The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 PM

Default Gibson Announces Major Expansion in Bozeman

I read this article from the Bozeman Daily Chronicle then came to AGF to read the commentary and couldn't find a thread.

"Executives at Wednesday’s ceremony said they plan to more than double the manufacturing space inside Bozeman’s acoustic facility. They also plan to build a custom shop and showroom, which will “celebrate the history and legendary quality of Gibson’s handcrafted acoustic guitars.”"
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL

Last edited by tgaume; 03-04-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

I hope they have high quality tonewoods to support the ramp up.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:45 AM

Will there be an area in the new layout that is dedicated to properly cutting the nuts?

because man,, they sure could use an area where they were dedicated to properly cutting the nuts..

Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 AM

Interesting that they are expanding, yet cutting back on the number of models they offer. They must be planning on selling a lot of J-45’s.

Seriously, I know guitar sales are through the roof since the pandemic started, but will this continue once things go back to normal, or even semi-normal? Gibson must think so.

John
Old 03-05-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I thought the same thing but from the Gibson quote they showed, I got that
these aren't just temporary COVID sales....but also a whole new group of people started playing the guitar, which would mean an enlarged customer base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post
Interesting that they are expanding, yet cutting back on the number of models they offer. They must be planning on selling a lot of J-45’s.

Seriously, I know guitar sales are through the roof since the pandemic started, but will this continue once things go back to normal, or even semi-normal? Gibson must think so.

John

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-05-2021, 07:27 AM

Default Decision time...

Gibson would (should) be wise to realize that any current bump in sales is their boat rising with a tide, not necessarily a big demand for their brand in particular.

Never make major capital decisions when your market is at an historic high. Something about "irrational exuberance."
Furch Gc-CR Red

ELECTRICS
Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 reissue sunburst
Carvin Bolt
Stratocaster custom build
Schecter Stiletto 5-string bass

Last edited by SkipII; 03-05-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 AM

Default Us v. Them

Gibson continues to hurl down the path of thinking a brand is about them, rather than those who use their product.

As far as this being interpreted as a major market trend rather than a COVID-driven bump, it is worth noting that most who took up guitar during the last year to overcome cabin fever may not buy another guitar, and the one they bought might end up in the closet. While they might "discover" a passion for the instrument, for most it temporarily filled a gap of idle time. When you get a dog to overcome loneliness, it doesn't mean you are on a path to running a kennel.

I wish them well, as undeserved as their "storied" history also attests, but I fear there will be a new bowling alley opened up in a few years if they can't get better at managing their brand, quality, and market penetration. "Vintage" brand equity only goes so far in a world of such diverse choices today.
Furch Gc-CR Red

ELECTRICS
Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 reissue sunburst
Carvin Bolt
Stratocaster custom build
Schecter Stiletto 5-string bass

Last edited by SkipII; 03-05-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like we will soon have one more reason to visit Montana. Looking forward to more details on the custom shop.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
My recent experience suggests the rosewood they're using is of appalling quality. I was in the market for a Les Paul recently and each one I examined in my local shop had rough, scratchy and unbuffed fretboards. Not good for a guitar costing thousands. The guitars were otherwise impeccably finished, yet the most crucial part, the playing surface, felt like playing corduroy. The Epiphone examples, on the other hand, were very nicely finished. I came away with a Telecaster!
Old 03-05-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I sure hope they have enough high quality skilled labor to support the ramp up too.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post
Interesting that they are expanding, yet cutting back on the number of models they offer. They must be planning on selling a lot of J-45’s. Seriously, I know guitar sales are through the roof since the pandemic started, but will this continue once things go back to normal, or even semi-normal? Gibson must think so.
I dunno...they've always been able to sell everything that they make. Even before the pandemic. Maybe they can open up a few more dealers around the country so we can at least see the stock. The only place around here that has them are Guitar Center...I'd rather shop at a five star dealer.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:04 AM

Default Yup

Bozeman has seen a surge of builders "move in" . Gibson has some serious competition in town!...
Old 03-05-2021, 09:09 AM
Guest 33123

I know someone in the guitar industry who has been to Bozeman. They say the facility is small and lacks appropriate equpment in some cases, especially around dust managment. The workforce is doing their best with what they have so hopefully this update will get them the environment they need to continue to build fine acoustic guitars.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-05-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Someone I know the guitar industry who has been to Bozeman. They say the facility is small and lacks appropriate equpment in some cases, especially around dust managment. The workforce is doing their best with what they have so hopefully this update will get them the environment they need to continue to build fine acoustic guitars.
I have toured the facility and it is tight in there.

Nice folks and they build some great i instruments. I wish them well
Old 03-05-2021, 10:35 AM

Glad to see this. I don't currently own one of their guitars, but I do have a F5 Gibson Mandolin that is a killer. I hope they "live long and prosper!"

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion