The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 AM

Default Is there an onboard dual source preamp for different mfg pickups?

My Breedlove has the stock Fishman Classic IV with an UST pickup. I want to add a SBT, most likely the JJB 330, and be able to connect and balance both to a preamp that mounts to the side like my current Fishman. Does such a thing exist and if so can you adjust the input impedance? I know I can make it work with an outboard preamp but I prefer to keep is as simple as possible.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Slaughter View Post
My Breedlove has the stock Fishman Classic IV with an UST pickup. I want to add a SBT, most likely the JJB 330, and be able to connect and balance both to a preamp that mounts to the side like my current Fishman. Does such a thing exist and if so can you adjust the input impedance? I know I can make it work with an outboard preamp but I prefer to keep is as simple as possible.
Hi MJ

I've seen people disconnect the guitar's pickup from barn-door setups and just splice a K&K in place of it…and it worked just fine on both of them. Both just did it as an experiment and it worked well.

Both were Fishman dual source barn-door rigs in Taylor guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-18-2018, 04:22 PM

Takamine's Cool Tube?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Takamine-Pr...S!-1:rk:5:pf:0
Old 10-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi MJ

I've seen people disconnect the guitar's pickup from barn-door setups and just splice a K&K in place of it…and it worked just fine on both of them. Both just did it as an experiment and it worked well.

Both were Fishman dual source barn-door rigs in Taylor guitars.

I might try splicing two pickups together first but I suspect I will need to be able to balance the outputs. Maybe just putting a simple thumb wheel type control inside the guitar would be enough but if I can get a "barn door", never knew that's what they're called, preamp that can work with different pickups that would be my preference.

Are all UST pretty much the same or is there a real difference? They seem so simple and not like magnetic pickups which can sound very different from one another but I've never experimented with piezo pickup swapping.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I believe SunnAudio's Blender DI will take two pickups and , well, blend them. In fact the Blender DI they made for my open mic is this circuit in a box. We have run every combination of pickups through this, albet from two different guitars, but it was designed to be an onboard unit. You can get it with a tone control too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification