The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Doing the unthinkable to my D-28 . . .

O.K. -
I have drunk the Kool-Aid regarding not putting strap buttons on a classic like a D-28 (although mine is a new MD model . . .) for all the "right" reasons.

But, I just cannot reach a comfortable playing position going "strapless" - the details are unimportant. I am even using the beautiful and comfortable Sound Seat and cannot seem to find "the spot".

So, my question is - if I am taking the plunge with strap buttons on the D-28, is there a type of button (material, look, installation, etc.) which best reflects the history and style of this beautiful instrument? Or, are they all the same?

Added Note: The D-28 MD does have gold tuning machines and gold frets - I see where Schaller makes a gold tone strap button - That would seem like a great option, eh?

I will have a luthier do the work - I am not up to drilling into the instrument.

Thanks for any input (other than "don't do it") ;>)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schaller.jpg (21.5 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by Rixtoy; 08-10-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:04 AM

I’ve owned 10 new Martins in my life. I play standing up. I always add the strap button. If you sit down, and don’t play out, no need. If you play out, and stand up. No need to hesitate.
2010 American Deluxe Telecaster
2003 Avalon Legacy L25
Old 08-10-2020, 08:28 AM

I always use a strap, seated or standing, so buttons have been added to all of my guitars that did not come with them. I didn't have the guts to drill into my Martin J-40 when it was brand new, so I had Gryphon do it. I have added buttons to many instruments since, so would be careful but not hesitate now. I used the typical gold button to match the tuners.

FYI, I have never used the locking tuners that you pictured. I get why you want them, but that is a big hunk 'o metal to put on the neck heel. I might use a standard button there and put the locking one on the other end. YMMV. Most of my guitars have endpin jacks, and that tends to stretch out the holes on that end. The straps don't seem to get loose on the neck end.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I always use a strap, seated or standing, so buttons have been added to all of my guitars that did not come with them. I didn't have the guts to drill into my Martin J-40 when it was brand new, so I had Gryphon do it. I have added buttons to many instruments since, so would be careful but not hesitate now. I used the typical gold button to match the tuners.

FYI, I have never used the locking tuners that you pictured. I get why you want them, but that is a big hunk 'o metal to put on the neck heel. I might use a standard button there and put the locking one on the other end. YMMV. Most of my guitars have endpin jacks, and that tends to stretch out the holes on that end. The straps don't seem to get loose on the neck end.
Thanks -
Yes, on gold
I agree on the locking buttons - would prefer just the button.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:46 AM

Welp... I'm not a fan of guitar straps.

On the rare occasion I stand while playing, I have a strap with a small cord that I can tie around the headstock. Works fine.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:57 AM

Tying to the peg head is certainly the least invasive option. For me, tying that cord around the peg head folk-style lets the guitar slide to the right of my body, and puts stress on my bad right shoulder. A button on the neck heel lets the guitar body hang centered on my body, which is more comfortable for shoulder, wrist and elbow. But everyone has their preference.....
Old 08-10-2020, 09:02 AM

I don’t like the balance of a guitar using just bootlaces at the headstock end.

Adding a button at the neck heel is so commonplace no one would bat an eyelid even if you were ever to sell it imho. It certainly wouldn’t put me off.

As for strap buttons themselves search the web stores or locally if you can for regular metal buttons (often they come with a little round felt pad to put between the button and the wood), not the ones designed for electric guitars that you have shown.

Check with Martin themselves for best placement - then if you can get a luthier to actually do the work. I recently had a neck button added to my new Furch 12-string and am delighted that I got my local tech to do the job - and because I paid for a pair of buttons was able to use the spare one and replace the old plastic one on my Guild!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Rixtoy, I have Schaller strap lock buttons on all of the guitars that I gig with, and on one of my banjos and all of the mountain dulcimers that I stand up and sing with when I’m onstage.

I also have them on the National RM-1 resonator mandolin that I helped design because that is one HEAVY little instrument - it fools you the same way that a Gibson Les Paul fools you the first time you see one: it looks as though it couldn’t possibly weigh as much as it actually does!

So the Schaller strap locks are an effective and reliable way to keep your instruments attached to their straps.

What I have found is that the time I’m most liable to have straps pop off an instrument’s strap buttons is when I rapidly change instruments onstage. I always have at least two and often three instruments with me when I gig out, so that changeover from one instrument to another happens a lot. Before I discovered and started using the Schaller hardware, probably 95% of my straps popping off their strap buttons incidents took place then.

Anyway, I consider the Schaller strap locks to be a godsend and have been using them on most of my instruments for over forty years now.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-10-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Rixtoy, I have Schaller strap lock buttons on all of the guitars that I gig with, and on one of my banjos and all of the mountain dulcimers that I stand up and sing with when I’m onstage.

I also have them on the National RM-1 resonator mandolin that I helped design because that is one HEAVY little instrument - it fools you the same way that a Gibson Les Paul fools you the first time you see one: it looks as though it couldn’t possibly weigh as much as it actually does!

So the Schaller strap locks are an effective and reliable way to keep your instruments attached to their straps.

What I have found is that the time I’m most liable to have straps pop off an instrument’s strap buttons is when I rapidly change instruments onstage. I always have at least two and often three instruments with me when I gig out, so that changeover from one instrument to another happens a lot. Before I discovered and started using the Schaller hardware, probably 95% of my straps popping off their strap buttons incidents took place then.

Anyway, I consider the Schaller strap locks to be a godsend and have been using them on most of my instruments for over forty years now.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks for that input . . .
Rixtoy
Old 08-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
Thanks for that input . . .
Rixtoy
Made me watch the schaller strap lock video... seems cool... they've
"upgraded" them, now they call them "s locks" ...

I used to use one of those rubber washer locks, like from Ernie Ball...

-Mike
Old 08-10-2020, 10:07 AM

What happened, Mike, as explained to me by the folks at Allparts, is that the patent expired on their original design. Chinese companies immediately started making inferior copies, a set of which I got because I needed a set of strap locks and couldn’t find any Schallers.

Those were crude enough that I pulled them off the minute I brought home an original Schaller strap lock set I’d found.

So Schaller developed this newer version that had enough differences to the design that they could patent it. It actually is an upgrade, but hardly a major one.

I have a couple of sets of this newer version on a couple of instruments and think that it’s somewhat better than the originals, but definitely not enough to make me want to replace any of many older sets that have served me faithfully over the decades.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Les Pauls have a really bad design flaw with their strap button location that "encourages" the strap to let go. But no one thinks twice about it (until their neck breaks). It's so prevalent you can search online and find a ton of les pauls with broken necks (more than any other guitar by far).

I had such a failure and have since become fanatical about strap security. Originally enamored of strap locks, I came to find them big, heavy, clunky and in the way on the heel.

I use these now

And if you have the luxury of never removing your strap (which *can* in fact be done) you can put a single stitch to close the hole on your strap for even more security.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I have the original style Schaller Straplocks on all my guitars that I might possibly perform with.

I'm grateful to Wade's explanation as to why the originals are only available a cheaper copies and I'm reluctant to buy them.

My advice goes against ALL other popular options.
I drill and screw in Schaller screws only to the END of the heel !!! Shock horror!
I mount the male part into the heel with a thick leather washer which keeps the metalwork of both sides well away from the guitar itself.

I have been doing this since some time in the '70s with only one poor result: I lent my guitar and strap to a banjo player during a rehearsal in my home. Apparently the mechanism of the Schaller was too much for a banjo player, so he tried to wrench the strap off - causing a crack in he heel. He lacked enough humanity to apologise and merely handed it back to me saying "your guitar is broken!"
I have these locks on all my Collings guitars which have noticeable thinner heels than most other makes, and I have had no issues in nearly a quarter of a century.

IF the strap button is made in the most popular place - it restricts access to the upper neck and the strap is always slightly twisted.

If the strap (I only use 4-6 m/m think veg tanned leather straps), then the guitar will naturally hang with no falling forward giving you/me/one a perfect playing angle.

Further, when I am dead, and my wife sells off my guitars, the text already prepared for the eBay sales says " If wished, the Schaller Straplocks may be removed from the heel, and replaced with a simple fret marker or if required the end cap can be easily replaced.

Should I ever purchase another guitar, I would purchase a Schaller unit for it.

n.b. Any drill hole can be filled.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Les Pauls have a really bad design flaw with their strap button location that "encourages" the strap to let go.

I don't know if it is my strap or all SGs, but expecting my strap to stay
on my SG with no help was a certain pathway to disappointment...
the little rubber washers made all the difference for me...

-Mike
Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 AM

Waverly has some nice strap buttons. I put the ivoroid with a gold screw on my SJ-200. I wouldn't hesitate putting a tortoise, ebony or snakewood button on my HD-28 if it didn't already have a gold button on it.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...ap-button.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion