The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Default Martin d18 or d28 (same old argument i know)

Hi there!

I am new to the world of guitar forums but have been reading with great interest the threads discussing the merits of both the Martin D18 and the Martin D28.

I am 20 and play live a lot and am really trying to make the best music possible. A lot of the songs I write are in open C tunings or CGCGGC variations. I currently have a Taylor 110e and a very old Ovation which I both love, however with a bit of money from my 21st and some of my own money I am hoping to buy a new guitar in the next 6 months. I have had my eye on D18s and D28s for a while and the other day played both fairly extensively in a shop near me.

I have struggled to find answers to my questions in any of the existing threads around these two guitars, as I am trying to determine which guitar would be most ideal for playing in very low tunings, and which would give me the best live sound through a soundhole pick up. I haven't found a shop willing to allow me to detune a guitar as low as what i use at home, and that kind of limits how i base my opinion on a guitar, as i find that some guitars lend themselves to low tunings better than others. My Ovation for example sounds much better tuned low than my Taylor for example.

So could someone please offer me some advice on the differences I would find between the 18 and the 28 with regards to sound when tuned low, and how either would sound using a soundhole pick up such as a Seymour Duncan Woody etc.

Thank you for reading.
Harry
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM

To my ear, the 18 is for strumming, the 28 for playing leads. They're so close in sound, though, both are just exquisite in every way.

So, if I was Tony Rice I would play the 28, but if I was Gordon Lightfoot I would play the 18.

The 18 may be just a hair more well-rounded in terms of the so called range that an instrument can give you, but the note separation that the 28 provides is just a shade better, IMO, and that's going to be preferred by flat-picking wannabe Doc Watsons.

Last edited by Michael-Robert; 08-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM

Greetings, and welcome to the forum.

So, a few thoughts. I cannot specifically answer your questions, but I can share my experiences.

I often play in dropped, open tunings. I used to play a Martin D-1, and I have found that my Lowden is significantly better in dropped tunings than the dreadnought was. I can go down to C without losing too much sound, and I often leave it in various tunings around C# and I think it sounds great there. The scale length is only a tad longer than the Martin scale length, but the whole guitar seems to work significanty better for that kind of playing.

There is really no substitute for testing the guitar though. Whenever I go to test guitars I will try them in my usual tunings. I always tune them back up to standard afterward, so as not to inconvenience other people. But I think it is really worth finding some place that will let you try them the way you will be playing them. You are correct that some guitars will handle those tunings well, and some won't, and you can't often tell by playing in standard.

Edit: For what it's worth, I found the 2012 D-18 to be not significantly better in dropped tunings than the D-1. I didn't try the 28.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-Robert View Post
To my ear, the 18 is for strumming, the 28 for playing leads. They're so close in sound, though, both are just exquisite in every way.

So, if I was Tony Rice I would play the 28, but if I was Gordon Lightfoot I would play the 18.

The 18 may be just a hair more well-rounded in terms of the so called range that an instrument can give you, but the note separation that the 28 provides is just a shade better, IMO, and that's going to be preferred by flat-picking wannabe Doc Watsons.
Funny how we all hear things! I always thought in bluegrass that the D-28 was used for rhythm because of the Rosewood body and the natural lush reverb that wood offers- and that the D-18 was used for lead lines due to its Mahogany body and the dry direct woody sound that wood has...

On the other hand-I have owned a D-28 for 37 years (original owner) and I have found that it can handle just about anything extremely well.. the same is probably true for the 18's- and though I've never owned one I have had a couple of nice Mahogany dreads including a 70's Guild D-40C that also does everything pretty nicely..

Hard to go wrong with those 2 Martin models- they have long been among the best benchmarks for their style...

The Duncan pickup should do well but you might want to bump up a notch when your funds allow- especially if you play out a lot..

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 08-11-2013, 05:28 PM

I have a D18 and it has nice sparkly highs that cut pretty well . It is a really versatile guitar to my ears . It does single notes , rhythm , fingerpicking and everything else I throw at it.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM

I would have to play both to say and that's my recommendation to you. Play both and get the one that works best for you and your style of play.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM

How good is your Luthier? A D-28 set-up specifically to play in a low C open tuning such as you describe would roar. I had an old 12 string set-up for that tuning - it required a custom selection of strings (gauges). It can be done - but you really do need a good luthier to get the geometry right, and the tensions.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM

While I have never played in open C, when I had my D-18 I played a lot in Drop D and Double Drop D and I found it handled those tunings well. I also play a little bass, and honestly, a Double Drop D D-18 worked better than any of my ABGs. I would think a mahogany body might be better as a D-28 might have too many overtones.

If you really play that low, have you considered a baritone?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Honestly for open C I'd probably pick a Rosewood OM rather than a Dread sized instrument.

Probably an OM-21 or the MFG OM-35 reissue.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Never been a big rosewood Martin guy (all 000/OM's) but the OM-35 has changed my mind. I still prefer Martin mahogany, two to one in this house, but that Custom OM-35 from Jon at MFG has turned me a bit. Kind of looking forward to trying a D-28/HD-28 just for fun. Can a 28 Series dread still be had with a 1 3/4" nut these days?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM

I finally chose the D-18 after a couple of weeks of indecision. The D-28P and the new D-18 were both available on the wall at the same price at the shop, so I just basically played them each a lot and had the shop guy play them for me before deciding without a doubt that the D-18 was the one for me. It's a decision I haven't regretted.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM

I think the key (excuse the pun) for playing low tunings is heavier strings, at least mediums i.e 13s anyway. A wide range of guitars would work well for this purpose.

As you said you played both the 18 & the 28 extensively so you know already they're both fine instruments with slightly different flavours, keep playing more & you be the judge.

I'm using 13s (MSP4200) on my D28 & it's a good compromise for both standard tuning & lower ones (std D,double dropped D, open D or DADGAD). DADGAD in particular using bottom heavy chords produces wonderful overtones & harmonics, almost like a mild acoustic feedback. Candy to my ears anyway (don't know about anyone else's ).

A little tighter on the fretting fingers than I was previously used to back in standard E but I'm getting used to it.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostert View Post
For the tuning you mention, I would not recommend a Martin Dreadnought.

However, to address your question, D-18 if you want a more open, woody tone, D-28 if you want a sharper, ear-piercing tone that doesn't sound very pleasant.

The reality is the D-28 is not a particularly good guitar in my opinion and not value for money. It uses straight bracing which makes it sound choppy for strumming and tinny for flatpicking. The HD-28V with forward shifted scalloped bracing is far better, more resonant bass and sparkling trebles. However, also more expensive.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but my D-28 (and many others I've heard) don't have a sharp, ear-piercing tone and I think sound extremely pleasant! I also think they are a great value if you cherish a fine made instrument with a heritage second to none (I do)..

I have no problem with you having an opposing opinion- I like many other flavors as well (see signature)- but you make it sound like it's a fact...

It's not!

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM

D-18. (10-character-requirement-fulfilling parenthetical non sequitur)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjwphillips View Post
So could someone please offer me some advice on the differences I would find between the 18 and the 28 with regards to sound when tuned low, and how either would sound using a soundhole pick up such as a Seymour Duncan Woody etc.

Thank you for reading.
Harry
Hiya Harry !! I wish that I were good at playing in many alternate tunings, but alas I am not. However, I can give you a general description of how I feel about the difference in tones of a rw dread vs the same dread in hog.........

Mahogaby b/s guitars are midrange friendly. They produce a better "fundamental" note due to producing less harmonics.

Rosewood b/s guitars tend to produce more harmonics and produce more bass and treble.

One is not necessarily better than the other, it is simply a matter of taste. However, there are some advantages with both...... and it is nothing more than my personal opinion.........

For simply playing guitar and singing with it, you get more "oomph" out of the sound with rosewood.

If you are playing lead in a two guitar (or more) band, the hog guitar will "cut through" much better. We all have different opinions about just about everything guitar related in this site and I honestly think you can make wonderful sounding solos on a rosewood guitar in the studio, but trust me when I say this....... the mid-range hog will sound great in a live setting and the rw will sound mushy.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d18, d28, low, martin, tunings