The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Default Advice on choosing first classical

I have been playing guitar for two years now; I have a steel string Lag solid cedar top, mahogany sides and back and acoustic, a Stratocaster and a 339 semi hollow body. I am in the market for a nylon string classical guitar, in the no more than $400 used range. Can those more experienced give me a few suggestions? I know a fair amount snout steel string acoustics, brands, tone woods, etc but very little about nylon stringed classicals. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM

Add to your questions whether you want a Flamenco or Classical. I believe that Flamencos have a more percussive tone - shallower body? More informed players will have to chime in.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 AM

Flamencos lower action both at the saddle to soundboard and at the nut
Less depth at the sides
Usually cypress or sycamore for the sides ( no negra I know of in that price range ) spruce more common for soundboard
Classical usually rosewood/jacaranda back and sides .. Laminated in that price range
Higher action setup.. In that price range should be able to find a half decent cedar top
Ebony a preferred fingerboard for both
In that price range you may get lucky but more commonly rosewood
If your after a used classical or flamenco in that price range Ahlambra (Spain) or Francisco Navarro (Mexico) make good entry
level instruments
There are definitely other options but going by the guitars students bring in these are consistently good with a healthy resale
Old K yairi's can play and sound good
If you live in Australia the Katoh brand are winners .. A Chinese made instrument with a connection to Kenny Hill (USA)
They may be re labeled as something else in other parts of the world

In the case of Older guitars check for signs of sinking soundboard and stress marks in top at the bridge

Yamaha's not so great for playability and sound but there are exceptions ... Usually better options so keep hunting
avoid admira as a general rule..side and neck glue joints come undone
Negative experience with entry level la patrie.. Split soundboard and sides and bracing rattles

Hope that helps

Last edited by AlVal; 08-16-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Add to your questions whether you want a Flamenco or Classical. I believe that Flamencos have a more percussive tone - shallower body? More informed players will have to chime in.
Good point; thank you. It was late and I did not think of that.
I am thinking I am leaning more towards traditional classical vs. flamenco, although my mother's family is from Spain and the Flamenco connects with family roots. I play mostly classic rock on my acoustic and electrics, but like to branch out to some classical music, too. I am open to pretty much any ideas or suggestions, as both interest me. My choice for the first would likely be classical.
My choice would likely be used, as I purchase most of my equipment used, and could get a better instrument for the same money. I know little about nylon string guitars so any advice would be wonderful. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlVal View Post
Yamaha's not so great for playability and sound but there are exceptions ...
I believe the CG171SF and CG172SF models would be exceptions (for a less than $400 guitar). And well within the OP price range. The 171 is discontinued. The 172 is in production. Note it is a "flamenco" model but will cover the territory.

hunter
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM

As far as types of Classical other than a standard, full sized, the category of 'crossover' has a narrower nut width, less than two inches - marketed for the steel string player. There are 3/4 sized Classicals that have the narrower nut, and I'll suggest the Cordoba Cadete (solid top) and the Cordoba Protege C1 (laminate top). The difference of sound between those two is that the Cadete has more alive notes, though, sometimes that is a little too rich, and I opt for the C1's sober qualities. To sound their best, I use different strings on those two - the proper strings on a laminate top can deliver some real snap. A luthier friend told me that when it comes to acoustic guitars, louder is always better - I don't usually subscribe to that myself.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 08-16-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 PM

Cool Advice on choosing first classical guitar.

If you have a tight budget, take a look at Antonio Hermosa guitars...under $300 usually, and they sound pretty good. They offer several different styles, including a narrow neck model. My AH-20 has a solid cedar top with rosewood back & sides. Abalone around the body, double abalone rosette with rosewood between, even has abalone up & down the fingerboard! Nice tuning machines, as well. Lots of "bling" for the buck!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 AM

Hi BlackDog. I would suggest trying to determine if you want a true classical guitar or a hybrid nylon string guitar. The differences may vary but the hybrid will tend to have a slight radius/curve on the fretboard whereas the classical is usually flat. The hybrid gives a classical tone but with more steel string playability feeling.

In your price range, the La Patrie (part of the Godin family of guitars made in Quebec, Canada) are a great value. I've seen used La Patrie Concerts (all solid wood) go for just under $400.
http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitarsconcert.html
Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
If you have a tight budget, take a look at Antonio Hermosa guitars...under $300 usually, and they sound pretty good. They offer several different styles, including a narrow neck model. My AH-20 has a solid cedar top with rosewood back & sides. Abalone around the body, double abalone rosette with rosewood between, even has abalone up & down the fingerboard! Nice tuning machines, as well. Lots of "bling" for the buck!

Glen
^^ this, definitely
Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 AM

I have an old (>20y) Dauphin classical with a solid cedar top... it is really easy to play and I'm surprised to discover that there is a lot of interest (and people wanting to play it) when I take it out, which I often do because I don't want my "good" classical to get dinged up. Dauphin guitars were made in Japan, and everyone from my guitar teacher to people who hear it are impressed with the sound, and even though it has a full sized neck and long scale, I find it comfortable to play. And you can pick them up for between $300 and $600 (the more expensive are all solid) - I saw one on for sale locally within that price range recently... The other make often recommended are the Kenny Hill New World guitars - made in China and "set up" in California. I had one of his guitars and liked the playability - very similar to a Cordoba (also influenced by Kenny Hill). The solid top laminate back guitars should be available used in your price range. As someone moving from steel string guitars, I appreciated them because they have narrower nuts (mine was 1 7/8) and a C-shaped neck more similar to an acoustic.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM

My first thought - a LaPatrie classical (made in Canada by Godin) - nice guitars - they do have a slight fretboard radius of 24" - essentially flat - and they have the typical classical 2" nut width...

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html

Also, perhaps a Walden classical? www.waldenguitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical