The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Default XLR/USB?

Apologizing again for my ignorance...as I enter into the world of (trying)to record. I'm about to purchase an interface (focus or behringer) to record onto my mac, and contemplating a mic purchase. Is there an advantage to going direct into the computer with a usb mic vs through the interface with xls? Is this a dumb question?
Many thanks!
Larry K.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Apologizing again for my ignorance...as I enter into the world of (trying)to record. I'm about to purchase an interface (focus or behringer) to record onto my mac, and contemplating a mic purchase. Is there an advantage to going direct into the computer with a usb mic vs through the interface with xls? Is this a dumb question?
Many thanks!
Larry K.

I'd say the advantage of a USB mic is that it's simpler. Less gear, so probably cheaper too. Popular for uses where quality is 2nd to ease of use - like podcasters and so on. Tho there are high quality USB mics. The disadvantage is the possibly lower quality of the entire chain, and less flexibility. With an interface, you may have more channels, and other features. You're also not locked into a single mic, so you have better upgrade options.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there an advantage to going direct into the computer with a usb mic vs through the interface with xls? Is this a dumb question?
I'm pretty sure if you go direct into the computer with a usb mic, you're bypassing the interface. And since the interface is likely to have better AD/DA conversion than the sound card on your computer, you'd be getting inferior sound quality compared to what you'd get with your interface.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm pretty sure if you go direct into the computer with a usb mic, you're bypassing the interface. And since the interface is likely to have better AD/DA conversion than the sound card on your computer, you'd be getting inferior sound quality compared to what you'd get with your interface.
With a USB mic, the A/D should be in the mic. The computer's getting digital, so the computer sound card shouldn't be involved. Most USB mics tend to be on the budget side, so the built-in converters are presumably lower quality than you might get in an external interface, but it all depends. There are low quality interfaces, and some higher quality USB mics. If you're just getting started, you may not be tuned into the differences anyway.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Default XLR versatility

Thanks...also, while I think of it....wouldn't the xlr option give me more flexibility to use it to sing through an amplifier?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks...also, while I think of it....wouldn't the xlr option give me more flexibility to use it to sing through an amplifier?
Yes, a USB mike is special-purpose, can only be used with a computer. A standard mike (with XLR) is general purpose, so can be used onstage, in any recording studio on Earth, etc.

However, unless your amplifier has specific mike circuitry (e.g. Loudbox), you'll always be better off with a mike preamp.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 AM

USB mic:
1) Lack of monitoring options (direct monitoring, adjustment of levels)
2) Cannot use a 2nd mic
3) May only have 16 bit A-D converter

Audio Interface and standard mic:
1) Can use the mic with any device with XLR input
2) Can use more than on emic at a time (assuming multiple mic preamps in the interface).
3) If you decide to upgrade the interface to a better/bigger one, you can still use any mics you have.
4) Offer multiple monitoring options (direct monitoring, separate speaker and headphone outputs, etc).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Nailed it, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
USB mic:
2) Cannot use a 2nd mic

2) Can use more than on emic at a time (assuming multiple mic preamps in the interface).
3) If you decide to upgrade the interface to a better/bigger one, you can still use any mics you have.
4) Offer multiple monitoring options (direct monitoring, separate speaker and headphone outputs, etc).
Thanks, Mike. And I agree...winter sucks.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Many thanks!
Larry K.
Dumb, no. IMO a regular mic into the interface is preferable because the mic can be used on stage or anywhere ... the USB mic is one trick pony. The interface also allows you to monitor while recording in hardware, as opposed to needing to run monitoring through the DAW which can result in latency. I think USB mics are best suited to podcasts and voice-over work.

For best recorded results get a condenser mic and an interface that provides phantom power.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:55 PM

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Dumb, no. IMO a regular mic into the interface is preferable because the mic can be used on stage or anywhere ... the USB mic is one trick pony. The interface also allows you to monitor while recording in hardware, as opposed to needing to run monitoring through the DAW which can result in latency. I think USB mics are best suited to podcasts and voice-over work.

For best recorded results get a condenser mic and an interface that provides phantom power.
Can that confessor mic be used for recording vocals?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

You can use multiple USB microphones connected to a Mac at one time by setting up an aggregate audio device. This article explains how:
https://www.askdavetaylor.com/use_mu...arageband_mac/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
USB mic:
2) Cannot use a 2nd mic

Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Can that confessor mic be used for recording vocals?
Yes. But it's condenser mic, not confessor.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Darn, I confess!

Typing my correction and you beat me to it! Good catch!
And thank you.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
You can use multiple USB microphones connected to a Mac at one time by setting up an aggregate audio device. This article explains how:
You still have the monitoring issues, and its also possible that you will have a clock issue when using multiple input devices - probably not noticeable in a short recording, but could become noticeable in a long one (like recording a live show) unless there is some way to set all devices to use one clock.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Possible perhaps, but looks to me a bit like a solution in search of question. When the better question at that point is perhaps, why?
Given that arguably the two most defining and perhaps critical elements in a recording chain are the front end, and the back end ...(the mic/s and the monitoring system). The biggest problem with USB mics as opposed to say a good interface (as has been pointed out ) is you are limited to that specific mic (unless you sell it) does nothing for monitoring, and there is no escaping the general mfg. concept that the more components in a single unit, dictates one of two options, either the more expensive it has to be at any given performance level ,,, Or the cheaper the components have to be.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD