The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Default NGD - Yamaha CSF1M Sunburst Parlor

Very nice parlor guitar. I really like the small body size and the extra short scale length. I'm easily playing 4-voice jazz chords at the 7th fret!

I've just restrung it with one of my usual bizarre string combinations:

EAD light gauge flatwounds, and GBE ball-end nylon strings, all tuned 1/2 step down. Deep bass and fat clear treble sounds....

It's a great watching-TV-on-the-sofa guitar!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

SO the light ga strings on a super short scale tuned down half step doesn't add up to floppy strings?

I ask because I am also looking forward to a 24" parlor on the way. I was thinking I would need at least lights, not for deep tone, but for minimum tension with all the factors.

I am also intrigued with the ball end nylon replacement strings for this comfy couch playing. Low tension and possibly less nylon string stretch. It seems I am always tuning up my nylon Yamaha that was setup and strung up by a luthier.

So are you just fingerstyle interesting chords and not strumming at the low tension you seem to be enjoying?
Old 05-09-2019, 04:39 PM

The EAD flat wounds are 50, 40, and 30 so they are actually not to thin. I only play acoustic without a pick, gently playing the chords all 4 notes at once and never strumming, so the low tension is OK for me.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

The CSF1M is my favorite short-scale/parlor/travel guitar. I tried out all of them last year and that one just lit my fire. I've thought about "upgrading" to the all-solid CSF3M, but the ones I've played don't sound any better to my ears than the laminate B&S 1M. I have the sunburst model as well.

I do intend to pickup a Sheeran By Lowden W (Wee Lowden-sized) model at some point though. So we'll see if the Yamaha can hang-onto the title as my favorite small guitar.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73171 View Post
The EAD flat wounds are 50, 40, and 30 so they are actually not to thin. I only play acoustic without a pick, gently playing the chords all 4 notes at once and never strumming, so the low tension is OK for me.

Cool. Low tension is what this country needs : )

Any take on ball end nylon unwound strings staying in tune more so than an average wrap nylon bridge?

(I got medium hard nylon strings on my 300$ nylon. 25.6" long scale Yamaha).
They frustratingly seem to go out after every song).
Old 05-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Cool. Low tension is what this country needs : )

Any take on ball end nylon unwound strings staying in tune more so than an average wrap nylon bridge?

(I got medium hard nylon strings on my 300$ nylon. 25.6" long scale Yamaha).
They frustratingly seem to go out after every song).
It's too soon to tell if the nylon strings will need to be tuned often. I bought the guitar today! I'll let them stretch overnight and see what happens......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion