The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
This should be a sticky in this subforum!

Thank you! I just summarize all the hard work of others. You know… research. Lol

I guess I should add for my own circumstances :

If you happen to have one on your bench and you have a gig with a brand new guitar missing a pickup, and you’re desperate, try a Lyric. [emoji23]
Old 12-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Thanks Ken,

Looks like the Epoxy really brought something. I wonder how Maury get similar results just using the red tape while we simple human can not even following the instruction.

I would had to Dave post:

You want the a Passive SBT dual source with Crossover circuitry like anthem: DIY
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-05-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Ken,

Looks like the Epoxy really brought something. I wonder how Maury get similar results just using the red tape while we simple human can not even following the instruction.

You want the a Passive SBT dual source with Crossover circuitry like anthem: DIY

Amen Cuki! But that’s for an audience of one. You!
Old 12-05-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Ken,

Cuki, can you find one of Maury's demos and paste it to this thread next to my new demo? It would be great to compare them! I've always felt and publicly stated so that the weak link in a Trance installation is the tone that the permanent tape imparts to the signal. It's like the tape imparts thinness and lack of depth to the amplified tone. In my demo, for the first time ever, I hear a Trance system with K&K-like depth and transparency of tone with the clarity and EQ balance that Trance systems are known for. I get this even without any additional EQing of the signal. I now finally understand why Trance systems are used by many top pros.

With the epoxy, it's just so easy to locate the Amulets without worrying about nailing the location as you have to do with the permanent tape otherwise you have to remove the Amulet, remove the old tape and put new tape on and repeat the procedure hoping you nail the location this time around or else repeat the whole process once again. Installing the Amulets with epoxy is no longer what seemed like an esoteric process where you have to stand on your head on the night of a blue moon all the while hoping your hand is steady as you near the moment of truth when an Amulet meets the bridgeplate.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-06-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Next weekend, I'll do a direct-recorded demo of my Larrivee D-40R with its recently-installed Dazzo #70 Set. I may also do another recording of the Larrivee C-03 TE/Trance Amulet M Phantom combination that features better playing than I did on the first one.

Then there's also my Adamas 2087GT-8 that I've never recorded, and the Taylor 717e Builder's Edition V-Class. I could stay busy for quite a while making demos!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-05-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all our questions before we ask them. I think I’m convinced.

Here’s my take:

Both the amulets and the Dazzo appear to use the same principle of suspending the piezo in a 3D shape. However, Gary’s preamp is a thing of beauty. And does not weight the top down like the internal Sunn Audio design. Therefore, you have demonstrated that you can buy Gary’s system and install with the ease of Teddy’s system. I think the choice then becomes:
I would be shocked if the Sunnaudio internal preamp dampens the top of the guitar. It's insanely light. It's about the same as putting the Lyric on the bridgeplate. If there's a change, it's so small that no one would notice it.

Sprucetop, your tone here is definitely better than the Amulet/tape install. I still hear that characteristic Amulet/piezo tone that bothers me a bit, but it's a big improvement. I am just far too worried about trying this install method as I didn't love the Amulet tone I had with the tape.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I would be shocked if the Sunnaudio internal preamp dampens the top of the guitar. It's insanely light. It's about the same as putting the Lyric on the bridgeplate. If there's a change, it's so small that no one would notice it.

Sprucetop, your tone here is definitely better than the Amulet/tape install. I still hear that characteristic Amulet/piezo tone that bothers me a bit, but it's a big improvement. I am just far too worried about trying this install method as I didn't love the Amulet tone I had with the tape.

I had one. Maybe it was an early one? It was heavy and awkward. Didn’t even fit with forward shifted bracing.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I had one. Maybe it was an early one? It was heavy and awkward. Didn’t even fit with forward shifted bracing.
Oh yeah, that sounds different. Admittedly, mine is the LD-1 which is just the volume control. It's very small. The larger one with the volume, treble and bass is larger, but much smaller than something like the Anthem control module.

I am trying to settle on something that I can use moving forward and that will allow me to avoid the pickup debate. I have spent far too much time experimenting and admittedly, some of my best tones came from systems that I ripped out. The best tone I ever got was with a Fishman Matrix and Aura Spectrum DI combination. I had another musician play my guitar and when I went out front, my tone was incredible. The problem is, it seemed like every show, that system would sound different. The PA and mixer being used have such a huge impact on the tone, as does a sound tech.

I am down to a few different options. One, I keep the Seymour Duncan Wavelength in my guitar and pair it with the TD, Voiceprint or Aura. This option is simple, feedback resistant and since this guitar has two jacks, I could install a SBT in the other jack for when I just want to plug in and have a fairly natural tone.

Two, I install the Anthem and really get to know the system. Try to make it work for me. I had such good luck with the Lyric, minus the missing bass, that I wouldn't mind giving this system a try again.

Lastly, I put in the Dazzo or K&K and pair it with a TD, Aura or Voiceprint. Similar to option one, but without a UST under the saddle.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:13 PM

Auras?

We still seem to be going round in the same circles...I have had all the stuff, and....

Toodle on down to the shop and buy a Maton with the AP5-pro pickup system - it is on all their pickup models so you can just buy the low range model like my Maton EBW808 (00 size) and it has the same pickup as the expensive models!

Here is a track I did yesterday with my EBW808 all blackwood plugged direct to my mixer! Record. Why, oh why did I not buy this years ago?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=633590

BluesKing777.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Auras?

We still seem to be going round in the same circles...I have had all the stuff, and....

Toodle on down to the shop and buy a Maton with the AP5-pro pickup system - it is on all their pickup models so you can just buy the low range model like my Maton EBW808 (00 size) and it has the same pickup as the expensive models!

Here is a track I did yesterday with my EBW808 all blackwood plugged direct to my mixer! Record. Why, oh why did I not buy this years ago?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=633590

BluesKing777.
I have often thought about getting a Takamine or Maton just for the pickup. However, it always comes down to not wanting to buy a stage guitar. I just can’t justify spending that kind of money on something that I only use live. I know some will argue that they sound good unplugged, but they are not cheap so if I am dropping that kind of money, it’s going to a Boucher or Martin etc.

I will say this though, I know a couple local musicians who perform live. They don’t know much about guitars. Kind of fit into that crowd that think a $1000 Taylor is the same as a $4000 Taylor. I know I am sounding stuck up, but not trying to! Anyway, one has a Takamine and the other has a Taylor 200 series with the ES2. They have great live sound just because they bought those guitars with excellent pickups. I don’t think they realized what they were getting, they just knew the brands. Then there’s me struggling to get a good tone live.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I have bought all the stuff recommended in these pages over the years.....funny but nobody mentioned K&K Trinity, my next best system, soundwise and installed in a few of my higher end guitars, including my Lowden S35 and my Cargill custom 00, my EC. I love it but there is so much stuff...sep preamp, stereo cable, DI needed, mixer.

Matons, made with a whole range of wood, pickup sensational, plug in anywhere anytime, turn all the knobs on full , set the controls for the heart of the sun....

I have 4 Maton model 808s now!

What is the saying? Don’t go on after the Maton player!

So don't back yourself in to a corner, give one a go. My EBW808 is lowish price while my Messiah 808 is top factory build - same pickup and once it is plugged, well.....cheapie get the gig!

BluesKing777.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

I think you should keep this one acoustic…
Old 12-10-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I think you should keep this one acoustic…

Haha!

Absolutely fine for locking yourself in your music room.....

But I can testify that even with my Dobro mic’d through a small PA at a bar, I could hear NOTHING one night when the Better Half and her friend were talking loudly seated just.......there......aye yii yiiiii.

People are louder than acoustics!

BluesKing777.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:10 PM

Default New Guitar - what say you pickup people?

BluesKing, there’s no doubting the great tone you get from those matons! You’ve got the chops too.

So far I’ve done a few events with the Lyric mic in the new guitar. I KNOW I am playing with fire base on previous experience, so I’m just waiting for the moment when I plug it in and it sounds awful. So far, however, it’s just been a pleasant experience.

Aaron, I would keep this one acoustic, but it’s the one I reach for now, so it needs some kind of pickup. I think my gig days are over (or way ahead of me) given the changes in my life the last few years. So, I just need the basics for occasional plug in. Most of my music making is acoustic or around a mic.

Last edited by martingitdave; 12-12-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer7 View Post
I LOVE my Aura-equipped Martin, but it sounds great because it came with a factory-installed Aura system loaded with images of that specific guitar.

The same Aura technology doesn't work nearly as well when you're trying to find an Aura image that suits your guitar, but wasn't actually made for your exact guitar model and pickup combination. I found this out the hard way when I bought an Aura DI to try and get the same magic from my other acoustics and never came close.
Gotta agree. The DI not near as usable as the Aura Pro in my Gibson J-185, Aura F1 in my GPCPA1 or the Aura VT in my OM-28e.

For ease of use. The Aura VT is about as plug and play as it gets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification