The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

Congratulations! It's pretty easy to go downhill, but going uphill can be a real trial. It sounds like you've almost reached normal, I look forward to when you are able to ship out and scoot.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Glad to hear the good news, Jim. I have been following your increasingly positive reports on your blog. We knew you'd get there, but this surgery is an ordeal to be endured for the long term good of better mobility, not something done recreationally. My shoulder is improving too, but nowhere near 100% -- until maybe fall.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad to hear the good news, Jim. I have been following your increasingly positive reports on your blog. We knew you'd get there, but this surgery is an ordeal to be endured for the long term good of better mobility, not something done recreationally. My shoulder is improving too, but nowhere near 100% -- until maybe fall.
Recreationally? As in: for the fun of it?? Hey, do you want to go to a concert this weekend... or would you rather get a hip replacement?

On a fun scale of 1 to 10, this has been a MINUS 20.

I appreciate your private "what to expect" notes, Earl. They were helpful. My PT guy said, "Three months to 'heal,' 6 months to a year before you feel normal again."

I fooled him - I haven't been "normal" in a lot of years.

The mobility is increasing daily. I'm doing all the exercises, but my main plan is to "walk myself back to mobility."

Sending good vibes your way for that shoulder to heal. Probably too far into it for "fast," but hope you see "full." Take care, my friend.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Seems you are doing very well for only being 6 weeks in. I'm 4 months in and still having issues with the knee, I'm being told it can take a year, here's hoping for a continued fast recovery. It can't go fast enough, that's for sure.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Seems you are doing very well for only being 6 weeks in. I'm 4 months in and still having issues with the knee, I'm being told it can take a year, here's hoping for a continued fast recovery. It can't go fast enough, that's for sure.
Sending good vibes your way for the knee issues, John. I had knee surgery when I was a youngster (in my 20s), and I recall getting that leg to go straight again was grueling and took several months.

I appreciate the "not fast enough" feeling. Look back at where you were a couple months ago, and you can appreciate the improvement... even though the day-to-day changes seem to come slow. The thing for me has been having an additional distance with each day's walk, so I can really detail the difference. If the issue is bending and straightening your knee, it can be hard to tell the difference in a couple degrees. The PT guy put what looked like a big protractor along my leg so I could see when I was gaining another degree or two. The work will be worth it - hope the improvement comes faster for you.

Everybody's recovery is different. It takes however long it takes. During my first few weeks, when I was struggling to get from the living room to the bathroom with a walker, it seemed that everyone wanted to tell me how "their friend (uncle, brother, mailman) had exactly the same hip surgery and they were up walking, dancing, and running within a week." I wanted to whack 'em with my cane!

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 06-07-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
During my first few weeks, when I was struggling to get from the living room to the bathroom with a walker, it seemed that everyone wanted to tell me how "their friend (uncle, brother, mailman) had exactly the same hip surgery and they were up walking, dancing, and running within a week." I wanted to whack 'em with my cane!.
Eh yeah...it was constant ! I had to bite my lip a lot, but I did learn not to do that to others getting the surgeries. My PT guy made it clear that I am not one of the lucky ones. LOL I have good range, but still have a lot of pain. Oh and, I tried riding the scooter a couple weeks ago, it felt great, then I paid for it for 2 days. Takes more time I guess. Enough of THAT !!! Back to CF guitar discussions please.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday was a good day.

I have been working on the recuperation: I am now walking two miles a day (mostly with the cane), riding a bicycle, and have been taking the scoot on short rides. Well, the first scooter ride was like my first time driving: I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it (and by that, I mean: the Blonde), I just rolled it out and went for a short ride. I can't tell you how good that felt... for my physical and mental well-being.

I tend towards a wandering spirit, and was feeling like my summer was slipping away. Joan wanted to stay home, in case I had any "hip issues." A follow-up visit to the surgeon's office on Thursday, where his nurse practitioner was impressed with my progress, was helpful for my side of the "travel negotiations."

I made some reservations, and we are making plans for some RVing north in a few weeks. And, taking the scoots along (a major sticking point in the negotiations)... with assurance from me that we'll just do some easy day-trips on the bikes.

And, yes, making music on a daily basis. Because that is good for the soul. This morning, Joan asked, "So, which Emerald are you going to take with us when we head out?" (Not: which guitar?) Glad she is onboard with some traveling. I would really miss her.

I have a ways to go with my recuperation, but I can see "normal" (that is a relative term, not often used to describe me) on the horizon.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

It sounds like you are well on your way to the activities you love. I suspect it's mostly about attitude and yours is strongly positive. Enjoy.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:21 AM

I've been following your progress via your blog, Jim. It is always wonderful when you get that sense of finally turning the corner on the dark days right after the surgery. Enjoy....but carefully. You don't know that you've overdone something until it is already too late. Then ouch! The voice of experience here. As Alice tells me, "Don't me such a guy".

The shoulder is getting noticeably better almost daily now, but still not 100% yet. PT continues officially through July then I'll likely be on my own for further exercises.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have been working on the recuperation: I am now walking two miles a day (mostly with the cane), riding a bicycle, and have been taking the scoot on short rides. Well, the first scooter ride was like my first time driving: I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it (and by that, I mean: the Blonde), I just rolled it out and went for a short ride. I can't tell you how good that felt... for my physical and mental well-being.

I tend towards a wandering spirit, and was feeling like my summer was slipping away. Joan wanted to stay home, in case I had any "hip issues." A follow-up visit to the surgeon's office on Thursday, where his nurse practitioner was impressed with my progress, was helpful for my side of the "travel negotiations."

I made some reservations, and we are making plans for some RVing north in a few weeks. And, taking the scoots along (a major sticking point in the negotiations)... with assurance from me that we'll just do some easy day-trips on the bikes.

And, yes, making music on a daily basis. Because that is good for the soul. This morning, Joan asked, "So, which Emerald are you going to take with us when we head out?" (Not: which guitar?) Glad she is onboard with some traveling. I would really miss her.

I have a ways to go with my recuperation, but I can see "normal" (that is a relative term, not often used to describe me) on the horizon.
Glad to hear things are progressing....and love your comment about glad shes onboarding with traveling....lol...classic.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 06-29-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Glad to hear things are progressing....and love your comment about glad shes onboarding with traveling....lol...classic.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Easy to be a big talker when I know she doesn't read this forum!

I wouldn't be where i am without her by my side... and i am not talking about my recuperation.

Earl and Kramster have seen us together, they can vouch... I say, "Yes, Ma'am," a lot. Respect, not fear. I knew she could do better when we first met, but I won her over with my charm... and the the rock 'n roll stuff. Chicks dig the guitar player.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy to be a big talker when I know she doesn't read this forum!

I wouldn't be where i am without her by my side... and i am not talking about my recuperation.

Earl and Kramster have seen us together, they can vouch... I say, "Yes, Ma'am," a lot. Respect, not fear. I knew she could do better when we first met, but I won her over with my charm... and the the rock 'n roll stuff. Chicks dig the guitar player.
I also married up!! Good for us!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear you're doing well cap...hang in there.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 AM

2 things

https://wholetones.com
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wholetones

and

Walgreens carries TENS Units from $40 - $80 bucks.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pr...179-2000014877
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Recording some music with the Spire Studio. My friend and music partner Mark (in Arizona) did the electric piano and organ, yours truly (in south Texas) on guitar (Emerald X7), bass, hand percussion, and vocals...

I can't say that playing has done anything for the hip recuperation, but it is sure good for the soul.

If you're listening close, a double track with the X7: one acoustically with a condenser mic, the other plugged in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber