The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Default 12 Bar Blues, How Do You Play Them?

Hi all I like to get into playing a 12 bar blues pattern but don't know just use them and what to do with it. I know the one from 2nd fret to 4th fret but isn't there a world of other possibilities? I saw a you tube lesson where he plays a barre chord a B7 then goes to a E9 then to a F9 with a few little strums on each sounds very cool then on the I chord does a little major pentatonic scale lick in there too. What do you enjoy doing with the 12 bar blues? thanks guys.

Daza.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM

There are as many forms of a 12 bar blues as the day is long. The tie that binds (usually) is a progresion that uses a IV(7) chord in bar 5 and a V(7) chord in bar 9, and some sort of turnaround the last 2 bars.

here's a couple examples, all in the key of E. Each bar is four beats on the chord. First one's as simple as it gets:

|E7|E7|E7|E7|A7|A7|E7|E7|B7|A7|E7|B7|

next, a "quick change blues", which goes to the IV chord in bar 2.

|E7|A7|E7|E7|A7|A7|E7|E7|B7|A7|E7|B7|

here's one with a little chromatic tension at the end (two beats on C7, two on B7):

|E7|A7|E7|E7|A7|A7|E7|E7|B7|A7|E7|C7 B7|

here's one with a little more of a true turnaround

|E7|A7|E7|E7|A7|A7|E7|E7|B7|A7|E7 C#7 |F#7 B7|

here's an old school "jump" blues

|E7|A7|E7|E7|A7|Bbdim7|E7|G#m7 C#7|F#m7|B7|E7 C#7 |F#7 B7|

do you see how we can go on forever here? that's the fun of it. Blues never has to get stale. Do plenty of listening, look for a book of blues songs (they made a little pocket sized book of 100 blues tunes some years ago, just chords, melody, and lyrics, but a GREAT little resource)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM

I'm learning 12 bar blues too. Also 8 bars. I follow the I-IV-V-I patterns using something like the the G7-C7-D7 chords and strum with a shuffle rhythm. Then toss in some C for the C7, or G6 for the G7 here and there. I like to play these because it helps me with my chord changes and strumming and I can sound okay doing it since I'm a beginner player.
Doug
Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Mr. B. has given you some good material. However, note that it's not absolutely necessary to make each chord a seventh. In fact nothing is absolutely necessary; that's part of the fun.

Although the V chord probably needs to be a V7, the I and IV chords can be played either way, even both ways. Try adding the 7 only on the last measure before a chord change. Try bouncing back and forth every other beat.

If you get tired of playing sevenths, try ninths.

Listen to B.B. King's "The Thrill is Gone". Does it sound like it uses major chords or minor chords? Then try to figure out the one chord that isn't a I, IV or V (or is that i, iv, V? )

After that, listen to T-Bone Walker's "Stormy Monday" for even more variations.

I have heard old, old recordings in which the performer had more words than would fit in the standard pattern, so he just added a measure or two to make room.

Some say the blues is simple. Yeah, right.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
it's not absolutely necessary to make each chord a seventh. In fact nothing is absolutely necessary; that's part of the fun.
absolutely!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
I know the one from 2nd fret to 4th fret but isn't there a world of other possibilities?
What do you mean by the "one?" (as in singular.)
What key is that ONE in?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Speaking of having fun (and variations on the I-IV-V progression) here's an example that I love even though it might make blues purists cringe.

SRV and Lonnie Mack: "Oreo Cookie Blues"

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
What do you mean by the "one?" (as in singular.)
What key is that ONE in?
it was meant as in its the only one I know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
Speaking of having fun (and variations on the I-IV-V progression) here's an example that I love even though it might make blues purists cringe.

SRV and Lonnie Mack: "Oreo Cookie Blues"
Loved that alot not the lyrics but the tune very much, what was he playing? I think it was Lonnie I was watching and looks like he was using the moving/walking bassline thumb then fingers, you know what I mean eh. Simple and cool....
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM

Yeah, but which "one" is it?

In general, there is only one 12 bar blues . . . but as you've seen here, there are many variations.

So, what I meant was what Key or Keys do you play your one in? Meaning that you can play the "open chord" blues in E, A, D, G, C for starters. Each one will require (or allow) different fingerings. Also, certain hammers and pulloffs will open new tune nuances. You'll say, "Well THAT sounds kinda neat!" "Wonder how I could play the same notes (relatively speaking) when I play it in E . . . or A . . ?" And so on.

Then you can go to F, F#, B maybe even Bb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write