The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-27-2019, 07:44 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloplay View Post
Hi all. I've been learning to play guitar for a little over two years now, self taught except for a player who once showed me pentatonic scales. My main problem is when using barre chords, or to be more specific, finding alternatives to barres. I can usually find some type of single note runs, mostly within a pentatonic box, to fill in where a barre would normally be placed, but of course this doesn't always work. My question is, do any of you have problems finding substitutes for barres, and what methods are utilized in so doing? Thanks, Ricci
You should just keep practicing the barre chords, even if its just for a few minutes a day. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but remember "only the truth hurts."

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You should just keep practicing the barre chords, even if its just for a few minutes a day. Probably not what you wanted to hear....
I agree with Barry - Barre chords, done correctly, do not put any more pressure or strain on your hands, in my experience. When I was learning them (and they are hell to learn for EVERYBODY), my hands would ache after a few minutes of practice. Then, once I figured it out, I found that I can play barre chords for hours with no strain on my hands. What I learned is that, properly done, the barre chord is more about the angle and leverage than pressure. Once I figured that out things got better fast.

I know you were looking for alternatives - I cannot help you there, because for me it was harder to find work-arounds than it was just learning to barre. If you can figure out the barre chord, the options and flexibility that the barre shapes open up for you are incredible. I learned so much about the fretboard and how to play songs more effectively and efficiently with barre chords. I would urge you to just keep at it until it clicks. It WILL click eventually.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 05-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Indeed they are virtually impossible for me to play cleanly. I worked my hands HARD for most of my life, and my knuckles/joints literally will not allow clean barres,
Unless you have a true medical condition like arthritis, I highly doubt that this is actually the case. Sure, it will feel like this is the case, but I don't think this is the real obstacle here.

You say you have been playing guitar for two years and you are self-taught. Playing barre chords cleanly is super-difficult in my opinion. Two years is nothing when it comes to mastering them (I still struggle after playing for 15 years, and I have not worked my hands hard for most of my life).

I suggest you take a few lessons from an in-person teacher, and you may find that you are well able to play barre chords in one way or another. Working around the issue will limit your ability to learn and play guitar properly in my opinion. I say that from experience, after avoiding barre chords myself for many years. What this has done to me is that I found myself restricted to the lower frets and unable to play up the neck. Taking advantage of the whole neck critically depends on the ability to play barre chords, so it's not something I would want to avoid.

Good luck!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…My question is, do any of you have problems finding substitutes for barres, and what methods are utilized in so doing? Thanks, Ricci
Hi Sloplay

I'm resurrecting this ancient week old (because I had a busy week last week and missed it).

I don't have a problem finding substitutes for barre chords, and when I use a substitute for a barre; be it a 3 or 4 note inversion/run, or a different voicing to a chord that COULD be barred, it's by choice and not to avoid barre chords.

I use plenty of barre chords when playing backing guitar, because I'm trying to stay behind/under the lead player, fill a hole in the arrangement, and not interfere with his lead part. I also tend to use barre chords when backing group singing, and/or when I need to chunk-out solid sounding chords rhythmically on the beat while muting the back beat.

You likely need to buckle down and learn to use barres when they are useful. Well, only if you want your music and musicianship to grow. If that's not of concern to you, then keep avoiding them till you want to put in the work to take steps forward.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 AM

Ultimately, unless there are serious organic issues, playing barres well is a question of technique and practice. Lots of practice.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I can play barre chords, but triads on the first three strings are an alternative. It's easy to learn the shapes that make any of these without translating all the note names. This chart is my own example, so it's lefty but might give the idea.
http://www.dee.email/OPEN/triadshapes.jpg
The B string is orange. The chart shows where the 1, 3, 5 note of the triad is to make a Major, minor, and dim chord when the root is on any of the three strings. Since they are all movable, knowing these few shapes (for most, you probably only need six of them), the scale pattern of major/minor/dim, and where to find the root note of the scale, you can play in any key just as you can with full barres. I do play these with mini-barres, but I'm assuming you can barre 2-3 of the lightest strings ok.
Yep, triads open up tons of possibilities.

While you are learning these, you should really work E and Em barre shapes as well as A and Am barres. These will take you a long way.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I agree with Barry - Barre chords, done correctly, do not put any more pressure or strain on your hands, in my experience. When I was learning them (and they are hell to learn for EVERYBODY), my hands would ache after a few minutes of practice. Then, once I figured it out, I found that I can play barre chords for hours with no strain on my hands. What I learned is that, properly done, the barre chord is more about the angle and leverage than pressure. Once I figured that out things got better fast.

I know you were looking for alternatives - I cannot help you there, because for me it was harder to find work-arounds than it was just learning to barre. If you can figure out the barre chord, the options and flexibility that the barre shapes open up for you are incredible. I learned so much about the fretboard and how to play songs more effectively and efficiently with barre chords. I would urge you to just keep at it until it clicks. It WILL click eventually.
They may not put MORE pressure on the hands, but they cause effort in a different PART OF THE HAND (IME).

More use of the thumb. I sure feel it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write