The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

I think you need to test a 30, along with the others, just to really check out the difference between the 7,10,20, and 30.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words folks. My wife and Rufus have been in the room with me while playing - but, since it has been barely 24 hours with the X10, no others. Joan likes the sound of the X20 best and I agree with her - Rufus said, "Sounds nice, Pops, is it time for supper, yet?"

All three were recorded while I was sitting in my comfy playing chair. The mics on the Zoom recorder were about 12" from the 12th fret and the soundhole. I have to say that I was less than happy with the lack of bass in the recording, but I set the levels manually, with no changes (only pressed the pause) between each guitar. The only reason I can think of why the X7 would sound so similar is that the projection is forward on that guitar, rather than up and forward on the other two. But, really, that X7 sounds better than it has a right to with its size.

I had been playing the X20 before going to free the X10 from the clutches of the Postal System. (It's a joke - I am grateful for our Postal System.) The X20 definitely sounds bigger and more full than the X10. Those D'Addario strings on the X10 are hard on my fingers and there is more squeek.

I may try recording something from a further distance one of these days. And, a comparison of the plugged in sounds. The X10 excels plugged in... BUT, I have to make adjustments at the PA for bass and treble (more bass, less treble, cut the volume) for the X10... with my other guitars, I have been able to leave the PA/amp alone and just make small adjustments at the guitar, if necessary.

All three nice guitars, but they each have their own sound.

I generally record from the PA - it is a bit foreign feeling to just sing "towards" a mic... and not have a little reverb to smooth things out.

I haven't used that Zoom since before we left this summer - it took me a while to remember how to even turn it on.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jim;

I think you need to test a 30, along with the others, just to really check out the difference between the 7,10,20, and 30.
That is an interesting thought, Evan. For my comfort, I think the X20 is as big as I would need. But, if you'd like to buy an X30 and ship it to me, I will certainly give it a good playing before sending it back to you. Because that is the kind of guy I am.

Of course, Kramster would be the go-to resource for comparing each of those... and could toss in the "vintage" X10 and an X5 and Amicus.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Of course, Kramster would be the go-to resource for comparing each of those... and could toss in the "vintage" X10 and an X5 and Amicus.

What X5??? Have none it seems
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Mr.K'

Well, what did you do with it? I'll bet you stashed it somewhere and forgot where you put it. What with a museum of CF instruments it's hard to keep an eye on all of them. They can wander off.

I've seen pictures of them, on snow covered mountains, all alone. How did they get there? Why are they headed for the high ground? Questions abound.

Keep looking, it's got to be somewhere.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Congratulations, Capt. Jim. Enjoy the guitar!
Barb
Old 10-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
What X5??? Have none it seems
My mistake - I saw SO many CF guitars there, I thought there was an X5 in the pile. I guess you could cut your new X10 in half and have TWO X5s!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Mr.K'

Well, what did you do with it? I'll bet you stashed it somewhere and forgot where you put it. What with a museum of CF instruments it's hard to keep an eye on all of them. They can wander off.

I've seen pictures of them, on snow covered mountains, all alone. How did they get there? Why are they headed for the high ground? Questions abound.

Keep looking, it's got to be somewhere.
Alas dear dear Unc-age .. Taint never owned one meself. ...as far I be a reconin'.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Guest 928

Yes, the memory goes first, or maybe second. Years ago, when Alistair joined you in Arizona, I seem to remember someone jumped into the pool with an X5.
Check the bottom of your pool.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I made a "sound check" of the 3 Emeralds, acoustically. Without headphones, there isn't a lot of difference. To my ear, when playing, there is a big difference.

Recorded with a Zoom H4n Pro, no adjustments, no corrections.

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/emerald-guitars-test

I think they all sound really good.
I like the X20 a tiny bit better.

A great song and very nicely executed.
Thank you for sharing.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 10-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I was not able to start my day out playing the X10... a dental appointment kept me from that. But, I am minus some "mouth meat" where a new base and impression has been done for a tooth implant (the screw was put in last year). In two weeks or so, I'll have the finished product installed.

This wasn't anywhere as tough as the removal of a broken tooth and roots that necessitated the implant.

I thought I might take a nap when we got home, but there was an Emerald X10 calling my name. I don't know if the D'Addario strings need to be "played in" or if I left enough fingertip skin on those strings in the past 48 hours to enlarge the tone, but I played the X10 acoustically this afternoon... something has changed and the guitar sounds even bigger and better.

I had a lot of fun yesterday with the X10 run into an electric amp with modeling. Joan ordered me a TRS Y-cable so I will be able to run an acoustic amp and an electric amp at the same time - should make for some even greater tone variety.

Two days in, and I am VERY impressed with the X10!

(that is not the pain med talking)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:49 PM

I am way late on the congrats, but congrats on the new guitar and the new teeth...!!! I would not mind giving the guitar a go, not the teeth, if you decide to stop by in March haha!!!! You can see the Lone star in person as well!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am way late on the congrats, but congrats on the new guitar and the new teeth...!!! I would not mind giving the guitar a go, not the teeth, if you decide to stop by in March haha!!!! You can see the Lone star in person as well!
Hi Tom,

Tooth, not teeth. It does have something in common with the X10: paid for before I get to see it.

Let's stay in touch about you getting some time with the X10.

Jim
Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

It has been a week with the new X10. Yes, still "the honeymoon" stage... I am SO enjoying this guitar! Before it arrived, I had some concerns about the 1 11/16" nut width... this neck feels like it was made for my hand!

I can tell right away if a guitar isn't for me. But, I find I have to spend some serious time with a guitar to know if it is a keeper. Yeah, this X10 is a delight.

The Level 2 pickups on this aren't just a "plug it in, adjust the volume and tone, and you're good to go" like my other acoustics - the two knobs control volume of the saddle pickup and the humbucking, with dark and mid-EQ adjustability on the piezo. Being able to switch to either pickup or a blend makes for a lot of tone differences. Add a TRS Y-cable, and you can run each pickup to a different amp. SO MANY tone options when plugged in. I am climbing this learning curve, and enjoying the process.

Today is Joan's birthday. She asked me to bring a guitar into the living room and just play for her. I didn't buy the X10 to be a "couch guitar," but it is fine for that, too.

It is rapidly becoming that "Goldilocks" guitar, earning its place with the X7 and X20.

-----

Edit: with the Y-cable run to the Bose S1 and to an electric modeling amp, the sound is like two guitars at once. Imagine your acoustic with a flanger and some chorus on the electric side and a nice rich acoustic sound through the PA. My wife is loving the sound! I am having fun.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:20 PM

The X10 sure is a fine playing critter... love it plugged in...and true the neck is great... haven’t done 2 amps at once yet... guess I am having too much fun putting together a video for the X7 and one for X30...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber