The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Interested in electric

Hello All. Just got into guitars this Xmas with my 11 yoa. We're moving right along with two acoustics. I did run across an Ibanez RG that I let my son play after an 1/2 hour or so on acoustic. Now, I've got the fever for one. However, I'm deep already on cost and don't know how long this will last so I wanted a cheap starter electric. Looking at the ones on the attached link. Pretty cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

http://www.guitarfella.com/best-electric-guitar/cheap/

Jed
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Hello All. Just got into guitars this Xmas with my 11 yoa. We're moving right along with two acoustics. I did run across an Ibanez RG that I let my son play after an 1/2 hour or so on acoustic. Now, I've got the fever for one. However, I'm deep already on cost and don't know how long this will last so I wanted a cheap starter electric. Looking at the ones on the attached link. Pretty cheap. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

http://www.guitarfella.com/best-electric-guitar/cheap/

Jed
I didn't see a Squier Telecaster on the list (my first choice, probably), otherwise it's as good a list as any other. My advice:

1. Buy used if you can. Craigslist, Reverb.com are good places to look.

2. Pay lots more attention to how it feels in your hand than to anything else, IMO.

3. Spend some minimal time on Google and Youtube learning how to do a good basic set-up on whatever you buy, then do it. You'll learn, your guitar will play better, you'll feel more in control of the instrument, and even if you screw something up (highly unlikely) you haven't lost much. Set neck relief, string height, pickup height, intonation, in that order. Then play it for a while and see what you think before messing with it any more.

4. BTW, don't get hung up on esoteric tools like radius gauges; you can measure the height on your two E strings, then do all the rest by feel (this is exactly, BTW, how some boutique shops do it). You'll know what all this means after you do your research.

5. Likewise, don't get all hung up on string gauge, pick thickness, and all the other stuff we tend to obsess over. Save that for later so you can REALLY spend some money!

6. Don't forget you need a practice amp. I'd go as cheap as you can, honestly, as even though you may quickly outgrow it you'll always find a use for that little Gorilla or 10-watt Fender Frontman, or whatever cheap little box you start with.

Have fun! This is a great time in history to buy cheap guitars, it's hard these days to get a real dog.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I didn't see a Squier Telecaster on the list (my first choice, probably), otherwise it's as good a list as any other. My advice:

1. Buy used if you can. Craigslist, Reverb.com are good places to look.

2. Pay lots more attention to how it feels in your hand than to anything else, IMO.

3. Spend some minimal time on Google and Youtube learning how to do a good basic set-up on whatever you buy, then do it. You'll learn, your guitar will play better, you'll feel more in control of the instrument, and even if you screw something up (highly unlikely) you haven't lost much. Set neck relief, string height, pickup height, intonation, in that order. Then play it for a while and see what you think before messing with it any more.

4. BTW, don't get hung up on esoteric tools like radius gauges; you can measure the height on your two E strings, then do all the rest by feel (this is exactly, BTW, how some boutique shops do it). You'll know what all this means after you do your research.

5. Likewise, don't get all hung up on string gauge, pick thickness, and all the other stuff we tend to obsess over. Save that for later so you can REALLY spend some money!

6. Don't forget you need a practice amp. I'd go as cheap as you can, honestly, as even though you may quickly outgrow it you'll always find a use for that little Gorilla or 10-watt Fender Frontman, or whatever cheap little box you start with.

Have fun! This is a great time in history to buy cheap guitars, it's hard these days to get a real dog.
Thanks for the good information. I've been doing the research like you mentioned. Planning going by store this weekend to pick one up. Thanks again
Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 PM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...itar-combo-amp

The amp in this starter pack is a bit nicer than what's usually included in these things...
Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM

It is personal preference. Of the list you provided, I would go with the Epiphone SG, because it is very light, has a high fret cut-away, decent electronics, and stays in tune during the song. I also prefer the feel of the neck to the others listed. My second choice would be the Squire.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
It is personal preference. Of the list you provided, I would go with the Epiphone SG, because it is very light, has a high fret cut-away, decent electronics, and stays in tune during the song. I also prefer the feel of the neck to the others listed. My second choice would be the Squire.
Thanks. Hoping to hold some of them tomor and weekend. Just trying to find something to start with. Just started playing with my son. I'm 53 and never touched a guitar. I bought us both acoustics for xmas and traded for an Ibanez electric RG1570 the other day, but we need another one. My son will not put down the Ibanez... It has floating trem and kind of hard to tune but seems to hold when I get it there. Nice guitar, but got to have another one or I won't get to play. Very tempting to put up the acoustics. Electric plays much easier.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...itar-combo-amp

The amp in this starter pack is a bit nicer than what's usually included in these things...

Looks good. Hopefully I can test one tomor
Old 01-13-2017, 12:12 AM

Hi, Jed. Many of us really love playing both acoustic and electric. I suggest looking at the Fender Affinity line (Teles and Strats) and Epiphone (Les Pauls, SGs, Les Paul Juniors). These makers generally offer excellent value for money, are often discounted even further, and are consistently very playable. I would simply try the various models offered by each, and go with what feels best. I have many excellent and pricey guitars, but I also have an Fender Affinity Tele, just for fun, and it is an amazingly playable, nice-sounding pro-level guitar. Good luck -- it's a good time to be a budget buyer.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 AM

You might also want to look into the Paul Reed Smith 'SE' line of guitars. These are the Korean-made versions of the high-end PRS guitars made in the states. Some of the more basic ones can come in used at around $300.00, give or take, and are very nice guitars for the money. Even the ones with gorgeous flame/quilt, nice inlays, etc., can be had cheap! Some examples from Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/3558027-prs-...lectric-guitar

https://reverb.com/item/3748933-paul...m-22-flame-top

https://reverb.com/item/3627109-prs-...-2008-sunburst

Like most Gibsons, they have a slightly shorter scale length (the distance between the bridge and the nut) and neck dimensions that are very hand-friendly for starting out, and their build quality, tone and playability are stellar. I wish there were guitars this nice for little cash when I was starting!

I think I would be hesitant to start out on a guitar with a floating type tremolo, especially in this price range...they're hard enough for experienced players to get and keep in tune. I think I would start with a hard-tail or possibly a basic trem that's set for "dive-only". You want to be able to learn how it's supposed to sound when it's tuned right. Just my two bits...

Enjoy the journey!
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 01-13-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 AM

Keep things simple, Squier Affinity Telecaster ($199 new, less used) and a Fender Mustang 2 ($199 new, $120 used).
Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM

well, guess ill turn some heads and be called crazy- but- i play my friends gibson les paul custom and have an Ibanez AX myself, guess ill saying i play on decent stuff, anyway- i dont care for humbucker guitars, so i looked for single coil styles, often ending up comparing to the fender squiers like the bullet and affinity, sometimes the standard (new and used) from what i can tell almost all these 'brand' guitars seem near identical in components used, i noticed the squier fretboards were often very rough and intonation was always off, not so much the low to high E, but the other frets were slightly sharp here and there, i found a strat style behringer at a pawn shop for $15, looked like new, i know its rated as garbage, but after playing this, id rather have this then any affinity i ever tried
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Buy a nice Mexican Strat that somebody has put some good pickups in. That's all you'll need unless you want to spend 2K+ on a Grosh or Anderson. I've had almost every nice electric out there. All I have now are two Mexican Strats; one with HR Texas pickups and the other with original Blues VanZants. Oh, and a Rick Kelly tele.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 AM

You can often pickup those 'beginner electric' guitars on craigslist for half the price of a new one.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Something I often advised my students when I was teaching: hold on to your acoustic for a while - it's not as if you have no guitar at all to learn/practice on - save up a few extra bucks, and buy something that you're not going to be flipping on Craigslist same time next year. IME the $500+/- bracket is where low-end instruments begin to take a quantum leap in hardware, tone, QC, and variety (FYI there's a few nice hollowbodies and semi-hollows in this price range - I'd check some of these out as well) and really begin to come into their own - and a wisely-purchased piece could well wind up being a lifetime keeper; just be patient - when your next guitar "speaks" to you you'll know it - and you'll want the wherewithal to add it to your stash when it happens...
Old 01-13-2017, 08:51 PM

Talking

Thanks for the very informative information. You guys are great and very nice. I now have a new addiction I guess.

I went by guitar center today and looked around. I have to stay under $200 or my wife will snack me over the head with whatever I come home with. So, I looked at a lot of guitars. The guys there were nice enough to hook few up for me. I know this is bad, but I couldn't tell much difference in the nice ones compared to the Squier affinity I'm wanting to get. The guy playing it could I'm sure. I just don't know enough yet. Very confusing. I did like how the Squier fit in my hands.

So, I have a friend who owns a music store who sold me the two acoustics. He didn't lead me wrong there. He has numerous to pick from and he knows I'm hooked now...... So, he could probably sell me whatever ..... However, he said just get one of the Squier affinity type entry level guitars for now and come back and get something nice for xmas when I know more about guitars.

At this point, he's right. I don't know jack about guitars. Based on tonight's practice, I need a cheap one so I can break it in half. Unless I change my mind..... Probably get the Squier affinity tomor.

Thanks again guys. I will follow-up with what I get. If you don't hear from me, you know the wife caught me with coming in the door.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars