The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM

Default Nashville Tuning

I am going to string one of my guitars in Nashville Tuning. To those that are experienced with NT, which guitar would be better suited (If any):
Taylor 814ce, 322ce, GC8 Slot Head or GS mini Koa?????

Also, aside from "Wild Horses " and "Hey You", what other classic rock songs would sound good played in NT??

Thank you,

CA
1967 Harmony H162
Very Old Classical
Taylor GC8
Taylor 322ce
1981 Alvarez Yairi DY53
1986 Alvarez Yari DY47
1988 Alvarez Yairi DY80 12 String
1992 Alvarez Yari DY91
1992 Alvarez Yairi WY-1K
Larrivée L-03R 12
Old 03-06-2021, 11:36 AM

I had an old Takamine that I kept in Nashville tuning for about two years, and although I liked it, the simple truth of it is that I didn't play it all that much.

So I wouldn't take my main daily player and convert it. Pick whatever one you consider a "secondary" guitar, maybe the C322ce? Nashville tuning tends to be pretty bright tone-wise. A mahogany top might help mellow that out if you're not crazy about bright tone. Additionally, you probably won't need the upper registers of the fretboard so much, and I believe the 322 is a 12-fretter, right?

Your choice of course, but that's the one I'd think about.

When I finally got a 12-string acoustic, the Nashville Takamine became redundant. I restrung it back to normal. But there's no doubt it was a fun experiment and worth the effort. There's only so much material you need Nashville tuning for, but there's no limit to what you can adapt to it.

Have fun and good luck with it!
Old 03-06-2021, 11:49 AM

If you're looking for an unbelievably sparkly sound, try the 814 since it's already got that sparkling clarity on the high end.

Re what songs - I used to keep one guitar in Nashville all the time, but I was playing in a band with another guitarist so I could have a very different voice to layer in when I wanted. We also had a violin and cello (also played bass) so we had a very layered sound to begin with.

Mess around with it, have fun.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 03-06-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

With those choices I would do the GC8 but I would modify the string gages. Feel free to message me and ill go measure mine for you. Currently have mine being used for a couple pro recording sessions.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:16 PM

Once upon a time I knew what Nashville tuning was. Had to refresh my memory. For those who don't know:

Wikipedia:
Nashville or high strung tuning refers to the practice of replacing the wound E, A, D and G strings on a six-string guitar with lighter gauge strings to allow tuning an octave higher than standard.

I had no idea Dust in the Wind was in Nashville tuning.

I'd use the 814 or the GC8, whichever one you use the least so that the other can be left with standard strings for the other material you play the most.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
I am going to string one of my guitars in Nashville Tuning. To those that are experienced with NT, which guitar would be better suited (If any):
Taylor 814ce, 322ce, GC8 Slot Head or GS mini Koa?????

Also, aside from "Wild Horses " and "Hey You", what other classic rock songs would sound good played in NT??

Thank you,

CA
Hi c-a

I've strung my Baby Tayor with Nashville tuning for recording.

It's not going to sound robust or different on most guitars, since it's just the octave strings from a set of 12 string guitar strings.

The lowest bass string in a Nashville set is the weight of the 3rd string on a normal set of strings (.024 - .030)…the G string's thickness.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-06-2021, 03:37 PM

I have a guitar I use for Nashville tuning - Australian builder Dan Dubowski rosewood, 13 fret.

I have used these D'Addario,Martin and GHS string sets and prefer the GHS.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-06-2021, 04:06 PM

I have my GS Mini-E Walnut in Nashville tuning and I love it. I pair it with my Breedlove in standard tuning and they sound rather nice. Almost like a twelve string if I'm tight enough.
~Bob
Old 03-06-2021, 05:57 PM

I would suggest stringing the one you normally play the least with the Nashville tuning. I used to tune my FGX730SCA with it but never really played it that much. It would be great for recording or for one or two songs, but that's about it. Like a 12 string, ironically. That's why I ended up selling my 12 string - - I seldom played it.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-06-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I would suggest stringing the one you normally play the least with the Nashville tuning.....
BINGO....it's a lot of fun from time to time as a change of pace and for certain recording needs, but if you want to have it handy when the mood strikes, I wouldn't put it on a guitar I already enjoy playing regularly. I also agree with the earlier recommendation about using NT on a GS-mini. I tried them on my all hog mini and it worked out very well.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:38 PM

Unrelated, but you reminded me to tune my Tele to Open G and play some Stones . . .
Old 03-06-2021, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I also like the GHS strings for High strung tuning and the Pearse are worth a try as well.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-06-2021, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

I had an Ovation Balladeer in Nashville tuning for studio work. Never played it as a stand-alone but to sweeten rhythm guitar tracks. I was surprised to learn that some producers were unfamiliar with it.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Once upon a time I knew what Nashville tuning was. Had to refresh my memory. For those who don't know:

Wikipedia:
Nashville or high strung tuning refers to the practice of replacing the wound E, A, D and G strings on a six-string guitar with lighter gauge strings to allow tuning an octave higher than standard.

I had no idea Dust in the Wind was in Nashville tuning.

I'd use the 814 or the GC8, whichever one you use the least so that the other can be left with standard strings for the other material you play the most.
Dust in the Wind was the first finger style song I learned years ago. I was aware of NT but had no clue of it’s use on that song. 🤪

Taylor 214 CE
Epiphone PR-5E
Yamaha FG430 with Fishman Prefix Blender
Guild OM-260CE Deluxe Antique Burst with Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend
Old 03-07-2021, 05:38 AM

I didn't know that either about Dust in the Wind. I've just had a listen and it sounds like two guitars, one in standard and the other in Nashville tuning. The video shows two guitarists, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion