The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-18-2022, 07:44 AM

Question Low budget pc interfarce for direct occasionally recording

Hello from Italy .
After new purchase of an acoustic guitar Epiphone EL-pro I need an low budget usb interface to occasionally recording with direct connection without add micro.
Now guitar has Sonitone Fishman piezo,but I’m thinking to change with a magmatic sound hole pick-up like gold foil ( Recording king or similar).
I’m looking to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 .
Do you have some experience to directly connect piezo or magnetic pick-up and record with this interface ? Have you ever used other always directly connected?
Thanks
Old 05-18-2022, 03:38 PM

For recording a reasonably natural sound on acoustic guitar without an external microphone the iRig Acoustic Stage works well. It's a tiny microphone, but it clips on the edge of your soundhole.

There's a small pre-amp pack that will allow you to use a regular 1/4 inch guitar jack cable to connect to your Scarlett.

It is a microphone so it's not totally immune to picking up external noises, but it's good working in small untreated rooms compared to conventional external mics. Because it's a mic in the soundhole area it will pickup more picking noise. Some users worry about the thin cable that connects the clip in with the preamp -- but mine's been good so far.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-18-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
That's what I've got. Works fine. I run my synth through it and you can run your guitar through it direct. Guys will mention that's not ideal, but it does work.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-18-2022, 07:16 PM

I now see I read too quickly, and you're looking for an interface not a pickup to work with an existing interface.

I've used the small Scarlett interfaces, and I think they're good value for the money.

The iRig Acoustic Stage can also be used as an USB interface for itself. I've never actually used this feature, but if you only want to record a single acoustic guitar track, it could do that.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-18-2022, 11:24 PM

Thanks
I need an audio interface to record one guitar, voice or line but one at time.
My doubt is about quality of for hi-Z input.
Now guitar has a piezo pick-up Fishman Sonitone but
I would want to mount a magnetic soundhole pick-up like gold foil . Example Victory pick-up or Recording king.
I have many difficulties to found this pick-up,can you help me?
Old 05-19-2022, 10:17 AM

If you like the sound of a magnetic pickup then the Focusrite will be fine. If you're seeking to achieve a natural guitar sound the iRig mic suggested above will be much better.

If the Sonitone already has a preamp, which I believe it does, then you don't have to worry about impedance.

You could record the Sonitone via the Focusrite and process it using an impulse response in a convolution reverb plugin which, when it works well, is a great improvement.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
Hello from Italy .
After new purchase of an acoustic guitar Epiphone EL-pro I need an low budget usb interface to occasionally recording with direct connection without add micro.
Now guitar has Sonitone Fishman piezo,but I’m thinking to change with a magmatic sound hole pick-up like gold foil ( Recording king or similar).
Do you have some experience to directly connect piezo or magnetic pick-up and record with this interface ? Have you ever used other always directly connected?
Thanks
You might consider a Zoom R8. A pair of headphones and you can record anywhere you want to, unless you need to use a dedicated interface and computer.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:56 AM

Next day I try to record with piezo though Helix lt, but probably I’ll sell Helix lt that is exaggerate for me . I play alone at home and can use Helix Native plugin and audio interface like Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Piezo direct to Focusrite 2i2 is good ?
Old 05-19-2022, 03:05 PM

It may not sound very pleasant, depending on your playing style, but the raw recording can be processed very effectively.

Do you have a strong idea of the sound you are hoping for?
Old 05-19-2022, 03:08 PM

I only have a single guitar with a piezo pickup, and I can't recall if I ever plugged it in directly to a small Focusrite with the input set to instrument -- but I'd assume it'd work, in that you'd get signal and could make a recording. The main issue is at piezo pickups have a thinner and characteristic sound which many seek to avoid.

Of course tastes and goals vary, but I thought I mention that.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your observation
Old 05-20-2022, 05:25 AM

I just use a mixer with an audio interface...
Like a Mackie PROFX6v3 before that, I used a Plye 6 channel mixer it was like $65
I just like the flexibility to be able to record to my computer or into an Amp or both at the same time... Just more flexibility

This isn't a professional setup but it gets the job with equipment that can be used for live performance or Dj or ???
Old 05-20-2022, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

With a piezo you might have better luck going through an input designed for that first, before going into the audio interface.

Besides the usual suspects, like a Baggs Para, et al., some folks have reasonable results by going through either a piezo DI (like Radial's StageBug), which would *not* use the hi-Z input, but go to a balanced XLR in, or using a buffered tuner (e.g. TC Electronics Polytune 3 or Boss TU-3), though, all of these things depend a great deal on what your are wanting to hear! These "gizmos" would still take an unbalanced signal to the hi-Z/DI/Inst input of your interface.

A mag pickup will probably match up better to the DI (aka "INST") input on most interfaces.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:07 AM

I have solved this problem buying a second hand Line6 Hx Stomp for a good price like new condition.
I’ll also use it for effects.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

If you plan to record vocals, you need a mic. Why not use the same mic for the guitar?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD