The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Guest 33123

Default Primaacosutic London 10 Room Treatment Kit?

Hi guys,

at alohachris' urging I've been investigating room treatments for my ~10' x 10' music room today and I stumbled across this:

https://www.primacoustic.com/london-10/

It's from the Radial guys who are a Canadian company which means I get the kit for an affordable price. And they are lot more attractive than anything I can make myself which for a married man is definitely a factor!

Anybody have experience or comments on this system?
Old 09-21-2020, 03:34 PM
Eric Skye

Yup. I use the kit in my home office that is about 10 X 10 and it made a big difference. Solid investment for sure.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Get thicker panels. Preferably 4" thick.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 PM
Guest 33123

Actually the room is 10.5' x 11.5' so I'd be looking at the London 12 which has bass traps:

https://www.primacoustic.com/london-12/

I've also been looking at ATS but it would be more expensive since I'm in Canada:

https://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--AT...nels--100.html
Old 09-21-2020, 05:42 PM

That's about a bare minimum square footage to help, and thicker would be better to tame low end problems. A room like that is really difficult to tame--I know, I have one! A small square, almost a cube, is the worst case scenario. The more and the thicker you can afford, the better. 2" wall panels would be a start; then look into corner "traps" for the bass.

I made 7 2'x4'x4" wall panels, plus 7 1.5'x4'x6" panels that sit diagonally in the corners floor to ceiling. After a total of 86 square feet coverage... I still noticed some really bad ringing echoes, almost like a spring reverb, between ceiling and floor! So another 24sf of panels will be going up on the ceiling in a "cloud" soon. Good luck.

EDIT: Most of the commercial panels I looked into have a solid backing (piece of plywood or similar). You'll actually get better results with an open frame, fabric on both sides, and then mounted away from the wall the same distance at the thickness of the panel (e.g. mount a 2" thick panel so it stands away from the wall by 2"). You get significantly better absorption because the sound passes through the panel again after reflecting off the wall. After making a bunch of my own, I ordered a few from Acousticmac (for the ceiling), but had to specify no backing, and then cover the back with fabric myself anyway.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

The larger 2" panels will help. The square 1" panels won't help much at all.

Check out GIK panels for a price comparison. GIK has a larger variety including 4" panels measuring 2' x 4'. The 4" x 2' x 4' panels are what most folks use, particularly in the corners of a room.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:58 PM

Oh, and if you're even moderately handy, you can make something almost as good-looking as the commercial stuff. I ordered the Acoustimac fabric to make my own, then decided to just buy a few with the same covering. One of these is my home-made, the other made by Acoustimac:

Maybe you can tell which is which but they are pretty close (and mine could be even nicer if I had anything even resembling upholstery skills!).

If you have the time and inclination, you can definitely get more for your money.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Default 4" Minimum Thick Broadband Absorbers Only is Recommended

Aloha J-Doug,

I'd recommend using only a minimum of 4" thick broadband absorbers, bought or DIY. So the above Primaacoustic London 10 system may save you money on shipping but may not offer what you need in terms of 4" thick panels with so many thinner ones.

When I was building my OC 703 panels, I tested the effectiveness of using 2" thick panels before I glued two up to make 4" thick panels - trying to save money. The result was that the 2" panels did NOT do what I'd hoped it would do in terms of room control nor were they free standing.

So just take this opinion under advisement, Triple 000 Doug, as you work through your many treatment options.

BTW, if you make your own absorbers, you can select fabric combinations - or better yet, let your wife do the selecting - so that the panels will pass the "wife test." Enlist her assistance in making them attractive. Further empowerment to the empowered - Ha! I only added the contrasting colorful designs to my all-white panels after negative comments from a coupla lady friends about "blandness." Don't know if making the change worked to satisfy them - I'm still blissfully alone (as in ALL ONE) Ha! (Yeah, it was my bland panels, yeah right).

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-21-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hi guys,

at alohachris' urging I've been investigating room treatments for my ~10' x 10' music room today and I stumbled across this:

https://www.primacoustic.com/london-10/

It's from the Radial guys who are a Canadian company which means I get the kit for an affordable price. And they are lot more attractive than anything I can make myself which for a married man is definitely a factor!

Anybody have experience or comments on this system?
The kit type approach has pros and cons.

Pro : likely somewhat less expensive than buying the same number of individual pieces .
Con: may be getting (and spending money) on some pieces you don't really need or want.

I agree with alohachris , sdelsolray and rick-slo ,,, I personally would only consider 4 " thick broadband absorbers for the front (wall you are facing while in the mix position) and side walls .

I don't know about exchange rate and or shipping but I would second GIK and highly recommend calling up them up https://www.gikacoustics.com/?gclid=...SAAEgK4HPD_BwE
When I dealt with them (a number of years back) they were very helpful and did not try to oversell me for my specific needs of my room

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-22-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Guest 33123

I had a chat with the family about wall mounted treatments and they are not going to fly. It is a shared space so the project is on indefinte hold. Maybe I can build or buy some freestanding gobos for that room but I doubt they would fit in there and things are starting to get expensive!

Thanks guys for all of your guidance. Guess I'll stick with my Zoom for now.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 09-22-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had a chat with the family about wall mounted treatments ad they are not going to fly. It is a shared space so the project is on indefinte hold. Maybe I can build or buy some freestanding gobos for that room but I doubt they would fit in there and things are starting to get expensive!

Thanks guys for all of your guidance. Guess I'll stick with my Zoom for now.
You are not alone and abandoned in an acoustic wasteland my friend
GIK et. al. also have Free Standing Gobo type panel options which can be place for recording and then stored (if you have some place to do so) just 4 of these placed around you at @ 45 degree angles to the room corners would help a bunch

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...ding-products/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
You are not alone and abandoned in an acoustic wasteland my friend
GIK et. al. also have Free Standing Gobo type panel options which can be place for recording and then stored (if you have some place to do so) just 4 of these placed around you at @ 45 degree angles to the room corners would help a bunch

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...ding-products/
Thanks Kev! There's no way I could fit 4 of those in the room though with the furniture in the room. Would 2 work? Or would it be pointless?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I bought ATS Acoustics panels.
They have a free room analysis for suggested room treatment. It's free.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/page--F...ysis--ora.html

Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I bought ATS Acoustics panels.
They have a free room analysis for suggested room treatment. It's free.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/page--F...ysis--ora.html
Yes I ran through that yesterday but wall mounts are not an option so yeah I'm running out of options.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I ran through that yesterday but wall mounts are not an option so yeah I'm running out of options.
Here is my panel layout. Did get wife to go along with it.

]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD