The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-01-2023, 11:52 AM

Thanks to all...good suggestions...the hot tea and lemon sounds like a good start and will try it out during practices. I also tried fisherman's friend drops but they are a bit harsh and afraid I would choke on one wile singing...lol
Old 11-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

In the early 90's, I was fortunate to get to work with Judy Davis, an incredible vocal coach based in the East SF Bay Area... in the 50 years that she had worked with various singers before I met her, she amassed an INCREDIBLE list of artists with whom she had coached; from Judy Garland and Lena Horne, through Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Mel Torme, and Barbra Streisand, Peter, Paul and Mary, Grace Slick... and on and on. I write this to establish that this woman REALLY knew from whence she spoke!

Judy gave us a fair number of ways to care for our throats in times of distress, as well as general maintenance... there are a lot of various "remedies" that go against what she taught us...

-First off, avoid anything that constricts or dehydrates the vocal cords... citrus is wonderful, but it is acidic and an astringent; not good for singing... ice or very cold drinks cause the throat to tighten up... alcohol is an astringent and dehydrates; best to not drink 'em when you have a show coming up or during a performance.

-Honey, Judy said, is the closest thing to the natural lubricant of the throat... and good ol' Lipton's Tea is very beneficial for singers... she spoke of Dean Martin, how he'd always use a glass of what looked like whisky or scotch - and it was really Lipton's tea with honey! The whole "slightly drunk" thing was his schtick...

Dairy seems to clog up some folks, but not others - I'm fine with some cream in my coffee while I'm playing and singing. Find what works for you... if I had any question at all about how strong my voice/throat felt, I'd make a batch of Lipton's tea with honey and put in a thermos to take with me to the gig... even when cooled down to room temperature, it is very effective and soothing to the throat.

Doing some gentle warm-ups before a gig always helps me to be able to come out "firing on all cylinders"... breathing well while singing makes a huge difference; having enough air behind the notes is paramount! Funny, as I've gotten older (72 now), having plenty of air behind notes is most important when I'm singing softly... helps to start a note on pitch and solidly without wavering or shifting.

That's all I got! Good luck... I know it's weird but I'd advise staying away from lemon in that tea, at least when you're performing. Great if you don't have to sing, seriously, for a couple hours, but not a good thing during...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-01-2023, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

What Abraham Hicks wrote is fine but as an Englishman, I MUST counsel against "Liptons" Tea, it is undoubtedly the worst tea that can be bought.
If you can find some "Tetleys" or "Typhoo" or "PG Tips".

They are far better, and remember you make tea by pouring BOILING water on it, not "boiled" water.
As far as milk in tea, it must be "semi-skimmed" NEVER full cream! and as little as possible to make it "dark tan"

Remember, Tea is an infusion, not a stimulant (like Coffee!)
Old 11-01-2023, 02:03 PM

I make a strong concoction out of grated ginger and water brought to a boil, cooled off and poured through a strainer and then cooled. Can’t be beat !
Old 11-01-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy View Post
I make a strong concoction out of grated ginger and water brought to a boil, cooled off and poured through a strainer and then cooled. Can’t be beat !
How much ginger root in how much water. I hear good things about ginger root. I will have to try. Thanks
Old 11-01-2023, 09:53 PM

Pineapple juice works for me. It seems to lubricate my larynx. I can be raw, sick and/or congested - it still allows me to sing all night without any strain.

It doesn't seem to be a widely recommended solution, but it's the one I always turn to.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 11-02-2023, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
A Speyside or lowland malt....steer clear of the peaty West Coast drams until after the concert.
I actually prefer an Ardbeg, especially Corryvreckan on stage with me. I'll drink water between the sweet smelling of Islays, which allow me to enjoy without even having a sip. Balvenie types naturally disappear much more quickly.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-02-2023, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I actually prefer an Ardbeg, especially Corryvreckan on stage with me. I'll drink water between the sweet smelling of Islays, which allow me to enjoy without even having a sip. Balvenie types naturally disappear much more quickly.
I have a 12 year old Glengoyne and a 12 year old Bunnahabhain with me in my campervan in Southern Spain at present. Very pleasant to sit out in the evening with while I play and sing.

I had an unexpected call from one of the top tenors in the Welsh MVC I'm a member of during the weekly choir practice last night. They put me on a video call so I could watch the practice. The choir master was planning the next concert and asked if I would take a solo slot with guitar at the mid November concert. So I had better think of something appropriate to play and sing!!! I sort of thought that there was an ulterior motive to the call. The malts will get a hammering while I work up my set piece.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-02-2023, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
Pineapple juice works for me. It seems to lubricate my larynx. I can be raw, sick and/or congested - it still allows me to sing all night without any strain.

It doesn't seem to be a widely recommended solution, but it's the one I always turn to.
I laughed when I read this as W.C. Fields always claimed that the large thermos he brought on movie sets was filled with pineapple juice (it was in fact, gin). Someone on set once refilled his thermos with pineapple juice resulting in his loud complaint "someone put pineapple juice in my pineapple juice!"
Old 11-02-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I laughed when I read this as W.C. Fields always claimed that the large thermos he brought on movie sets was filled with pineapple juice (it was in fact, gin). Someone on set once refilled his thermos with pineapple juice resulting in his loud complaint "someone put pineapple juice in my pineapple juice!"
I like gin just fine, but not so much while I'm singing.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 11-03-2023, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Cool Ha Ha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
What Abraham Hicks wrote is fine but as an Englishman, I MUST counsel against "Liptons" Tea, it is undoubtedly the worst tea that can be bought.
If you can find some "Tetleys" or "Typhoo" or "PG Tips".

They are far better, and remember you make tea by pouring BOILING water on it, not "boiled" water.
As far as milk in tea, it must be "semi-skimmed" NEVER full cream! and as little as possible to make it "dark tan"

Remember, Tea is an infusion, not a stimulant (like Coffee!)
Ha! I would no doubt agree with you as to flavour (see what I did there?), but Judy's recommendation for Liptons was that the preponderance of tannins does something very good for the vocal cords!

Good to know the "proper" method of making tea!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-06-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonesolo View Post
Hey all, Do any of you vocalists have a special drink (hot or cold) that you bring to gigs to help keep your voice clear and soothed. Not referring to alcohol. I get a bit of flem from singing a lot and would like to keep my vocals as clear as I can. Any good lozenges to keep on hand that might help? I don't smoke so I'm sure that helps. Thanks
If I'm singing a lot I just drink super cold ice water. The cold really helps reduce the inflammation from prolonged singing.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:05 PM

Absolutely no diary products day of show.

Lately my preferred beverages are a nice juicy IPA and a Jameson neat.

(Yes, I know the broad consensus is “no drinking because it’s unprofessional”. But, hey, I’m there to have fun too and I never go overboard.)
Old 11-10-2023, 01:45 AM

"How much ginger root in how much water. I hear good things about ginger root. I will have to try. Thanks".

I make it pretty strong, about a fistful of ginger in a large pot of water.

I would advise just try it out and adjust to your taste.

It will only do good things for your vocal cords and overall health as well. No downsides. Some people claim it's a stimulant but I have never experienced any problem sleeping. I think it keeps me healthy.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
In the early 90's, I was fortunate to get to work with Judy Davis, an incredible vocal coach based in the East SF Bay Area... in the 50 years that she had worked with various singers before I met her, she amassed an INCREDIBLE list of artists with whom she had coached; from Judy Garland and Lena Horne, through Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Mel Torme, and Barbra Streisand, Peter, Paul and Mary, Grace Slick... and on and on. I write this to establish that this woman REALLY knew from whence she spoke!

Judy gave us a fair number of ways to care for our throats in times of distress, as well as general maintenance... there are a lot of various "remedies" that go against what she taught us...

-First off, avoid anything that constricts or dehydrates the vocal cords... citrus is wonderful, but it is acidic and an astringent; not good for singing... ice or very cold drinks cause the throat to tighten up... alcohol is an astringent and dehydrates; best to not drink 'em when you have a show coming up or during a performance.

-Honey, Judy said, is the closest thing to the natural lubricant of the throat... and good ol' Lipton's Tea is very beneficial for singers... she spoke of Dean Martin, how he'd always use a glass of what looked like whisky or scotch - and it was really Lipton's tea with honey! The whole "slightly drunk" thing was his schtick...

Dairy seems to clog up some folks, but not others - I'm fine with some cream in my coffee while I'm playing and singing. Find what works for you... if I had any question at all about how strong my voice/throat felt, I'd make a batch of Lipton's tea with honey and put in a thermos to take with me to the gig... even when cooled down to room temperature, it is very effective and soothing to the throat.

Doing some gentle warm-ups before a gig always helps me to be able to come out "firing on all cylinders"... breathing well while singing makes a huge difference; having enough air behind the notes is paramount! Funny, as I've gotten older (72 now), having plenty of air behind notes is most important when I'm singing softly... helps to start a note on pitch and solidly without wavering or shifting.

That's all I got! Good luck... I know it's weird but I'd advise staying away from lemon in that tea, at least when you're performing. Great if you don't have to sing, seriously, for a couple hours, but not a good thing during...
This stuff is gold and should be read carefully by serious singers.

Most of the people I've encountered in gigging just tune their instruments and go for it. No attention to vocal warm ups of any kind, just opened their mouths and go, with periodic lubrication by alcohol of some sort.

What I find particularly interesting in looking at old photographs of famous singers in the studio between takes is that many of them are smoking! That I really don't understand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write