The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-26-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Very similar. The recording volume level a little different on the two sets of mikes and when I made the volume level equal on both pairs mikes the sound was even closer, especially on the fingerpicking stuff.
Agree. If I were to choose for my own recording, I would choose the Austrian Audio. Thought they sounded great.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Very similar. The recording volume level a little different on the two sets of mikes and when I made the volume level equal on both pairs mikes the sound was even closer, especially on the fingerpicking stuff.
Yes, I agree. The mics are very similar sounding. Which says a lot for the quality of the Austrian Audio mics at significantly lower cost. I would guess that if the guitar pieces were recorded just with the Austrian Audio CC8 mics that we'd pretty much agree that the sound was excellent.

Interesting that you we able to make adjustments for the relative record volumes. Fascinating observation.

- Glenn
Old 04-27-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, I agree. The mics are very similar sounding. Which says a lot for the quality of the Austrian Audio mics at significantly lower cost. I would guess that if the guitar pieces were recorded just with the Austrian Audio CC8 mics that we'd pretty much agree that the sound was excellent.

Interesting that you we able to make adjustments for the relative record volumes. Fascinating observation.

- Glenn
I agree and agin I think an actual Blind A/B with random order would be very interesting if not also fairly revealing ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-08-2022, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the comparison. I was surprised how large the difference was and I also did not like the CC8 here that much. It was o.k. but I would have very much preferred the Schoeps. I wonder how much of that might be related to the mic position? It seems you did not record in the same position, right? This alone will have an influence, which must not be underestimated, on the recordings sounding different! To which degree I am not sure from what one can see in the video.

The CC8 has possibly more bass for a similar recording distance compared to other SDC's? In any way, in the comparison here:

https://www.amazona.de/test-austrian...satormikrofon/

In the Amazona test I found the differences not that large between both mics and actually liked the CC8 a bit better, because it sounded fuller (on guitar) and to my ears more natural as well. If I would shell out that amount of money I would likely buy the Sennheisers 8040 over the Schoeps MK4 capsule.

I own a pair of CC8 and am very satisfied in real word usage (guitar and vocals). Preferred over SE8 and C391B I also had, where the latter was also fine, while the SE8 sounded good, but was way too noisy (the SE8 specs are far from realistic, about 7dB "too good" compared to what they really deliver).

Overall I think that in this comparison the difference is not alone from the mics and although interesting in it's on way, not that helpful what is the better mic (likely the Schoeps a bit, because it's flatter and very even in the different directions) or which mic one would prefer (which can be both!)

Last edited by rpnfan; 05-08-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnfan View Post
Thanks for the comparison. I was surprised how large the difference was and I also did not like the CC8 here that much. It was o.k. but I would have very much preferred the Schoeps. I wonder how much of that might be related to the mic position? It seems you did not record in the same position, right? This alone will have an influence, which must not be underestimated, on the recordings sounding different! To which degree I am not sure from what one can see in the video.
Hi,
thanks a lot for listening and commenting.

I recorded in a wide A/B configuration, the mic capsules of the A-pair (Schoeps / CC18) and the B-pair (Schoeps / CC18) as close as possible. So there might be some differences related to the mic position, but only to a minimum degree. And simply there is no way to avoid that.

To my ear I prefer the Schoeps but I'm amazed how good the CC18 sound compared to what is considered by many is the best mic available for that application. If I would be in the market for a fine sounding mic at an affordable price (yes, this is pretty subjective) I'll put these CC18 on my short list.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD