The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 AM

My Taylor GC5 has that combination of woods as well. I agree that the combination of mahogany and cedar is an excellent match.

fulfilling, I like the sound of D'Addario EXP 16s on my GC. They seem to me to be a bit warmer than the Elixers, and they rein in the chiminess of the guitar. The "Taylor sound" is still there; it's just a bit more balanced to my ear.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Thanks. In fact I changed to D'addario PB and it sounds warmer.

However I may want to try John Pearse PB next to see if it give slightly more shimmering trebles (but not too much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
My Taylor GC5 has that combination of woods as well. I agree that the combination of mahogany and cedar is an excellent match.

fulfilling, I like the sound of D'Addario EXP 16s on my GC. They seem to me to be a bit warmer than the Elixers, and they rein in the chiminess of the guitar. The "Taylor sound" is still there; it's just a bit more balanced to my ear.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM

I'm curious how long it takes for cedar to age and have better play-in tone?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Picked that combo on my Goodall Custom CJ, absolutey sweet and can do just about anything. Almost ten years old and sounds lovely.
noledog
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
I'm curious how long it takes for cedar to age and have better play-in tone?
Can't give you a number, but as a rule, less time than spruce. My cedar top "opened up" very quickly... about a month. But I was playing it everyday.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Can't give you a number, but as a rule, less time than spruce. My cedar top "opened up" very quickly... about a month. But I was playing it everyday.
Thanks for the info. Will see my progress on my cedar top after one month of playing
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
Thanks for the info. Will see my progress on my cedar top after one month of playing
It was actually kinda funny- when I got the guitar, I immediately began the "string search"- looking for the best strings for this particular guitar. As the cedar played in over that month, my string opinions kept changing! At first, Sunbeams sounded great, but then... not so much... then Martin SPs...love them!...then, not really.... Top was changing, making string choice impossible.

Moral of the story: pick a "decent" set of strings & stick with them for awhile, before you start experimenting with a bunch of different strings!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm pretty sure epaul's Taylor GS5-12 has a cedar top and he has gushed about it in a recent post. It sounds like a terrific combination to me.

geokie8
Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was actually kinda funny- when I got the guitar, I immediately began the "string search"- looking for the best strings for this particular guitar. As the cedar played in over that month, my string opinions kept changing! At first, Sunbeams sounded great, but then... not so much... then Martin SPs...love them!...then, not really.... Top was changing, making string choice impossible.

Moral of the story: pick a "decent" set of strings & stick with them for awhile, before you start experimenting with a bunch of different strings!
Hey Ruger,
I have been pleased with ghs lj pbl's and Martin Marquis pbl's on my Goodie CJ cedar/hog...did not care for SP versions or 80/20, although the 80/20 SP's sound great on my son's Yami Dread.
noledog
Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1027 View Post
My Fylde is cedar/mahogany. It's my only guitar w/ that combo....Not as loud as it's spruce/mahogany counterparts. Great for fingerpicking...it gets a bit overpowered with hard strumming. Weird...the only guitar that I've ever owned that sounds better as the strings get older!!!!
I used to have a John Hullah 000 in cedar/mahogany and I had the same impression of its power. It was a fairly quiet guitar but had a lovely "burned brown sugar" sound (sorry - that's what it used to make me think of!). John Hullah worked for Fylde before setting up on his own.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hey Ruger,
I have been pleased with ghs lj pbl's and Martin Marquis pbl's on my Goodie CJ cedar/hog...did not care for SP versions or 80/20, although the 80/20 SP's sound great on my son's Yami Dread.
noledog
In general, I'm not a fan of 80/20s- too bright for me. BUT... just a few days ago, I played a bunch of Taylors, some cedar/hog, some cedar/walnut, some spruce/walnut... all Taylors come with 80/20s. And they all sounded amazing.

I actually might try 80/20 (Elixirs) one final time on my Cedar/Hog GA... just to make sure I'm not "missing something".

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I have a cedar over mahogany Taylor 514CE that my wife bought me as a surprise in 2002. At the time, my only other 6-string acoustic was my 1967 Martin D-35. These 2 guitars obviously sound quite different and it took me quite a while to get used to the Taylor 514CE. Today, however, I play the 514CE much more than the old Martin. It is a great fingerstyle guitar, has great tonal clarity, and is very responsive to light strings, which I need these days. You can find used versions of the Taylor 514CE for about $1400.

Regards, Glenn
Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 AM

The Seagull S6 original cedar/ cherry is a wonderful guitar. Very versatile and could easily be ones only guitar for a lifetime. You don't have to spend alot of money to get a great guitar. Some might not like the wide neck. I love it.

If you have a larger budget and prefer a gloss finish and smaller neck, the Taylor 514 is a classic. These cedar/ mahogany guitars have a bighter tone compared to the Seagull but still have warmth and shimmer.

If your pockets are even fatter and you desire more of everything the Seagull and Taylor have to offer, a Goodall in cedar coupled with either mahogany or koa will be outstanding.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Mine opened up a little too quickly!

Seriously, I have no idea how it will sound. I'm still at the "tap tone" phase but I have hope it will be worth the wait.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Yes I am contemplating changing strings to find the most suitable ones.

Perhaps will stick to my elixir first for next 3 months or so and hear how the tone opens up. Seems like sooner than I would've expect from spruce.

Anyway my John Pearse and Martin SP Lifespan are on stand-by.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion