The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeproof View Post
I am pretty firmed up on the need for a HSC while flying. Any other's that fly with MONO?
If I had to fly with an X7 I would probably suck it up and pay the cash to get a hiscox case from emerald that is properly sized.

One advantage of Rainsong is that they build traditional Martin/Guild shapes, so you can generally buy an aftermarket case without too much difficulty.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-09-2018, 04:01 PM

We all have beautiful CF guitars, and to me, it's worth spending the extra money to get the right case. It's a world of difference with the Mono and the Reunion Blues cases. If I owned an Emerald guitar I would definitely get it from them. Cutting corners will only cause great regret later if something happens.

Happy Playing!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
If I had to fly with an X7 I would probably suck it up and pay the cash to get a hiscox case from emerald that is properly sized.

One advantage of Rainsong is that they build traditional Martin/Guild shapes, so you can generally buy an aftermarket case without too much difficulty.
Do they have a Hiscox case for the X7? I thought it was just the gig bag option. I will definitely add a Hiscox hard case too if the X7 has one available.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Well then there is the OF660

Nobody is having issues with these right? (This question has more to do with actual travel with the guitar than the quality of the guitar itself.)

Last edited by steelvibe; 09-09-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added emphasis
Old 09-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Nice sounding guitar...The Journey OF660M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OIFPImR7_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCqJAc5guQc

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 09-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

Nobody is having issues with these right?
I had one...briefly. I loved the backpack and carbon fiber, it sounded fine too, but I found it didn’t pop back together that easily. I may have had a bad one, as I always saw them snap together easily online, but I always had to struggle with it, and one time a string snapped on me when I was putting it together. After having it a week or so, I returned it and bought the Emerald X7 instead. Again, no idea if mine was just a bad one as videos looked much simpler than mine was.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
Do they have a Hiscox case for the X7? I thought it was just the gig bag option. I will definitely add a Hiscox hard case too if the X7 has one available.
They do not have a HSC sized for an X7. Alistair briefly toyed with the idea of adding padding to the HSC for the X10. Kevin didn't bother with that idea and suggested the SKB for the GS mini instead.
Parker Niitefly M
Old 09-09-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
I had one...briefly. I loved the backpack and carbon fiber, it sounded fine too, but I found it didn’t pop back together that easily. I may have had a bad one, as I always saw them snap together easily online, but I always had to struggle with it, and one time a string snapped on me when I was putting it together. After having it a week or so, I returned it and bought the Emerald X7 instead. Again, no idea if mine was just a bad one as videos looked much simpler than mine was.
The wood one I tried snapped together nicely like you see in most reviews. The CF version was very tight and didn't seem to set just right at the position just prior to pushing back to set it to the body. That was just one factor that made me go with the Emerald sight unseen.
Parker Niitefly M
Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
. . . . Anyone gate check a CF guitar with just a gigbag?
Happened to me with an early Emerald X7 several years ago with the standard X7 gig bag.

Overseas flight on an US airline, then transferred to a local flight to final destination. Bag was scuffed and metal zipper tabs bent to a right angle shape, but . . .

Guitar was perfect.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Nobody is having issues with these right? (This question has more to do with actual travel with the guitar than the quality of the guitar itself.)
I have the OF660 and highly recommend it, first as a guitar, second as the best possible travel guitar (this applies to their wood versions as well).

However, yes, there have been quality issues on occasion--not often. I would recommend buying from someplace that has good return and replacement policies--even though the chances are very slim there will be problems, but they can exist (I know from experience).

But regardless of any store's policy, I can tell you that Journey staff are unbelievably helpful and will bend over backwards to give you amazing customer service to solve any issue you have. They really go above and beyond. I'm very happy with my Journey.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I have the OF660 and highly recommend it, first as a guitar, second as the best possible travel guitar (this applies to their wood versions as well).

However, yes, there have been quality issues on occasion--not often. I would recommend buying from someplace that has good return and replacement policies--even though the chances are very slim there will be problems, but they can exist (I know from experience).

But regardless of any store's policy, I can tell you that Journey staff are unbelievably helpful and will bend over backwards to give you amazing customer service to solve any issue you have. They really go above and beyond. I'm very happy with my Journey.

Thanks AC. Have you flown with it?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post

AC, do the Journey sound as good as they do on the youtubes? They sound super warm!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks AC. Have you flown with it?
Yes, but learned some things not to do.

No problems at all getting it on off the planes. An easy carry on. Great design. Used as intended, and it's a joy all the way.

I was on a trip and not planning to return for many, many months, so I decided to max out the insides of the guitar with additional goodies to bring with me since it was on a USA airline and they didn't, at that time, weigh carry on luggage as do other international airlines. Great, I thought.

It was a great idea all the way until I went through TSA and the equivalents in other countries on the way to my destination. They went nuts and wanted to see EVERYTHING I had packed inside the guitar and in the case pockets which I had also jammed with stuff. I never intended to take the stuff out but one time and the way I packed it made it VERY difficult to unpack quickly as you need to do while lines are waiting for you.

I finally made it through and to my destination with lots of repacking after every inspection point and learned the hard way not to ever do that again. Yup, go ahead and put some stuff inside, but keep it reasonable.

Also, the Journey bag with backpack straps is normally comfortable enough, but not when you add the triple or quadruple the weight of the guitar--with stuffed goodies--basically things I could not buy in my destination country. I will resist the temptation next time.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
AC, do the Journey sound as good as they do on the youtubes? They sound super warm!
I'm going to post my reply along with a review in the other thread on the Journey OF660.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The wood one I tried snapped together nicely like you see in most reviews. The CF version was very tight and didn't seem to set just right at the position just prior to pushing back to set it to the body. That was just one factor that made me go with the Emerald sight unseen.
Update: I purchased a SKB GS mini case for flight travels and will probably use the gig bag when traveling by car.

The case is not a perfect fit, but works. The X7's neck does not sit on the case's neck rest (about 1" higher). The strap button gets in the way so you have to push in on the underlying styrofoam in that area to soften it up to get the room needed. The X7's body is deeper which means you need to wear in the styrofoam a bit on the top part of the case. The body fits snuggly and the case will wear in just fine over time.
Parker Niitefly M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber