The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 06:22 AM

John Denver used an unwound 3rd on Berkeley Woman.

I wondered how he got that sound on the album. At the last concert I saw of his I had the opportunity to spend about 15 minutes with his guitar tech, looking at his guitars, talking about his setups, etc. but about the only thing I remember is him showing me the guitar for Berkeley Woman and telling me about the unwound 3rd.

Sure enough, when JD did Berkeley Woman he picked up that guitar and that's the only song on which he used that guitar.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 AM

I have been pondering an unwound third for a while now. One of my playing interests is Hawaiian slack-key, which includes a lot of parallel sixths on the 1st and 3rd sting, and plenty of movement up and down the neck. Sometimes I get some sliding noise moving between positions on the wound third string. I can also get some picking noise with my index finger along that string if I'm not extra careful about right hand attack. Yeah, I know it is all about clean technique but figured that an unwound third might be an easy way to "cheat" a bit, and worth buying a few singles to experiment with. It will either work or not....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion