The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 PM

Awesome rosette!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 AM

Default Memphis Build Thread - Michaud OM-R Lucky Strike/"The Tree"

It's all coming together Marcus! Congrats!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:36 AM

Very nice Marcus!

That LS Redwood unfinished has a "look" that is immediately identifiable once you know what it is. Fantastic build.....enjoying the progress! This one is going to be SO distinctive and beautiful!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Awesome rosette!
Thank you! I'm sure Joel would appreciate your appreciation He spent countless hours on that one haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan688 View Post
It's all coming together Marcus! Congrats!
Thanks Brendan. Can't wait to see yours. I love special artsy builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Very nice Marcus!

That LS Redwood unfinished has a "look" that is immediately identifiable once you know what it is. Fantastic build.....enjoying the progress! This one is going to be SO distinctive and beautiful!
Thank you and I'm glad you're enjoying it It still hasn't occurred to me yet that this guitar belongs to me. It still feels like a build thread I'm just viewing on the forum. I might be getting a real shock when I actually have it in my hands! Hahah
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM

Smile

I finally had a chance to view the newer posts in this thread, and Joe's artistry is really, really showing in the work he's doing on Marcus's guitar. The rosette, back strip and centre emblem are just pure class!

BTW - Joel played a joke on me too. He sent a photo which appeared to show all bright white plastic bindings on my guitar body. He said he had found this material and "thought if offered a unique contrast" to my guitar.

Marcus—mine's all but complete, so that means Joel will be turning his full attention to your guitar now. Watch out!!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 AM

Love how your build is coming along Marcus! Congratulations!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Love how your build is coming along Marcus! Congratulations!
Thanks brother! I'm loving how your build(s) are coming along as well! You are more than welcome to give mine a test drive when it has safely arrived in Singapore

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-26-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
I finally had a chance to view the newer posts in this thread, and Joe's artistry is really, really showing in the work he's doing on Marcus's guitar. The rosette, back strip and centre emblem are just pure class!

BTW - Joel played a joke on me too. He sent a photo which appeared to show all bright white plastic bindings on my guitar body. He said he had found this material and "thought if offered a unique contrast" to my guitar.

Marcus—mine's all but complete, so that means Joel will be turning his full attention to your guitar now. Watch out!!
I am so glad for Joel's artistic vision. I would have been quite upset if all the guitar did was sound good kidding!

Hahaha! That gave me a good laugh, I wonder if you fell for it like I did, even if only for a moment. Definitely one of the perks of working with Joel, he is an entertainer as well. I think we just scared away his potential customers as they will now be wary of his mischief

I'm really looking forward! We have chosen our fretboard material already, and from what I know, he is working on the bracing and we have discussed the bevel too. It is all coming together! Meanwhile, you can enjoy my build thread whilst playing your very own Michaud.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM

Next batch of updates coming up!

Joel uses a laminated tail block to help with the stability of the end graft area. Should the guitar ever be dropped (god forbid) and land on the end, it is likely to split if only a parallel grain block was used. So the laminate increases strength

The end block is then shaped with a 12" radius to match the curve of the sides and then glued

The head block receives similar treatment

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 AM

The next step is quite exciting as it involves the bevel! This is the support for the bevel and it is cut out of a big chunk of mahogany for its weight and stability and then shaped, making sure to leave enough that everything is properly supported but not any more than what is needed as he wants the top's vibrating area to be as large as possible

Time for the kerfed linings!

The end product - you can see the head and tail blocks installed. As well as the support for the Bevel and the Scoop Cutaway. This shot also gives a good idea of how the OM-R shape looks. I'm loving it!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM

A couple more shots to show off the completed rim

On a side note, Joel seems to have some extra pieces of THE TREE. By his calculation, these should be worth a few hundred bucks! Do I hear any bids?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Back Bracing Time!

Joel starts with a cross grain centre strip. It isn't very thick, it simply helps reinforce the centre joint from future movement and stress. It is glued and notched where the ladder bracing will be glued.

He has seen all kinds of jigs to shape braces to their proper radius. However, for him, there is nothing faster and more satisfying than taking a block plane and going at it. Each brace is finished quickly and then touched up on a radius dish

A huge nod goes out to Jeff Traugott for his floating back brace design. Joel looked to Jeff for his blessing before incorporating this aspect into his builds. He has experimented with several back bracing patterns, each with its own share of reflective/active properties, lending its own flavour to the mix. This is currently his favourite pattern for his style of building as he builds with thin backs. This bracing prevents the back from flattening out over time due to string pressure due to the centre tie.

What is most important is that the design couples the other ladder braces together. In his opinion, a big factor to a guitar's tone is developed through the coupling of the bracing, working together as a system.

Because the ladder braces are notched to accept the centre brace, he must regain their strength by capping their tops. This aspect goes out to Laurent Brondel whom Joel had the great pleasure of chatting with at Healdsburg and getting permission to incorporate this aspect into his building. The cap doesn't have to be thick, it simply is used to "trick" the brace into thinking that it has not been notched, and these caps are of course of The Tree!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 AM

This is after the final carve. Most of the voicing and carving is done before the caps are glued in.

Back is joined to the rims, and then sealed with shellac to help with moisture transfer. The figure is just gorgeous!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Default Memphis Build Thread - Michaud OM-R Lucky Strike/"The Tree"

Looking good! So neat that the scoop cutaway isn't noticeable in this stage. I've never seen that before. You went with wenge for the bindings rights? Same with the scoop?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM

Wow that has got to be the nicest inside of a guitar I've ever seen! Almost a shame to close the box.

TK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree