The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Is An Unamped Acoustic Alvarez AD-70 Worth It?

I wanted to Alvarez ad 70, but the store claimed the computer said, they had one last one in stockroom but didn't after checking. It was at a sale price of about $400. They just had the display that had a crack in the lacquer. The salesmen tried to sell me that one without even a discount for being slightly used and slightly damaged.

Alvarez discontinued the model, and I began to focus more on my old time banjo playin always. A month later he sends me an email, and says he found the last one after they counted their inventory, but he can't hold it, if I want it.

Would a store try to sell a display as new? They were trying to sell me a guitar pretty hard when I was there, but I'm not sure they would go that far.

Also, he said he had a hard time selling off he AD70s, because everyone wants an acoustic-electric cutaway nowadays. I don't like the asymmetrical look of the cutaway and I don't do fancy finger pickin high up the neck.

Also, I also don't like the idea of a "cyborg" acoustic. Just the idea of wires and electronics inside my acoustic guitar seems to defeat the purpose. Why not just get a full electric, or just get a computer, and push a button for music? But we can't ignore progress forever, so are pure acoustics still worth it in this age of electronics? Is that a reason not to buy a full acoustic?

Lastly, having given up on ever getting an AD70, I figured I'd eventually get a full solid Guild d40 after saving for a few years. I"m an intermediate player. I just play for my own personal entrainment. I've seen reviews on the issue. They generally say, you should get whatever guitar you like, and lam back/sides should not be a deal breaker. What are your guys' thoughts on saving for a long time, vs getting lam b/s that I do like?

I have a Seagull S6, it's nice and fun, but I'm into old time music and wanted something with a bit more boom.

Last edited by 6stringedRamble; 05-20-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Left needed word off title
Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 PM

Go play it and see where it leads you. It would be great if you play the Alvarez and Guild one after another.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 PM

I say don't loose the faith -if that's the guitar you like
-their out their used some where in great shape ( maybe even new )

- or just keep playing everything you can get your hands on
-that's how you learn about guitars in general and which one has the sound you like .

Personally i believe the guitar will find you -and you will know that's it - plain and simple.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:08 PM

Once again I will sing the praises of Washburn Guitars.
I have played them against Alvarez and both are great guitars at really nice prices.

I own an Alvarez Baritone and a Washburn Grand Auditorium.
Both are a joy to play and gear.

Neither have a cutaway.
The Washburn does have a pickup though.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 PM

I love my Alvarez MPA70, second only to my Yairi. Also have an AD610, and it's a remarkably good sounding guitar for lam back. I just prefer smaller guitars. I'd say take a look at the AD70, see if you like it.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
Would a store try to sell a display as new? They were trying to sell me a guitar pretty hard when I was there, but I'm not sure they would go that far.

Also, he said he had a hard time selling off he AD70s, because everyone wants an acoustic-electric cutaway nowadays. I don't like the asymmetrical look of the cutaway and I don't do fancy finger pickin high up the neck.

Also, I also don't like the idea of a "cyborg" acoustic. Just the idea of wires and electronics inside my acoustic guitar seems to defeat the purpose. Why not just get a full electric, or just get a computer, and push a button for music? But we can't ignore progress forever, so are pure acoustics still worth it in this age of electronics? Is that a reason not to buy a full acoustic?
Most stores that I have been to don't have "display guitars" and then another room with other guitars. What you see is what you buy, and you are in the store to play it before you buy it. Sometimes they also have used guitars, and some of them on commission, but they would be clearly labelled as such. What we buy online could have passed through several hands before, as many stores resell their returns as new as well. The main difference typically is warranty, which for me denotes a guitar as used or new.

And yes, I agree that cutaways are not pretty and useless for those who don't play past the 14th fret. Onboard electronics can be good for those who perform a lot, but if you don't perform then a pure acoustic will be better choice as you don't have to worry about corrosion and leaking batteries etc. and usually they just sound better without the added stuff. Alvarez and U.S. Guild are two different classes of guitar, and used Guild D40s can be found in excellent condition for less than $1000. But I hear that the new Oxnard built guitars are pretty good, though they appear to be a bit pricey to me.

If I were you and really wanted an AD70 I would try to get as good a price as possible for a discontinued guitar. I don't mind haggling and many stores are open to negotiation, so maybe make them an offer below what you think it's worth and maybe they can meet you at a reasonable price (probably 2/3 of regular retail for discontinued item).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion