The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 02:33 AM

Default Sigma 000/OMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebook View Post
Wow! That's great. The guitar has so much going for it. I wonder whether I could manage with the longer scale length.

Some time ago, I have seen a video of Diane Ponzio about Martin 000 and OM. She told that if you pick up an OM longer scale, you can ever put a capo on the first fret an substantially you have a OOO...remember to tune down an half step before. (to be precise there is also a little difference in the bracing). So I bought a Shubb C1 and I tried. I did not tune it down, so the guitar was tuned E# t e#, but fir a test was ok for me. I do not do it often, but when I do it, I have a short scale with a 13/16 wide nut.... my dream guitar [emoji16]. The only thing that I do not like so much about my Sigma, it is the thin neck. I eould prefer if it was more chunky. Anyway I start to be quite comfortable with it. I bought also a super cheap all laminated parlor ( short scale 630 mm and 46mm wide neck from Baton rouge) to use for comfortable couch sessions an campfire. So I for now I tend to use the Sigma without the capo trick.

P.S. the Sigma OOO has the same scale of the Martin OM
Old 03-06-2021, 06:13 AM

Thanks for that posting! VERY interesting. I'd like to check out that video if I can find it on YouTube. My question would be that I'm used to using a certain set of strings with a certain tension on my guitar that has a short scale i.e. 24.9". So I put the same strings on the longer scale guitar and tuned down half a step would they feel the same, would the tension feel the same as when played on the short scale? Maybe I'll pursue this in another thread. If you happen to know where the video is I'd appreciate a link to it. So if your dream guitar has a short scale and a 46mm nut (like on Fylde guitars), what bridge string spacing do you like best?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Sigma 000/OMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebook View Post
Thanks for that posting! VERY interesting. I'd like to check out that video if I can find it on YouTube. My question would be that I'm used to using a certain set of strings with a certain tension on my guitar that has a short scale i.e. 24.9". So I put the same strings on the longer scale guitar and tuned down half a step would they feel the same, would the tension feel the same as when played on the short scale? Maybe I'll pursue this in another thread. If you happen to know where the video is I'd appreciate a link to it. So if your dream guitar has a short scale and a 46mm nut (like on Fylde guitars), what bridge string spacing do you like best?

Hi, I am still at the beginning of my journey in the guitar world. I can manage also 55 mm or even less, but 57.3 mm of the Sigma it is more comfortable. On steel string I never tried wider, instead on nylon I like the two that I have: 58mm and 59.4 mm.
This is the video that I spoke about: https://youtu.be/-z8g01wuE5c
Old 03-06-2021, 10:39 AM

Thanks. I managed to find the video. It is interesting though a new discussion I've opened suggests that detuning by half a step will make the strings much looser than they would be on a short scale. However, it is making me rethink the possibility of buying the Sigma guitar. My guitar has spacing of only 53.5mm and I can play it but for complex fingerstyle tunes it is very fiddly and tight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion