws (that would be replaced by the better-known blue-check vinyl and clutch-drive screws by Fall '62), octal preamp tubes, and 6V6's; in great shape BTW, and kind of a rare bird in that specific livery - I live in the heart of Ampeg country (the late Dennis Kager used to service my amps) and I've never seen one in person...
Pretty good call there Steve, I can't exactly date the amp (speaker and pot codes show 61), but I think your about as close as can be. I agree, early to mid 62. I have the original speaker, but I'm using a JBL D123 in it right now which gives it a bit more fullness than the original Jensen. This amp gets recorded more than all of my other amps because it develops a really good tone at a reasonable volume.

Here's a good shot of the circuit...

My good friend Troy Angus installed a 3 prong cord, new filter caps, and rebuilt the tremolo circuit to factory specs, so it's noise free and sounding great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars