The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2019, 04:06 AM

Default Repair or De-humidify?

Hello friends,

I am from New Zealand and I got a Martin D18. This afternoon while playing it I noticed a tiny little gap on the corner of the bridge, I t first thought it was a dust but i slide down a paper and it went through

Here is the image:
http://imgur.com/gallery/s3kYDNB

Should i send it on the Luthier straight away or that gap is a tad acceptable still? Like maybe buy a 2-way humidification thing and see if the gap closes itself?

It is almost spring here in New Zealand and maybe humidification got the best out of my guitar.

Key notes;
I play the guitar whenever I want (regardless of RH)
No humidifier or dehumidifier in the case
Guitar string gauge is medium .13
Tuned at 1/2 step down (most of the time) to full step down (like a month ago)
Installed a Mitch Platemate
Old 09-07-2019, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Here you go...

Old 09-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

How high is the belly? How much has the string height changed? If you place a straight edge across just behind the bridge it should be about 1/16 per side. If it's higher you need to de-humidify right now.

To dry it out right away get a small paper lunch bag, fill it with uncooked, white rice, loosen the strings, put the bag inside and put it in the case. Check the guitar and check the rice every 8 or so hours. If the rice is wet, you have too much humidity.

It's a well made guitar. It should dry out and be just fine.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:43 AM

Uhmm i don't have a straight edge tool atm but I'll get tomorrow. In my observation the belly is tad high.

I haven't setup the guitar yet, it's like fresh from the factory setup up until this time.

I have loosen up the string already, tomorrow I'll buy the two way humidification product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
How high is the belly? How much has the string height changed? If you place a straight edge across just behind the bridge it should be about 1/16 per side. If it's higher you need to de-humidify right now.

To dry it out right away get a small paper lunch bag, fill it with uncooked, white rice, loosen the strings, put the bag inside and put it in the case. Check the guitar and check the rice every 8 or so hours. If the rice is wet, you have too much humidity.

It's a well made guitar. It should dry out and be just fine.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:10 AM

If you can, you may want to give it a thorough 'look-see': check all the inside bracing... If you don't feel fully up to the task, and know an honest tech or luthier, I'd bring it to them. It's too nice of a guitar, and you caught this pretty early it seems, to let small problems become big ones.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:46 AM

It doesn't strike me as a humidity issue so much as a glue/or lack thereof issue.

It won't hurt to have a luthier look at it.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:30 PM

That is not a problem at all. Martin doesn't glue all the way out to the corners of the bridge. Do nothing. Check it every now and then to see if the paper goes further.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Beautiful silking on that top.

+1 no need to do anything for that.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Well, I had that issue and I was aware that Martin leaves 1/8" or whatever it is unglued around the edge of the bridge, and then one day it pulled entirely off. And that was on a Martin OM-42 which is a fairly high end Martin. I think it was about 10 years old at the time.

So I'd keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't send it to the hospital just yet.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-07-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjane04 View Post
Should i send it on the Luthier straight away or that gap is a tad acceptable still? Like maybe buy a 2-way humidification thing and see if the gap closes itself?
A slight gap around the border is not an issue, but... which means ignore what i just said .. The paper you have under the corner has a significant shadow line from the bridge, which indicates quite a decent amount of lift at that corner.

Whilst i would not be too concerned, I would definetly have someone look at it if its still under warranty just to make sure the x brace underneath is solid and secure.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-07-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
A slight gap around the border is not an issue, but... which means ignore what i just said .. The paper you have under the corner has a significant shadow line from the bridge, which indicates quite a decent amount of lift at that corner.

Whilst i would not be too concerned, I would definetly have someone look at it if its still under warranty just to make sure the x brace underneath is solid and secure.

Steve
See how that shadow line continues across the guitar top from the paper? It is being cast by the top edge of the bridge wing. No lift indicated by it.

But sure, bring it in to an authorized Martin repair shop if you need assurance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair