The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I've always thought Bocote looks exactly like a guitar back and side should look.
I agree! Bocote has this rustic mature look. It's the kind of wood that if you were making a box it would be for tobacco or gunpowder or maybe those old gold coins somebody gave you before they died. There's music inside a guitar made with Bocote.

Meanwhile I have bent the sides. I'm putting an arm bevel on this one so you can see the Spanish Cedar banana shaped support:

I'm also using Spanish Cedar for the kerfing:

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-11-2021, 08:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the side set ready for the top and bottom:

The second picture shows where the back is going to glue to. Notice how the inner edge is a smooth continuous line? There are no jags where the end block is or where the side braces come up. The only intrusion is the bottom of the heel block which is a structural necessity and isn't in an active area anyway. I point this out because any point along that line creates a stressor on the back which could eventually cause a crack. Another issue is any intrusion reduces the vibration of the tonewood.
When I voice tops and backs I put them in a tapping mold which holds the periphery similar to how the sides will hold them when they are glued. It is amazing how dead a tone board gets when there is only one little loose point on the mold. So to me that is an obvious signal to have a clean smooth tight joint there.

Thanks for following along!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-12-2021, 05:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Setting up Back

Here are a couple pics of the back going on:

Old 07-12-2021, 12:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

That Bicote is pretty stuff. Great looking guitar Mark.
Don’t you smell dil pickles when you work it.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That Bicote is pretty stuff. Great looking guitar Mark.
Don’t you smell dil pickles when you work it.
Thanks John, I do smell a mild scent of dill when working Bocote. The surprising scents of woods come is such a weird array.

We've been selecting the wood for the trim and fretboard etc. We started with Black Ebony which brings out the dark grain lines in the Bocote. Then we considered Kauri wood because the gold color goes well with the gold in the Bocote. Finally, we decided on the Desert Ironwood. It has the gold as a nod to the Bocote and Cedar and it also has a very rich dark brown for contrast. Plus it's just the most beautiful wood in the whole world:

Here is the fretboard:

You can see how it will contrast the Bocote when used as binding:

The Ironwood is perhaps the best binding and fretboard wood there is. It shows no pores, it's hard as nails, shines up amazingly and reacts very little to changes in heat and humidity. Everything you want in a trim wood.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 07-14-2021, 07:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Logo

I'm building this guitar for an old family here in town. My client's grandfather built the Peterborough town hall. They've had a family farm for generations:

I was asked to try to incorporate something of the farm into the design of this guitar. I will be using that tree logo from the sign in the sound port and on the headstock.

When I visited the farm they had taken down an old Apple tree that was right next to the family farmhouse. Well, of course, I picked up some of that tree and am also using it on the headstock and sound port. Here is a picture of the headstock overlay:

The Applewood has a bit of curl and I bound it in Desert Ironwood with 7 strips of Maple and Black purfling. I'll have it on the headstock before carving the tree logo.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Finally, we decided on the Desert Ironwood. It has the gold as a nod to the Bocote and Cedar and it also has a very rich dark brown for contrast. Plus it's just the most beautiful wood in the whole world:
I endorse that sentiment. If only someone had a four piece back set of quartersawn desert ironwood!

Jamie
Old 07-14-2021, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I'm building this guitar for an old family here in town. My client's grandfather built the Peterborough town hall. They've had a family farm for generations:

I was asked to try to incorporate something of the farm into the design of this guitar. I will be using that tree logo from the sign in the sound port and on the headstock.

When I visited the farm they had taken down an old Apple tree that was right next to the family farmhouse. Well, of course, I picked up some of that tree and am also using it on the headstock and sound port.
I love a good homage to a client, especially one with such a long history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
I endorse that sentiment. If only someone had a four piece back set of quartersawn desert ironwood!

Jamie
If anyone has any, it would be Ray Kraut. I've seen pictures of him with loads of it on a trailer. Weather or not it's suitable for back and sides is another question.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

A magnificent color palette in this Woodsman - once again!
Very warm and inviting.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post

Jamie
Simon Fay has a guitar with sides and back of Desert Ironwood. If you are interested, check it out. God knows where he got such a piece of wood.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Simon Fay has a guitar with sides and back of Desert Ironwood. If you are interested, check it out. God knows where he got such a piece of wood.
Thanks Bard. Not surprising. Simon also is the only person I know of who has built with Brazilian Kingwood, man what a beauty that guitar is.

I see that you appreciate unusual wood, I love all those interesting guitars in your signature. Millennium Sequoia, so cool! Tiples, so cool! etc...
Old 07-15-2021, 07:54 PM

Dave MacCubbin has also used Kingwood, I played it, a very nice guitar

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 07-15-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have been looking for Kingwood for awhile now. It is easy to find billets wide enough for sides but I have never found an 8" wide billet acceptable for backs. I'm thinking I could pick some up for trim, fretboards and bridges though.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sound Port

I have roughed in the sound port. It is the same Applewood from the farm with a Desert Ironwood border and the tree logo cut out:

Thank you for viewing
Mark

Old 07-17-2021, 03:19 PM

Great job Mark, those personal touches with the logo and Applewood are make it all worthwhile!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop