The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I think its the wood. I've seen it on other Brazilian guitars too. hoping some wood experts will chime in
hmmm, very interesting! I've read about flourescence being one of the ways of determining a species of wood, perhaps that is what we are seeing. hope someone who knows will help us out!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ruble, your playing was fantastic! thanks for coming out and sharing your gifts and your beautiful Osthoffs!

I was looking at this Brazilian and it freaks me out in some lights you see some crazy green! What is the green we see? You don't see it normally, but under flash and sunlight it pops out! I don't really understand it, but its really neat!

keeping these pics at the top of the page!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Video I took last night. seems like she keeps opening up more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MadF...&feature=feedu

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Eric, I have to say you've been especially good to us. Two (Edit: THREE!! )videos, many beautiful photos, lots of words regarding the guitar and excellent documentation of the build process overall. I just want you to know that I (we!) appreciate all the effort you've gone through in documenting it. This thread is the new gold standard. Thanks.

Last edited by usb_chord; 11-07-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Eric, I have to say you've been especially good to us. Two (Edit: THREE!! )videos, many beautiful photos, lots of words regarding the guitar and excellent documentation of the build process overall. I just want you to know that I (we!) appreciate all the effort you've gone through in documenting it. This thread is the new gold standard. Thanks.
its just easy to do when you fall in love with such an instrument! I think its always nice to see how commissions turn out even after they are done!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 AM

this has been my favorite build thread for a looong time! i'm absolutely looking forward your Somogyi build thread! are you still trying to make that commision?

i had the chance to meet Ervin at his workshop and play the guitar that was at Healdsbourg (the Andamento) and i still see it in dreams...
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_K View Post
this has been my favorite build thread for a looong time! i'm absolutely looking forward your Somogyi build thread! are you still trying to make that commision?

i had the chance to meet Ervin at his workshop and play the guitar that was at Healdsbourg (the Andamento) and i still see it in dreams...
thanks for your comments! In all honesty, when I played my first Somogyi, I just had to have one. then, it was the finest guitar I have ever played. Since then, I have found one finer! I sat down with Jason and told him exactly what I wanted. I had him play my guitars and told him what I liked about each of them. I played a few Somogyis since then and told him what I liked about them. He built exactly what I articulated.

I have played a few Somogyis since then and this Kostal build is hands down better than them in the tone department and just as good if not better in the playability department. I have played handful of Traugotts, Somogyis, high end Olsons and Ryans, and many other high end instruments, but none of them do what this one does.

so unfortunately, I won't have a Somogyi build thread next. My Harp guitar is definitely in the works, but if I have another build thread, it won't be a Somogyi, it'll be a Jumbo Kostal

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM

your one lucky guy!! So many amazing guitars and a custom harp guitar on the way, how long until in the construction stage? Ever thought about commissioning a Greenfield? With all those fantastic builders you've dealt with adding him into the list would make for one of the best private collections in the world!

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley2209 View Post
your one lucky guy!! So many amazing guitars and a custom harp guitar on the way, how long until in the construction stage? Ever thought about commissioning a Greenfield? With all those fantastic builders you've dealt with adding him into the list would make for one of the best private collections in the world!
I'm not taking anything away from mike as he builds some fantastic instruments. I played a Greenfield and it simply didn't do anything for me. but that's the great thing about this day and age that there are builder for everyone!

Here's the Kostal side by side with the Greenfield:

Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
and I think harp guitar starts in Dec or Jan. Just waiting on the wood to acclimate

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Hi Eric,

Who's the harp guitar build with?

BK
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk314159 View Post
Hi Eric,

Who's the harp guitar build with?

BK
Don Sharp:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=212142

can't wait for it!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not taking anything away from mike as he builds some fantastic instruments. I played a Greenfield and it simply didn't do anything for me. but that's the great thing about this day and age that there are builder for everyone!

Here's the Kostal side by side with the Greenfield:

Personally i love Greenfield guitars and for me are up there in my top three But a totally agree that there's a builder for everyone, i regard today as being the golden age for the steel string guitar there's so many fantastic guitars being built and more and more talented luthiers making a name for themselves.

Is that Greenfield G-1 a 2004? Looks exactly like one i've seen for sale lol I'd love a Kostal Jumbo and i'm tempted to commission one, i've been looking for a high end guitar for a while and started with a lower budget but after looking into the added cost of the import taxes i took a step back. But after after putting alot of thought into it and having discussion's here on the forum and with a few players, i decided to go ahead with my original plan. I've decided to increase my budget to allow for those import fees and buy either a used high end guitar from North America or to commission one, there's too many North American builders that i admire for me not to because of the importation fees. Take it from a European, you're very lucky to have access to so many builders on your side of the pond without having to pay 23% or more in fees which majority of the time exclude these guitars from us Europeans. Anyway i'm looking forward to owning a high end guitar from North America and depending on what i can find in the used market between now and Christmas i may sign up for a Kostal build and we can compare notes

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook

Last edited by mutley2209; 11-08-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Personally i love Greenfield guitars and for me are up there in my top three But a totally agree that there's a builder for everyone, i regard today as being the golden age for the steel string guitar there's so many fantastic guitars being built and more and more talented luthiers making a name for themselves.

Is that Greenfield G-1 a 2004? Looks exactly like one i've seen for sale lol I'd love a Kostal Jumbo and i'm tempted to commission one, i've been looking for a high end guitar for a while and started with a lower budget but after looking into the added cost of the import taxes i took a step back. But after after putting alot of thought into it and having discussion's here on the forum and with a few players, i decided to go ahead with my original plan. I've decided to increase my budget to allow for those import fees and buy either a used high end guitar from North America or to commission one, there's too many North American builders that i admire for me not to because of the importation fees. Take it from a European, you're very lucky to have access to so many builders on your side of the pond without having to pay 23% or more in fees which majority of the time exclude these guitars from us Europeans. Anyway i'm looking forward to owning a high end guitar from North America and depending on what i can find in the used market between now and Christmas i may sign up for a Kostal build and we can compare notes
I love Greenfields too and I think if I played the Greenfield above 2 years ago, it would have been a top contender to buy. But thats until I played a Somogyi. I think you'll hear that a lot from those who have experienced a Somogyi And Jason was Somogyi's longest apprentice so I had to go for it and he far exceeded my expectations! I was able to play my Kostal with a few Somogyis side by side

and yes, that Greenfield in the pic is the same one in the classifieds!

Do yourself a favor and at least email Jason. See if he is a right match for you. If you want a used high end guitar, I do have Ryan Cathedral for sale

Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I love Greenfields too and I think if I played the Greenfield above 2 years ago, it would have been a top contender to buy. But thats until I played a Somogyi. I think you'll hear that a lot from those who have experienced a Somogyi And Jason was Somogyi's longest apprentice so I had to go for it and he far exceeded my expectations! I was able to play my Kostal with a few Somogyis side by side

and yes, that Greenfield in the pic is the same one in the classifieds!

Do yourself a favor and at least email Jason. See if he is a right match for you. If you want a used high end guitar, I do have Ryan Cathedral for sale
How'd you come by having that side by side with your Kostal? How'd it sound? I'm in the middle of discussing an offer on it, very good price for a used Greenfield Jason only has his base price listed so i'm not sure what's included with that altogether, the only added extra i'd want for definite would be a Venetian cutaway since adding anything else such as the Manzer wedge would put it outside of what i'm prepared to pay for a guitar atm because i have to pay 23.7% of the price on top upon import, darn tax man but then again a wait of up to two years would give me time to save up the extra needed, TOO MANY OPTIONS!

That Ryan is well....WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop