The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Playing styles, are you a jack of all trades, or a one hit wonder?

there are a lot of different ways to play guitar - with a pick, finger picks, finger style w/o picks, Jazz/swing/rock/folk/blues/etc...the list goes on and on. Question is, do you focus on just one, or are you well versed in all aspects, or somewhere in between? After recently attending both a Leo Kottke and a Riders in the Sky show - I've become aware of how easy it is to get pulled first one way, then another totally different direction.

Last edited by hat; 05-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 AM

I can play any style...in my mind.

Best suited for rhythm strumming and some flat-picking with some arpeggios and a few licks here and there. I can play the solo on "Take It Easy" by the Eagles pretty well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My home base is probably finger picking and light strumming in the singer songwriter style of one voice, one guitar. I have been working to expand my playing styles, mix up my rhythm and tempos and add some flat picking but I will still probably always fall mostly into a folk/old timey/americana feel.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Been doing this pro/semi pro for 50 years and have discovered that the more you can do, the more you work. Band-wise, I've done country, classic rock, jazz, and surf; also, a LOT of theater productions. Solo, it's been jazz chord melody and Merle Travis/Chet Atkins thumb style. I play guitar, bass, pedal steel, and 5 string banjo. It's been a good run and I'm just starting on exploring DADGAD for my own enjoyment. In the past, it's always been about the $$$ but now trying to do something for me but it's hard trying to learn something that I'll never perform outside my living room - not a lot of market for Scottish airs and O'Carolan tunes in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 AM

I used to play different styles but when I got hold of fingerpicking I let everything else go so Im a one hit non-wonder
Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 AM

I'm mostly a lead electric player, primary focus being Nashville "chicken picking" and various country styles, although we throw in some classic rock and Americana sometimes too. I'm in 2 bands currently. By the time I get home from all that, I'd much rather pick up an acoustic when I'm sitting around in my sweat pants and flip flops. I don't play out on acoustic much, so it's just for me. I'm all over the map in terms of what I play then, whatever strikes my fancy. Since I can't sing, I tend to gravitate to more complex fingerstyle stuff, or some Chet, sometimes bluegrass. I almost never just strum cowboy chords - not much point when I can't sing.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM

I am a hack in multiple genres.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Fingerstyle... ;-)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
My home base is probably finger picking and light strumming in the singer songwriter style of one voice, one guitar. I have been working to expand my playing styles, mix up my rhythm and tempos and add some flat picking but I will still probably always fall mostly into a folk/old timey/americana feel.

Best,
Jayne

Yep that's me too. I'm hoping to learn some more jazz rhythm and Bossa nova type stuff soon too.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
I am a hack in multiple genres.
This describes my playing style to a T.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM

I like a lot of different stuff and dabble a bit, but I think I look at everything through jazz colored glasses, which is to say, improvisation is what makes me happiest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Mainly strumming and Classical (fingerpicking.) Not great but passable in both.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM

I'm working hard to master multiple playing styles, across genres, including but not limited to:

1) Incorrect key
2) Poor rhythm timing
3) Improperly executed barre chords
4) Out-of-tune chord voicing
5) Intolerably painful vocals
6) Often indistinguishable song selection
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM

I would classify myself as neither.

I play both electric and acoustic (although these days mostly acoustic) guitars.

The first ten years of playing was mostly electric and styles were rock, blues and some jazz.

Hearing Bruce Cockburn and Pierre Bensusan in the mid-Seventies caused me to investigate more fingerpicking styles - folk, British Isles, classical. During this time I started developing the skills to completely improvise instrumental pieces onstage.

I work hard to twist and transmute any style or technique I learn into my own thing. The only style I wish to master is my own.

(There are some styles and techniques that I won't touch, as I can't really get value from the study. For example, I love great bluegrass guitar, but my own style is legato, which is fairly opposed to the right hand dominance required for truly great bluegrass. That said, I have copped some choice approaches from listening to great bluegrass players.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I've done folk strumming, fingerstyle, Travis picking, jazz, punk bash-it-out, Celtic flat picking, a few classical pieces, and hybrids thereof. It's nice to be versatile, although sometimes I wish I were really, really good at one thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write