The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Default Replacing old Fishman. Can use original Piezo?

Have a 90's Japanese Aria solid top. Has a factory Fishman which is not only electrically dead but plastic trim etc falling to bits so replacing with a Chinese Fishman Presys which by all accounts are pretty good.

The original Piezo pick up strip is wafer thin and as far as I know still in good condition and original to the guitar. It has the small jack on it to plug into the pre amp which most of them do. I would rather leave the original Piezo in as it is very thin and there will be no need for saddle adjustments etc. Is this ok? I believe under saddle Piezo strips are made differently now a days. Should it work the same with the modern preamp?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:17 AM

Probably. I have done the reverse of that ant took a 90's Fishman preamp and use a cheap Chinese piezo strip. I know that is a different scenerio but I don't recall the strip being all that different.

Only one way to find out.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Never mind. The new piezo was hardwired into the preamp so I just went with the stock one which as it turns out is fantastic. I'll certainly be keeping the old one though should I need a really low profile one in the future ie: shallow saddle slot.

The Chinese Fishman are superb by the way. I have had high end Takamine's and Yamaha's and this little pre amp would just about hold it's own. Very good reproduction and I only got the standard one. The blended mic and Piezo ones I imagine would be amazing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair