The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Apple M2 perhaps sooner than later

So the rumor about Apple's new M2 chip has been reconfirmed and we may see a couple M2 machines as soon as the June event ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-12-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

The two he's predicting we see this year are the Air and the Mac Pro. Like the Mac Mini, the Air currently tops out at 16gb RAM. Unless those bump up to 32gb, I can't see myself buying either. The Mac Pro is what I'm most curious about. If they come out with a smaller and more reasonably priced version that is user-upgradable, that might be something I'd consider but even after seeing this, the Mac Studio still looks the right choice for me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So the rumor about Apple's new M2 chip has been reconfirmed and we may see a couple M2 machines as soon as the June event ???
Thanks Kev! I'm following this subject with interest. In January I installed a 10 core CPU in my 2013 Mac Pro but I'm still limited by Thunderbolt 2 speeds. I'm looking forward to a new computer not too far down the road. I hope the M2 runs cooler so that Apple can build a quiet version of the new Mac Studio.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Never has my head spun around & around in confusion------As I await my final decision on which new Mac to buy when the announcements in June are made.

Will I later be sorry if I buy a Mac Studio with MAX chip...sorry that I did not wait until the M2 is in more units?

And if per se, the M2 is released in June..and I am able to get it in something like the Mac Studio...or Mini....with the new M2
?? I still may not know if that M2 chip will be as compatible with the music, symphonic programs...as the M1 is becoming???? OR will I have to wait again...for music programmers to once again update their programs to work with the M2?????

UGGG! Decisions!
ha ha...Luckily....I still have a few months to wait. Hopefully all will be revealed.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
And if per se, the M2 is released in June..and I am able to get it in something like the Mac Studio...or Mini....with the new M2
?? I still may not know if that M2 chip will be as compatible with the music, symphonic programs...as the M1 is becoming???? OR will I have to wait again...for music programmers to once again update their programs to work with the M2?????
If your apps work with M1 they should work with M2. M2 will essentially just be a faster M1, it’s not like moving an app from Intel CPU to M1 CPU where the app has to be ported to a totally different CPU architecture
Old 05-14-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Never has my head spun around & around in confusion------As I await my final decision on which new Mac to buy when the announcements in June are made.

Will I later be sorry if I buy a Mac Studio with MAX chip...sorry that I did not wait until the M2 is in more units?

UGGG! Decisions!
ha ha...Luckily....I still have a few months to wait. Hopefully all will be revealed.
Well as "bleeding" noted there is no reason to think that M2 would not work exactly like M1 as far as compatibility with software .. It's the same ARM architecture with simply more and or faster cores .. It was/is the initial switch to Apple's ARM chips, from Intel chips, that caused the issues with new code...

As far as June ? ,, hard to know exactly,,, given Apples penchant for trying to "SURPRISE" the market
So Far the rumor is a new M2 MacBook Air and a New Mac Pro... A new Mini is suspected but not in June (but one never knows).
So the question is will we see a new M2 version of the M1 Pro - M1 Max and or M1 Ultra chips for the new Mac Pro ??
And the next logical question will the new M2 chips then become available in the Studio models as well or will that be something more for in 2023 + ?

The reality is of course you can not out pace or out guess new development. But as far as "be sorry with Mac Studio with MAX chip" IMO unless you are running really large sessions 100's of tracks with lots of VI's or doing high rez. Video,, I can't see how an M1 Max chip machine would not take you years into the future .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-07-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

As predicted. A new M2 Macbook Air and a new 13 inch M2 Macbook Pro But no Mini and no Mac Pro... so no surprises there
The Performance spec's of the M2 chip is as good or slightly better than predicted.
Which makes either of these MacBooks quite workable for audio and even video production for many home users or as a mobile unit

One surprise is up to 24 GB memory on either machine although at $400 does push both machines closer price wise to the base 14" inch MacBook Pro

Another surprise is the Air now gets a Mag safe charger port Yet the 13" MBP does not ???

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-07-2022, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I was looking at those this morning and something struck me as a bit odd. I can configure a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro the same way and it comes to the same price. There's very little difference between the two computers.

Configure a MacBook Air this way, and it's $2499
13” MacBook Air M2 with 8-core CPU, 10-core GPU 2, 24gb RAM, and 2TB SSD

Configure a MacBook Pro the same way and it's also $2499
13” MacBook Pro M2, 8-core CPU 10-core GPU, 24gb RAM. and 2TB SSD

The differences between the two computers...
MacBook Air has:
13.6” Liquid Retina Display
18 hour battery life
1080p FaceTime HD Camera
Three mic array
Four speaker system with Spatial Audio

MacBook Pro has:
13.3” Retina Display
20 hour battery life
720p FaceTime HD Camera
Studio-quality three mic array
Stereo speakers with Spatial Audio
Touch Bar

There used to be a fair amount of distinction between the Air and Pro lineup which is why I'm scratching my head about this.

YouTube
Old 06-07-2022, 06:43 PM

These feel like transitional products. The M2 is better than an M1, but not quite an M1 Pro or Max.

It’s times like these that the loss of Steve Jobs is very evident. They have lost the vision for the products.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-07-2022, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
It’s times like these that the loss of Steve Jobs is very evident. They have lost the vision for the products.
That was certainly true for a while but I'm not sure I can agree with that today. The M1 was an amazing step forward in computing power and with the Mac Studio, Apple is once again offering a computer for the home creator at a price point that's within reach for most of us. I was unhappy about being pushed into iMac land in 2017 when my cheese grater started showing signs that it wasn't long for this world ...but that was the only option in the line-up that made sense for me. The line between the Air and the MacBook Pro is a bit blurry but, overall, I think Apple is moving in a very good direction right now.

The only complaint I can muster about the Mac Studio is the inability to add RAM after purchase. My 27" iMac allows for that but at the time of purchase I had two other complaints, both of which added to the overall cost of the move from cheese grater to iMac:
1. PCIe cards were part of my system then and I had to move on from those.
2. There was no way to add additional internal storage.

Those two complaints are in the past now. I no longer need PCIe slots and the iMac forced me to use ssd drives via a separate housing so that adjustment has been made too. The only complaint I can have now about the Mac Studio would be the inability to upgrade the RAM but the base models for both Mac Studios come with enough ram that it's likely a non-issue. And I suppose it would be nice to be able to choose the OS you prefer when purchasing but if rolling back is doable on the Ventura machines, that's not a big deal.

YouTube
Old 06-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

opps double

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-08-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I was looking at those this morning and something struck me as a bit odd. I can configure a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro the same way and it comes to the same price. There's very little difference between the two computers.

There used to be a fair amount of distinction between the Air and Pro lineup which is why I'm scratching my head about this.
Yes and kinda strange but these either of these 13 inch does not seem, to me to be a targeted 'Pro" machine. More Pro -sumer at best.. I am guessing Apple may just figure both of these are more for just the average consumer who maybe dabbles with a bit of audio and or video at times ?? But by the time you spec them up you are close to the 14" MBP base with some upgrades witch has more connection options (pro oriented) ?????????

Quick update the one bright spot is that apparently these new M2 do have a better single core performance an apparently can match the M1 Max for single core
So if and when we start seeing the predicted M2 Pro, M2 Max and M2 Ultra chip versions we should see a pretty good jump in single core as well as multi core performance

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-08-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Mistake in posting. Deleted.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-08-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
If you can monitor in mono then perhaps it might help you to mix in mono first and then do your panning. When you listen in mono it's easier to get the relative levels and the tonal balance right.
Al,

I suspect you wanted your post in the other thread titled 'How to mix this?'.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Al,

I suspect you wanted your post in the other thread titled 'How to mix this?'.
Yes I did intend that. Apologies. Thanks for bringing the error to my attention.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD