The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Widely and highly regarded SDC mics for recording acoustic guitar

Like with the DAW thread I started, I thought this might be a helpful reference thread to have around since the subject comes up quite often. I do NOT want to make this a list of everyone's favorite sdc choices, but rather a starting point for people to explore the most highly and widely regarded options for higher end (expensive) and lower end (inexpensive) options. My thinking is this... these would be microphones for which a large pool of opinions, videos, and sound samples could be easily found on the intertubes. It would give people a place to start and, in the process of researching, gain some valuable knowledge that could lead to discussions they could begin here about either the mic from the list or a discussion that begins with "I like this mic. What are my alternatives?"

I think I've included all the usual suspects. If there's a glaring omission, let me know.

Edit: After some discussion here, I'm adding a secondary thread of sdc mics that member here use and would recommend. So if you have an sdc preference that isn't on the Higher End or Lower End list, let me know in the comments and I'll add it to the AGF users list. But please limit those requests to mics you actually own and think highly of. I'm not trying to create a catalog of every mic out there.

Higher End ($750+ for a single mic)
Gefell M 300 ($790, pair-$1840)
Neumann KM184 ($800, pair-$1500)
Earthworks SR30 ($870)
Telefunken ELA M 260 ($1300, pair-$2500)
Josephson E22S ($1430)
Gefell M 295 ($1480)
Schoeps CMC64 ($1650, pair-$3250)
DPA 4011A ($1800, pair-$3660)
Neumann KM84 (vintage and typically $1800-$2000)

Lower End (under $750 for a single mic)
Audio-Technica AT4041 ($300)
Peluso CEMC-6 ($350)
Shure SM81 ($350)
Shure KSM141 ($400)
Lauten Audio LA120 ($420 for pair)
Earthworks TC25 ($500)
AKG C451B ($500)
Beyerdynamic MC930 ($550)
Soyuz 013 FET ($600)
Earthworks SR25 ($620)

Lesser known sdc mics owned and recommended by AGF members
Line Audio CM4 ($125) (Wrighty)
Line Audio CM3 (cardioid) ($125) (ChuckS)
sE Electronics SE8 ($250) (RodB)
Shure KSM137 ($300) (islandguitar)
3-Zigma CHI TL with SD-C capsule (cardioid) ($500) (ChuckS)
3-Zigma CHI TL with SD-O capsule (omni) ($500) (ChuckS)
AKG C451E (vintage and typically around $700) (Bob Womack)
Sennheiser MKH40 (cardioid) ($1200) (ChuckS)
Gefell M296S (omni) ($1640) (ChuckS)
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 10-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Excellent Reference guide...and a very good idea that will help those interested.
You might consider adding the various Capsules with the Schoeps. That could be included on the same line. So you would not be taking up much more space. Other capsules people use for guitar are 41, 22, 21 and the omni.
And the same could be said for DPA...as the 4015 and Omni capsules are also used.
And maybe you should start a Large Diaphram list as well? That would also be interesting.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Excellent Reference guide...and a very good idea that will help those interested.
Thanks.

Quote:
You might consider adding the various Capsules with the Schoeps. That could be included on the same line. So you would not be taking up much more space. Other capsules people use for guitar are 41, 22, 21 and the omni.
And the same could be said for DPA...as the 4015 and Omni capsules are also used.
I thought about it but if we list every variant for some of the mics, the list will become as long as my arm and not be very useful. I tried to limit it to those mics I think I've seen the most comments on across the various boards I visit, as well as mics that I've seen have a good amount of media available for people to make comparisons.

With the Schoeps, since you used that as your example, the cardioid is by far the most popular capsule and I'm content to let that represent the mic. In the course of researching it, a person would undoubtedly come across the other capsules or they would certainly be brought up in a Schoeps thread if the interested party started one. I did allow some multiple examples from some makers, but those are all different mics with large fanbases whereas in the case of Schoeps it would be the same mic with a different capsule.

I'm not trying to steer anyone towards a mic on the list but rather to give people some places to start researching considering the overwhelming number of choices out there.

Quote:
And maybe you should start a Large Diaphram list as well? That would also be interesting.
I have given that some thought and I think it's a more difficult task to narrow LDC mics down to short lists. There are the obvious examples: U47, U67, U87, M49, etc. but those are cloned by everyone and the clones are of such varying quality that I'm not sure how to make a list that would be short enough to be useful.

YouTube
Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Excellent and useful idea for a thread. Whilst I understand the need to limit the list it does exclude some less widely known but highly regarded (by some at least) mics such as the sE Electronics SE8.

But then, I wasn’t a typical DAW user either...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 10-01-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Like with the DAW thread I started, I thought this might be a helpful reference thread to have around since the subject comes up quite often. I do NOT want to make this a list of everyone's favorite sdc choices, but rather a starting point for people to explore the most highly and widely regarded options for higher end (expensive) and lower end (inexpensive) options. My thinking is this... these would be microphones for which a large pool of opinions, videos, and sound samples could be easily found on the intertubes. It would give people a place to start and, in the process of researching, gain some valuable knowledge that could lead to discussions they could begin here about either the mic from the list or a discussion that begins with "I like this mic. What are my alternatives?"

I think I've included all the usual suspects. If there's a glaring omission, let me know.

Higher End ($750+ for a single mic)
Gefell M 300 ($790, pair-$1840)
Neumann KM184 ($800, pair-$1500)
Earthworks SR30 ($870)
Telefunken ELA M 260 ($1300, pair-$2500)
Josephson E22S ($1430)
Gefell M 295 ($1480)
Schoeps CMC64 ($1650, pair-$3250)
DPA 4011A ($1800, pair-$3660)
Neumann KM84 (vintage and typically $1800-$2000)

Lower End (under $750 for a single mic)
Audio-Technica AT4041 ($300)
Peluso CEMC-6 ($350)
Shure SM81 ($350)
Shure KSM141 ($400)
Lauten Audio LA120 ($420 for pair)
Earthworks TC25 ($500)
AKG C451B ($500)
Beyerdynamic MC930 ($550)
Soyuz 013 FET ($600)
Earthworks SR25 ($620)
Thanks Jim - great idea.

I may be slightly biased but I would suggest adding the Line Audio CM4 to the low cost list. I may have missed these mics had it not been for a gearslutz forum post, which would have been a shame as I think they offer a relatively high end sound for a budget price. Relatively unknown so understand if they don't make the cut ;-)

I would also consider the AT2020 as one of the best starter mics for recording acoustic guitar - very good value and will be enough for many wanting to record for YT.

Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-01-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post

I would also consider the AT2020 as one of the best starter mics for recording acoustic guitar - very good value and will be enough for many wanting to record for YT.

Hope this helps.
I second this emotion . . .
Old 10-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Nice list / resource. However, I do find it a bit hard to understand how the limits of the "highly and widely regarded" criteria are to be applied. For example, the list seems very biased to cardioid mics, and while that is most likely the highest percentage of mics used, I think there are a lot of omni mics that are highly and widely regarded for certain applications or tonal preferences. These could include Schoeps CMC62, various DPA models, Line Audio OM1, and Gefell M296. Is 'widely' regarded meant to be limited to typical environments, like home recording? If so, then I guess I can see the bias towards directional mics and limitations on omnis.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim - great idea.

I may be slightly biased but I would suggest adding the Line Audio CM4 to the low cost list. I may have missed these mics had it not been for a gearslutz forum post, which would have been a shame as I think they offer a relatively high end sound for a budget price. Relatively unknown so understand if they don't make the cut ;-)
It's not intended as a slight against the mic, but the CM4 has only been out for about 18 months and not many people have heard about it. As I said at the top, keeping the list short gives people a jumping in point where no matter which mic they decide to investigate first, they'll find tons of info and sound resources. They're bound to see mentions of other mics while they're doing their research and in many cases, that will lead to further conversation here in whatever thread they start and that's where alternatives can be offered. If the list becomes too long, I think its usefulness becomes diminished.

Quote:
This is an sdc list and the AT2020 isn't an sdc.

Since last night I've thought about doing the same thing for ldc mics but I don't see any way to keep that short. There are just too many options out there, even within the same style mic, that would meet the widely known and highly regarded criteria I set for this list. Heck... there are probably half a dozen 47ish mics alone that would make the list. Maybe more.

YouTube
Old 10-01-2020, 07:40 AM

Fair enough re the CM4..

I've always understood the AT2020 was more of a small to mid size diaphragm at 16mm but certainly not considered an LDC I don't think (24-28mm)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Okay, I knew my "highly and widely" criteria was going to draw some push back. In my head, I see the value of the shorter list but I'm not opposed to creating a secondary list of the mics preferred by users here. So let me know what sdc you feel should go on the secondary list and please limit your suggestions to mics you actually own. I'll add the mic to the secondary list along with your member name so interested parties will know who to direct a specific question to regarding that particular mic.

YouTube
Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Great idea.
Understanding that today there are so many great mic choices and when you factor in personal taste and preference the potential pool is pretty big

I noticed there are no Ribbon mics in your list (which while probably not as high and wide as the ones on your list BUT do have a definite following among pro engineers, particularly the Royer 121) so I will add my personal choice and current acoustic guitar mics

After owning and sadly having to sell a Schoeps CMC6 MT4

I now use a pair of The AEA NT 22 phantom powered ribbons @ MAP of $999 each ,

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-01-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Great idea.
Understanding that today there are so many great mic choices and when you factor in personal taste and preference the potential pool is pretty big

I noticed there are no Ribbon mics in your list (which while probably not as high and wide as the ones on your list BUT do have a definite following among pro engineers, particularly the Royer 121) so I will add my personal choice and current acoustic guitar mics

After owning and sadly having to sell a Schoeps CMC6 MT4

I now use a pair of The AEA NT 22 phantom powered ribbons @ MAP of $999 each ,
I've considered what to do about LDCs, ribbons, and dynamics for the last half hour or so. As I said, I don't think it's possible to come up with a short list for LDCs, so I think the best thing to do is simply make a list of what we're all using in those categories. I'll do that after the SDC list is finished.

Perhaps when it's all said and done, the DAW and mic info can all go into one thread and get pinned to the top of this subforum. Not sure if the admins will do that for us but it would be a helpful resource for the people coming in and asking advice.

YouTube
Old 10-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay, I knew my "highly and widely" criteria was going to draw some push back. In my head, I see the value of the shorter list but I'm not opposed to creating a secondary list of the mics preferred by users here. So let me know what sdc you feel should go on the secondary list and please limit your suggestions to mics you actually own. I'll add the mic to the secondary list along with your member name so interested parties will know who to direct a specific question to regarding that particular mic.
Hey Jim,
I've got a few to consider adding to the "Lesser known sdc mics owned and recommended by AGF members"
Line Audio CM3 (cardioid) ($125)
3-Zigma CHI TL with SD-C capsule (cardioid) ($500)
3-Zigma CHI TL with SD-O capsule (omni) ($500)
Sennheiser MK40 (cardioid) ($1200)
Gefell M296S (omni) ($1640)

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-01-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good idea - in my case then the sE Electronics SE8. Glad to provide raw takes if anyone is interested. Available for $249

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Sennheiser MK40 (cardioid) ($1200)
Chuck, is that the MKH40 or is there an MK40 model also?

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD