The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Default Basic Mic / Recording Options for Live Room Recording

Ok, starting this thread by saying when it comes to music tech - I'm a luddite. I like acoustic guitars, I begrudgingly have one electric and an amp - no effects, no rigs, etc. I like the sound of acoustic instruments and voice.

When I play on my own or with a small group in my living room or similar sized room, I'd like to get some better sound quality recordings than the mic on my iPhone - I know, super high bar here right? Can anyone recommend a mic or set up that I can setup in a room to record guitar, voice and occasionally some other acoustic instruments? Again, not looking for a pro set up here, just something that will pick up the sound decently and allow me to save the files on an iOS or Mac OS device.

If I'm not providing the right info or simplifying this too much, please let me know. I'm a super newb with this stuff.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath View Post
Ok, starting this thread by saying when it comes to music tech - I'm a luddite. I like acoustic guitars, I begrudgingly have one electric and an amp - no effects, no rigs, etc. I like the sound of acoustic instruments and voice.

When I play on my own or with a small group in my living room or similar sized room, I'd like to get some better sound quality recordings than the mic on my iPhone - I know, super high bar here right? Can anyone recommend a mic or set up that I can setup in a room to record guitar, voice and occasionally some other acoustic instruments? Again, not looking for a pro set up here, just something that will pick up the sound decently and allow me to save the files on an iOS or Mac OS device.

If I'm not providing the right info or simplifying this too much, please let me know. I'm a super newb with this stuff.
You might want to consider a small recorder like the Tascam DR-05. You can position it on the edge of a chair or table for basic recording, but it will also easily attach to a inexpensive camera tripod. This gets you into the recording process for around $100.

That gets the job of basic recording done, and you can progress upward as much as your technical ability and wallet will tolerate.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:25 PM

Lots of options - if you are only after voice recording, something like an IK Multimedia iRig Mic might work, it'll give you better quality than the built-in mic. The other option is to get a basic 2-input audio interface, something like a Focusrite 2i2 (there are many other brands out there) and an SM57 (or other comparable mic) - this will give you more options, also allow for electric guitar recording into the interface with some amp emulation software. Many youtube videos available.

BTW - that's what I use, Focusrite 4i4 and SM57, works on iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac.... super portable, and not too expensive...
Old 04-22-2022, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Zoom makes a few portable recorders. I have an H5. It has built in mics and two XLR inputs for external mics. It saves the recordings to a SD card and you transfer the recordings to your computer via usb cable where you can rename and organize them.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-23-2022, 08:37 AM

Like others have said, consider a handheld recorder. Either Zoom or Tascam.
You Tube has videos that show the different capabilities and options.
Find what works best for you and price range.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Another route is a USB microphone and a laptop with GarageBand or other freebee software. Simple, but gives you the option to up the game if/when you want.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-28-2022, 05:48 AM

I use a Condenser Mic into a Mixer with a USB interface into my computer, the mixer can also feed into powered speakers or amp if I want to amplify my music
A condenser is a lot more sensitive/hot so it's easier to place it farther away like if your mic'ing more than one person

All my recordings are done this way..
18in to 24in away and placing it so the guitar doesn't overpower the vocals, this could mean pointing more at my head than chest

I'm a novice, at this...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD