The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM

I am NOT the original OP but it seems that I am the one with the powered mixer looking to deside what to do. I started a "different" thread as to try to keep this thread focussed on the OP's request for info concerning these new type units.

I think it's unfair to make analysis without checking these out personally. My questions have hopefully focussed on people's experience of these units to give opinions.

I posted a link earlier to another thread from some time lat year. It was a very long read and the focus was on the BagMan BEFORE it's release. There were many that were more than skeptical. A few even cynical in their replies and maybe some even justifiably. Throughout that thread Larry replied often and often skeptical of the claims or even existence of this BagMan all the while remaining respectful and open minded to wait to cast judgement till he actually experienced it himself. A lot can be learned from reading that thread as well as a subsequent thread on Larry's evaluation. (Wish I could find the evaluations of the nay-sayers)

Everyone has a right to their opinions. Everyone has the right to be skeptical. But no one really has the right to make dogmatic judgement without ever experiencing these units first hand. (Well at least I don't think so)

And AGAIN, I don't know Larry at all. I don't see any of his comments trying to force anything down anyone's throat or forcing his opinion on anyone.

By a show of hands: Who here has had a small PA System, A Bose L1, tried a SoloAmp in a live performace situation and has given the BagAmp a go???

I believe those are the only ones qualified to give an opinion on ALL of these comparisons. And not that anyone's outcome would have anymore validity than anothers'. It's just that you really NEED to experience all of these first hand to be able to qualify an opinion. (Again IMO)

Last edited by BoB/335; 10-16-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
If you sit right in front of any speaker it will be very loud. I don't care if it's a Bose, BagAmp, SoloAmp, or anything else. You can not defy physics. The trick is to find a good placement so you can hear yourself and the audience can hear you. ...
The graphic below illustrates how a line array though producing the same volume as a conventional speaker system when measured a few feet in front of the speaker, is louder at the far end of the room. Since with a line array the volume doesn't have to be turned up as loud as a conventional speaker system to reach the back of the room adequately, one can stand in front of the speaker system and not find it too loud.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The graphic below illustrates how a line array though producing the same volume as a conventional speaker system when measured a few feet in front of the speaker, is louder at the far end of the room. Since with a line array the volume doesn't have to be turned up as loud as a conventional speaker system to reach the back of the room adequately, one can stand in front of the speaker system and not find it too loud.

Now THAT's the kind of info that contributes to a discussion like this!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I'm curios as to how one would join 2 BagAmps for a Duo situation to get both performers coming through both units. It seems to be a feature that is mentioned when talking about the SoloAmp.

Quoting my own post. That's funny. Did someone answer this and I missed it?
I am concerned about no protection of the speakers on the BagAmp. I'll probably wait till this is addressed by the manufacturer.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quoting my own post. That's funny. Did someone answer this and I missed it?
I am concerned about no protection of the speakers on the BagAmp. I'll probably wait till this is addressed by the manufacturer.
Simply run one cable from the Monitor Out of SoloAmp A to the Monitor In of SoloAmp B and a second cable from the Monitor Out of SoloAmp B to the Monitor In of SoloAmp A.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:41 PM

Should I re-quote my quote of myself?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Checking out the back panels of both amps will reveal the differences:

Regards,

SpruceTop
OK Let's start oer again. How do you join 2 BagAmps?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Humanist

Quote:
I don't think you can. Perhaps this will be possible with their mixer. If a solo act needed two BagAmps (for whatever reason), certainly you would then need a mixer of some kind.

...but now were getting away from the "portable" side of the topic, and perhaps talking about use in larger venues than some of this equipment was intended.

...and that's apparently why the BagAmp is $300 less than the SoloAmp...fewer features on the basic unit, for the most basic, portable, high-quality-sound use. Add-on and spend more if you need it.

The Bose gear has this as a possibility, with their T1.

For these two true line-array systems, I think the claim is that they are better-used as solo gear, and if you have two (or more) people on stage, each person has their own system.

Based on the dispersion graphs that Herb posted, everyone on-stage would have their full sound dispersed throughout the room, and including as a partial monitor for the other on-stage musicians.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I would think the connections would be the same as with a SoloAmp. One cable goes from the Line Output jack on the back of BagAmp A to one of the Input jacks on the front of the BagAmp B with another cable going from the Line Output Jack of BagAmp B to one of the Input jacks on the front of BagAmp A.

From the BagAmp web site:
• Rear panel XLR line output (for mixer, other BagAmp, or Sub)
Old 10-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I don't think you can. Perhaps this will be possible with their mixer. If a solo act needed two BagAmps (for whatever reason), certainly you would then need a mixer of some kind.

...but now were getting away from the "portable" side of the topic, and perhaps talking about use in larger venues than some of this equipment was intended.

...and that's apparently why the BagAmp is $300 less than the SoloAmp...fewer features on the basic unit, for the most basic, portable, high-quality-sound use. Add-on and spend more if you need it.

The Bose gear has this as a possibility, with their T1.

For these two true line-array systems, I think the claim is that they are better-used as solo gear, and if you have two (or more) people on stage, each person has their own system.

Based on the dispersion graphs that Herb posted, everyone on-stage would have their full sound dispersed throughout the room, and including as a partial monitor for the other on-stage musicians.
I'm an idiot.

If a SOLO act wants to use two BagAmps, you simply come out of the XLR output on the back of the first unit (which the solo artist is plugged into), and go directly into one of the front XLR inputs on the second unit. One cable, and you're done.

What I said for multiple-musician stage-use above still stands. Each should have their own unit.

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-16-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I would think the connections would be the same as with a SoloAmp. One cable goes from the Line Output jack on the back of BagAmp A to one of the Input jacks on the front of the BagAmp B with another cable going from the Line Output Jack of BagAmp B to one of the Input jacks on the front of BagAmp A.

From the BagAmp web site:
• Rear panel XLR line output (for mixer, other BagAmp, or Sub)

If it's a SOLO performer the loop is not necessary.

See my post just above...

With multiple performers (where a loop might be necessary) you end up with not enough inputs on the BagAmp, unless each performer simply uses their own system...and no looping is necessary!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I'm an idiot.

What I said for multiple-musician stage-use above still stands. Each should have their own unit.
And these units disperse wide enough that there would be no reason to "monitor" one with the other as with the SoloAmp?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Humanist

Quote:
And these units disperse wide enough that there would be no reason to "monitor" one with the other as with the SoloAmp?
I have never used a Bose or BagAmp (nor SoloAmp) on-stage with multiple performers each having their own unit.

Bose's diagrams show that in a multi-musician setting, when placed properly (behind and to one side of the performer), each musician would be closest to their own amp.

They would therefore (according to Bose) get a bit more of their own sound in the "mix", but based on the dispersion characteristics of the true line-array, they would also be able to hear the other musicians...just like the audience.

This should hold true for the BagAmp, also as a true line-array.

My experience with the SoloAmp is that it cannot be placed behind you in this kind of environment, so it's just not the way you can effectively use this gear.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
In theory, yes. Although it doesn't appear that the high frequency dispersion of the BagAmp (frequencies much higher than the actual notes) would be as wide as that of the Bose L1, theoretically speaking,
Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM

It's starting to click a little (I'm a little slow) I read somewhere the other day about one of these units (might have been Bose) that the idea behind this philosophy in a group setting is that each one have their own to amplify their sound where they are so that it would simulate a fully acoustic performance. In a total acoustic performance involving several performers, the audience would be able to "plot" where each instrument is coming from (as in a small orchestral ensemble in an intimate setting) By having a "solo unit" behind each player SHOULD work the same as listening to the performer alongside you in any acoustic performance. Another example woth be a fully acoustic Bluegrass situation involving a stand-up bass, acoustic guitar, banjo, and fiddle.

Am I getting this??? (Finally???)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification