The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Late to the party and been away for a while, but the I have to comment on this one Mark. I'm a career graphic designer and fine artist and I was taken by the fluidity of line inlay and interplay/contrast of shape of the guitar body. I've not seen that before. Being a closet maple fan and my first 97 Taylor jumbo had the extremely atypical quilted maple, this guitar just captivated me. Another compliment of wow!! I want one
Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
I want one
Then BUY IT!!!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-14-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Then BUY IT!!!

Chris
"but dear I can explain ...Chris said buy it so I HAD to.. It was practically a triple dog dare!"
-signed middle age guy married 31 years in midlife crisis at divorce lawyer office.

Realistically I'd love love love try a Hatcher and explore tone fitment someday ...really goes for any custom guitar. I'm also in Iowa. I've only had the rare privilege to play an Olson and a Petros customs in my limited experience. Killer though. Impulse buys are less so for me these days.

Still... Your point haunts
Doug
Old 05-14-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
"but dear I can explain ...Chris said buy it so I HAD to.. It was practically a triple dog dare!"
-signed middle age guy married 31 years in midlife crisis at divorce lawyer office.

Realistically I'd love love love try a Hatcher and explore tone fitment someday ...really goes for any custom guitar. I'm also in Iowa. I've only had the rare privilege to play an Olson and a Petros customs in my limited experience. Killer though. Impulse buys are less so for me these days.

Still... Your point haunts
Doug
Yes, the caveat, everyone had their own likes and dislikes with tone...however, having touched and played 4 Hatchers, it would be unfathomable to me that there would be anyone unhappy with the tone. Just sayin....call the lawyer and be proactive
Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 AM

He committed a breach of etiquette skipping the "double-dog dare" and hitting the triple-dog dare but _ F it - buy the guitar and keep your tongue off frozen flag poles!

Chris (yes THAT one)

The Acoustics

Old 05-14-2016, 10:49 AM

You guys remind why I've called the forum home for 15 years. Thanks for enabling and smiles from afar. Love this community of like minded players and enthusiasts! As it's been said before by many I never get tired of those Hatcher build works of art. I can only imagine his tone follows beauty of form.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the support and kind words fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Beauty....what is the overall weight going to be like compared to rosewood?
The Ebony does add a noticeable amount of weight simply because it is heavier.
however Ebony is so stiff It allows me to mitigate that weight some with a thinner backplate. That lightens it up some and increases the base response.
Having heavier sides doesn't hurt anything, some would argue it's helpful for tone.

Quote:
Late to the party and been away for a while, but the I have to comment on this one Mark. I'm a career graphic designer and fine artist and I was taken by the fluidity of line inlay and interplay/contrast of shape of the guitar body. I've not seen that before. Being a closet maple fan and my first 97 Taylor jumbo had the extremely atypical quilted maple, this guitar just captivated me. Another compliment of wow!! I want one
Thanks DMZ!

I'm glad my design efforts are evident and appreciated. That quilted maple just begs for attention and I thought I'd just go with it and see what elements I could use to point at it. Even the choice of which model was a consideration.

Thanks Again,
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Somebody PLEASE buy this maple. I'm already WAY over my skies.

The Acoustics

Old 05-19-2016, 02:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Small Jumbo Quilted Maple Show Spec all strung up

I have the Josie quilted maple guitar all strung up. I'm very happy with it's sound and playability and will try to get sound clips up on it in the next week or so. This is the third in my show spec series.

The top on this is a bear claw and quilted Sitka. It glistens in the light but is a devil to catch with a camera. I trying my best to show this in some of these shots;

It's not too hard to catch the figure on the back;

The bridge and fret board are Cocobolo;

The rosette is a bunch of mahogany, black and white wood purfling lines with spalted Tamarind in the middle;

I went with Snakewood bridge pins and bone saddle;

The neck is bound in Cocobolo with MOP side markers and a black purfling line against the Sugar Maple neck;

The headstock has three different kinds of maple. It has a quilted Western Big Leaf Maple overlay, Hard Maple core, and a maple burl back strap;

I get to play this one for a week or so while it learns it's new guitar identity then I'll put up for sale or save it for a show, whichever comes first.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-19-2016, 04:06 PM

Mark,... STUNNING! Paul has has nothing on you for finding sexy Maple. - Larry!

Chris

The Acoustics

Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 PM

Wow Mark! What a transformation from when that wood came off the blade! You did an great job choosing the right appointments to accent a stunning set of maple. I am sure it sounds just as good as it looks.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Mark,... STUNNING! Paul has has nothing on you for finding sexy Maple. - Larry!
Chris
Thanks. I felt lucky to come across this particular wood. I have two additional sister sets and am looking forward to working with this wood again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ensor View Post
Wow Mark! What a transformation from when that wood came off the blade! You did an great job choosing the right appointments to accent a stunning set of maple. I am sure it sounds just as good as it looks.
Thanks Chris,

I was fun trying to design to the figure of the wood and I feel it worked out well too. I'm glad I sent the billets to you for resaw because I'm pretty sure you got more slices then I would have!

Mark

Old 05-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

The look of this guitar is just mesmerizing!! I keep finding new details within the whole. Mark, it's really amazing workmanship.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM

Almost too pretty to play! Beautiful work Mark.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
The look of this guitar is just mesmerizing!! I keep finding new details within the whole. Mark, it's really amazing workmanship.
Thanks Mike!

It was a fun build. I had Charlie Chronopolous over to record some sound clips today. Unfortunately, my next door neighbor had someone over to mow his lawn at the same time. In any case, I got to step away from the guitar while he played and am very happy with what I was hearing! We'll try the recording again next week.

In case you are wondering why I am asking Charlie to do recordings for me here is a You Tube he recently put out that I just can't get enough of;

Now if that only was a Hatcher he was playing (we're working on that)

Mark

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 05-20-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop