The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Rainsong hangs with the best..

I just wanted to throw this out there. I have an older HI built Rainsong WS1000. I think it was made in like 2004 or so but I'm not 100% sure.

I sat yesterday and compared it to what I consider to be some of the finest fingerstyle guitars I've owned. For responsiveness and volume the Rainsong hangs with the best of the best. I tell you for under $1500 used you can't find a more responsive instrument!! The notes just leap out of it with little to no effort!!!

The guitars I was comparing it with were $9000+ show piece guitars built by some great builders.

I'll have to get around to doing a video of my older WS1000 just for fun. It gets used and abused but yet it sings!!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Guest 928

Rainsong has produced a number of really fine instruments. There have also been a few bad eggs in the batch, but those have been few and far between. Rainsong has taken a lot of risks in its designs, materials, and builds and by continuing to innovate has managed a long history of superb instruments. Hats off.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 PM

Great story thanks..I like reading these things.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Agreed. My spring 2001 WS-1000 that was built in Hawaii is a wonderful guitar. It can give everything I want from an acoustic guitar, and is the best sounding stage guitar that I've ever used. For years I always said that it would be the ONE instrument that got rescued if the house were on fire (assuming that the wife and cats were also safe). All the other guitars would have to take their chances.

Of late I've been mostly playing my Emerald X20. I still very much like the WS-1000 and will never part with it, but the comfort of those curves and bevels are alluring. I also like the original N1 neck a little better than the current N2 neck with truss rod. Most folks preferred the N2 neck when both were an option in 2011. Either neck profile is fine for me, but given a choice.....

BTW they moved from the islands to Washington state in late 2001 according to my notes.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:15 PM

I like reading about Rainsong Guitars.
I'm a believer!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

The Rainsong Al Petteway LE does indeed hang with the good acoustics of its size and configuration. Truly an excellent guitar that lacks nothing. Highly recommended, especially for fingerstyle, but flatpick as well.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 PM

I've certainly found that my Rainsongs are more responsive to fingerpicking than any wooden guitar. The notes just leap off the strings, and are very responsive to playing dynamics. I think it owes a lot to the lack of bracing on the top, which tends to absorb the vibrations in a traditional, or even braced CF, guitar.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
The Rainsong Al Petteway LE does indeed hang with the good acoustics of its size and configuration. Truly an excellent guitar that lacks nothing. Highly recommended, especially for fingerstyle, but flatpick as well.
Understatement. I don't know how it could have been said any more definitely, but still understatement. Also, the two-channel electronics on the APLE, once you fool around with the blend, and placement of the internal mic, do the best job of creating a natural acoustic sound, of any I've tried.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

I agree about the 2 source electronics Pete. I have a similar great sounding setup with a K&K trinity in a very nice cedar/walnut Irish guitar. The fact that the system is integral to the APLE is very nice indeed. Being able to blend the mic totally in and out makes the guitar useful in a wide variety of settings.

I’ve played my APLE amplified, solo and in a small group (2nd guitar, harmonica, vocalist) in front of 50+ folks, and no one ever said anything about it other than “that’s a good sounding guitar”. When I show people the inside CF weave they are amazed. The sunburst finish is suggestive enough of trad wood finishes that non playing audiences don’t give a 2nd glance.

I talked the other guitar player into getting a Rainsong Parlor. Imo that’s another fine instrument, and the longer scale makes a nice contrast to the player to the shorter scale 12 fret Petteway.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:54 AM

My WS-1000 has the Fishman Blender in it - piezo UST and internal microphone that can be blended. The sound coming back through the monitors was amazing the first time I played it on a real festival stage.

No direct experience with the APSE / APLE except acoustically in a store once, but I believe that a blended dual source is the key to great stage sound. I prefer to see the CF weave on my guitars, but on stage they simply look black.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

I will say to get a wood guitar that is as responsive cost a lot more money than any Rainsong I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I've certainly found that my Rainsongs are more responsive to fingerpicking than any wooden guitar. The notes just leap off the strings, and are very responsive to playing dynamics. I think it owes a lot to the lack of bracing on the top, which tends to absorb the vibrations in a traditional, or even braced CF, guitar.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Rainsong hangs with the best..

I bought an Emerald X20 and it immediately became my favorite CF guitar. My Rainsong H-OM was left lingering in the rack unplayed. After playing the X20 one night I picked up the H-OM and started playing the same song. I immediately remembered why I bought it. It is truly a wonderful guitar, now the Emerald is jealous.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I bought an Emerald X20 and it immediately became my favorite CF guitar. My Rainsong H-OM was left lingering in the rack unplayed. After playing the X20 one night I picked up the H-OM and started playing the same song. I immediately remembered why I bought it. It is truly a wonderful guitar, now the Emerald is jealous.

Those 2 are both fine music makers... ok depends on whose playing but you know what I mean
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-20-2018, 04:41 AM

I briefly played a Rainsong WS1000N2M Marine Burst yesterday. Not really a fan of the Marine Burst, but I'm still thinking about that guitar. I can see my J-45 leaving to make room for a WS in black.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ches View Post
I can see my J-45 leaving to make room for a WS in black.
Now that's a testimony!
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber