The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-19-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

It’s already been mentioned that you have what you need to get started but I would reiterate about experimenting both with mic positioning and with where in the house you can record. Go to different rooms (and parts of rooms) and clap your hands. If you hear an echo try another room or location in the house. Generally speaking, less echo is better. Experiment with hanging thick blankets and placing pillows around a room, then listen to play back. This could be a useful exercise in understanding how recordings can be Improved by some sound absorption. Sound absorption (and defusion) can get expensive but there are some cheap and easy fixes that can help. Google “cheep or DYI sound treatment for recording acoustic guitar” loads of crap but also some useful info, vids and directions
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-06-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Okay, I'm getting ready to take the plunge. I own guitars, cables, mics and stands.

So now I need to acquire the rest of it. I'm leaning toward buying the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and downloading Reaper software. They both seem to be everywhere, so an abundance of supporting info, tutorials, tips and tricks should prove handy.

I have nice Altec Lansing speakers connected to the laptop speaker jack. Will additional monitors or headphones connected directly to the interface become necessary for stacking multiple tracks without encountering lag? Or can I work without them at least to start out?

Regarding headphones, merely decent is fine since my ears can't detect the difference between a great pair and a good pair. With that criteria, what's a good value?

I've jumped into a couple Zoom guitar circles recently and noticed a lot of headphones and mics (I'm using what's on the laptop and the other players say it sounds fine). Would this Focusrite be a good real-time interface for inputting better sound to Zoom with my good mics?

Thanks for advice.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-06-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I have nice Altec Lansing speakers connected to the laptop speaker jack. Will additional monitors or headphones connected directly to the interface become necessary for stacking multiple tracks without encountering lag? Or can I work without them at least to start out?
You can't use two different audio systems at the same time in Reaper, so you can't use the Focusrite input and the PC jacks for output. The Focusrite will use their own ASIO driver, while the PC jacks use Windows WaveOut.

You can either connect your speakers to the 2i2 output (1/4" balanced; you'll need adapters) or just use headphones plugged into the 2i2 for now. You do need something to hear what you just did. I'll let others chime in with headphone recommendations, although for multi-tracking Sennheiser HD 280 is a standard choice, $99.

Quote:
Would this Focusrite be a good real-time interface for inputting better sound to Zoom with my good mics?
Yes, I do this all the time. Zoom, BTW, does allow you to use different audio systems for in/out, so you can use the Focusrite with a good mic hooked up as your Zoom mic, and your PC speakers or headphones for output.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD